Fund Raising at the Show

Discussion in 'Run to the Sun 2009' started by Roy, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Run To the Sun will not have an official show charity. However there will be fundraising on the day for a number of worthy causes

Guide Dogs - Queensland, will have a stall selling raffle tickets and have some great raffle prizes

Hands across the water - The following is from '2slow' a KC member, please PM him directly
    Hi Everyone,

In January (thats only 4 months away!!!) I am off on a 800km charity bicycle ride in Thailand to raise funds for an amazing childrens charity called Hands Across the Water. There is 32 riders going and we have all committed to raising $10 000.00 each. The charity was set up by an Austalian gentleman called Peter Baines who had been working in Thailand after the Tsunami identifying bodies and felt he had to do something for the children who were now orphans and with no welfare system to look after them Peter felt he had to do something as a matter of ugency.

Just a few of the things Hands has achieved to date are building 2 orphanages, purchase transport to get the kids to school, set up Rubber plantations & Fish Farms to help the community become self sustainable. I won't make this a huge post about the charity (check out www.handsacrossthewater.com.au) other than to say it has no political or religous ties, the local Thai people control how their kids should be brought up and not one cent goes to administration (any admin charges are personally absorbed by Peter and other board members, and for the ride all the riders are personally paying for all flights, meals accom etc to ensure 100% of money raised goes to Hands).

At the Run I will be selling raffle tickets as well as some beautiful coffee table books with a heap of the kids in so hope you can all buy a ticket or a book.

Thanks Roy for letting me raise money on the day it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bobby

Rural Fire Brigade - will be providing the Sausage Sizzle and hot drinks

2. 2slow

2slow Member

Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone who has been supporting Hands Across the Water, my personal donated total has now hit 14k, anyone who has ever been to Thailand will understand how much this will mean to the kids by keeping them off the streets.

The latest feedback from Hands is they have just taken in 7 more kids, 5 were from the same family. They lost their Father in the Tsunami and their mother could not cope abandoning them 18 months ago, the oldest had been caring for her siblings she is just 10 years old.

Hope to see you all at Run to the Sun.

Cheers

Bobby

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Great stuff! :) Kinda sends a shiver while also warming the heart, if that makes sense ... well done Bobby!

4. 2slow

2slow Member

Thanks Woz,

The sad part is these are only just a tiny tiny % of kids world wide who need our help (and their is plenty of great people dedicating their lives to helping them). I really don't know what to feel as after the ride I will still go home to a safe warm house (if that makes sense).

Cheers

Bobby

5. 2slow

2slow Member

Hey everyone,

Don't forget to drop by my Kombi and grab some raffle tickets for Hands Across the Water, I have some great prizes including wine, picnic bag, skateboard.

I was lucky enough to spend some time on Thursday with a lady who works at one of the orphanages in Thailand who is out here for 3 months of intensive english training (she will be teaching the children english) and can tell you my determination to support them has become even stronger...what an amazing lady and if you are interested I can tell you some of her stories about the kids on the weekend.

Anyway, any support you can give would be sensational.

Cheers

Bobby