1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel smell

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by newbi, Jan 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM.

1. newbi

newbi Member

hi everyone

i could smell fuel and having changed most of the rubber bends i came across this, fuel is on my hands after touching it but i cant see any fuel dripping from it, thats on drivers side carbie, same thing on other carbie but not as bad
    1st question - what is it
    2nd question - is it supposed to have fuel coming out

cliff Pic26.jpeg

2. newbi

newbi Member

just looked again, fuel has leaked below drivers side carbie, not a puddle just damp, i have not driven in 4 days, other side is dry under carbie

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Cliff, it's a thermostatic valve which regulates how much the accelerator pump discharges depending on temperature. It screws in and has a metal or fibre gasket. Patrick

Wiz and oldman like this.
  4. newbi

newbi Member

thanks Patrick, i think it was the carbie bowl screw, i emptied it a month ago and must not have done it up tight enough, tightened and no fuel leaking out now, couldnt get the other side tightened, bloody hard to get to

5. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I would also check the function of that accelerator pump thermostat. If its not bypassing fuel above 24c, its faulty.. Big fuel consumption issue.. extra 0.8cc fuel on each carb whenever you tap the pedal.

6. 1500king

Keep the aluminium sealing washer.

7. 1500king

BTW.. if your hose is not contitech, and I can see it.. its braided, but not contitech braided hose.. I'd chuck it in the bin.

8. 1500king

That pump thermostat is a wax pellet type thermostat. I've seen a couple leak fuel but not common. Many have failed though.. the wax leaks out.. then they stay shut, trashing your fuel economy.

9. newbi

newbi Member

how do i check if its faulty