Gas bottle question

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by deepburn13, Dec 9, 2015.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Deep burn is what you will have if it catches fire while driving, remember gas sits low on the floor and you wont know its there till it goes bang and then its to late, those copper pipes can crack due to vibration so don't risk it.

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That could also be connected very easily so that if the ignition is switched on that the gas turns off. Or that you cannot start the car if the gas is turned on.

deepburn13 likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

My '75 Sopru had the gas bottle for the cooker sitting behind the passenger's seat. The fridge was not connected to gas so I put a gas bottle under the sink and ran copper lines under the van inside a hose to the fridge. I put vents in the floor with about 8 12mm hoses each about 150mm long to stop dirt getting in and some gauze to stop insects and reptiles.

It was legal then but would need a container for the gas bottle nowadays.

deepburn13 likes this.
  4. chris taylor

Once again like many things, out of site out of mind, gas bottles are dangerous and so are those connections. i wonder how many people check these things on a regular basis, not many I would suspect, they are there but because you CANT see them you don't worry, a simple check once a month or so could save you a whole load of grief , loss of love ones and loss of your van I know that sounds a bit dramatic but you cant be careful enough with gas, we have all seen kombis burning due to leaking petrol and we take steps to try and prevent it so why wouldn't we do it with gas, a bit of liquid detergent around connections will soon show you if there is a leak as you will see the bubbles appearing and if you see bubbles you know you know something is wrong . Perished O rings loose connections are all things that can be easily fixed . You all have a great day and happy travelling.

Regards Chris :rolleyes::eek:;):):)

deepburn13 and Weekender like this.
  5. chris taylor

I take all imfo given here as a genuine desire to ensure that fellow vw owners get the benefit of someone elses previous bad experiences and how to fix knowledge, I have been burnt by leaking gas although only mildly but enough to scare the hell out of me, I now treat gas with a lot of respect and will never knowingly take any chances.

betsy likes this.
  6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

As another Sopru owner, this is what we do.

Gas bottle is outside in its separate box as per factory, and is isolated here whenever not in use or driving. Connections and flexi hose replaced when we bought it to be sure.

Risk of CO2 is minimised by replacing the fridge with a 12/240V Waeco unit, running on solar. We didn't want to sleep in it with gas burning all night.

Always have a window open or pop top vent open while cooking - great for warming up the Bus on a cold morning, but be safe :)

7. Major Tom

Major Tom Member

I know this is an old thread but bare with me, if vehicles produced after '75 would have gas bottles in a seperate container vented to the exterior of the van, why do Trakka T3s have gas bottles stored inside to allow the use of the stove? I've thought a lot about the safety of my van considering this, but it seems like a huge effort to cut a hole in the side of the van to install a box.

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Could be worth a call to Trakka themselves......they are one of the few conversion companies still in existence....
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My '82 conversion by Camping Industries (Sydney) had the gas bottle in the cupboard behind the driver's seat with no vents. In use it was removed and connected to the stove which was mounted on top of the fridge behind the passenger's seat. If this was not OK then it should have failed the engineer's inspection when I had it registered in NSW in 1998. Maybe Trakka were doing the same back then?

Ian

10. chris taylor

Here in sth aust as was told to me by Dario Caravans, that all gas bottles must be vented to the outside to remove any gas that may leak, hence the installation of an exterior gas bottle storage container which must also have vents installed so spilt gas escapes. now this is just plain commonsence, any gas leaks inside the vehicle will just sit there and when there is a spark or some sort of flame the risk of an explosion is heightened, outside installation prevents this , any effort to prevent this and save you and any passengers you may on board not to mention the van is well worth it. SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS with gas , one other point is that you cant see gas and if it is on the floor you probably wont smell it either.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Engineer does not approve gas or electric.

I had my Doka passed in Victoria and then had a blue slip in NSW and after I realised that half of the centre seat belt was missing.

12. Major Tom

Major Tom Member

Is there any type of sensor on the market, like a carbon monoxide sensor, which could signal a gas leak? Really not keen to get a box installed.

13. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Certainly is, called gas detector. Has a little hot glow wire and it goes 'pop' when gas reaches a pre determined level. The pop triggers an alarm like smoke detector.
    Places a slow drain on your battery. Check out caravan or boat suppliers.

The way that small LP bottles got around the install rules was that the bottle was not installed, same as would be in any car going for a BBQ, or for gas lantern.
    It is permissible to carry bottles inside a vehicle if they are not installed. Must be carried upright.

Grantus likes this.
  14. chris taylor

So much for engineers inspections.

15. Major Tom

Major Tom Member

What is considered 'installed' then?
    Thanks for the feedback

16. chris taylor

Depending in what Aust state you live in i guess BUT i would say installed would mean an enclosed secure place outside with a lid or door that is vented to the outside, with a label in red saying GAS BOTTLE WITHIN ,[ this an emergency thing ] and is according to Dario Caravans who rewired my fridge and did all the gas works for fridge and stove is law in Sth Aust but not sure about other states. Someone from those states may be able to clarify their situations for you. I know I keep harping on this issue, but it is not safe to have a gas bottle that is hooked up to a fridge or stove inside the van, to many things to go wrong, if you look at new caravans and motor homes all gas bottles are outside and for a good reason. Another point is your insurance , you MAY not be covered if your van turns into a bbq because the bottle was on the inside,,, just a thought. Oh well some things to think about while having a cold something on a lovely Saturday afternoon under a shady tree by a flowing river somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  17. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

18. chris taylor

Just read your Qld-gas-certificate. 43609. and it is really specific about what one should do and should not do, but not sure whether it applies to all states.
    The point is though that if you are unfortunate enough to have a gas fire in your van and your gas bottle placement is incorrect apart from losing your van you could lose all your insurance benefits on the grounds of incorrect gas bottle placement, just a thought.

19. kenjisan

kenjisan Member

All the above concerns are why I have decided not to use gas for the fridge when camping with the family, and am now shopping around for a 3-way fridge/freezer that is a glorified esky (Chescold or Waeco so far) that goes outside the campsite tents etc.

This will also free up room for more cupboard space :)

I have considered a 12/240V system, but the requirements in VIC for new wiring are a little prohibitive. More importantly I haven't been able to find an electrician to install and certify appropriately. The other option i was considering s the solar panel/spare battery/fridge combo, but the spend was large for the small amount of time that i will spend at campsites without power in the future.

syncro likes this.
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Any caravan place will have an electrician that will do it.

chris taylor likes this.