1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas shocks lift?

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by jae, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jae

jae New Member

Its time for Kombi to get some new shocks, I'm looking at a full set of Monroe "GT-GAS" (15-0050, 15-0051) as that's whats recommend for a late kombi in their catalogue. My issue is that i've read gas shocks can lift suspension due to them being under pressure. I'm really not too keen on getting Kombi to sit any higher than it already does. I have enough issued with undercover car parks as it is. Has anyone has any experience with these shocks or type of shocks?

Also, how difficult is it to adjust the rear suspension hight? I've noticed that the rear drivers side is sitting about an inch or two lower than the passenger. So it looks like it's always leaning to the right a bit.

2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

kyb gas shocks

ive got a set of kyb gas shocks all round($600) and noticed that the front was raised a lot higher.
    The ride in nice and smooth ,although now i have an adjustable front beam and have it dropped it 3 plus inches.Very bumpy ride.
    Ive added a pic bus with gas shock.
    Cheers chuck

Attached Files:

3. jae

jae New Member

Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with the Monroes in the end. No lift that i can see, so i'm very happy with that and the ride is so much smoother that it was. Turns out the shocks i pulled off there were still the originals, so not much left of those. Now all i have to do is get the rear end levelled out.

4. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

nice to see you have it all sorted out jae....
    cheeers chuck

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

So the shocks didnt help level it out at all?

My 71 does the same thing but only an inch + half difference (hardly noticeable) but strangely to the passenger side. I think to adjust the rear suspension - you really need to know what you are doing from what I have heard.

Cheers,

6. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I would have though you only need to know how to use the spline table?

7. jae

jae New Member

No lift at all that I can see. From what I read in Bentley adjusting the back end is a bit involved and possibly difficult to get right when only adjusting it a small distance. It's seems a little over my head anyway.

8. Wooly

Wooly Member

Mmmmm... this is interesting! My kombi's front end sits up high , plus also when you stand on the back bumper and jump up and down you can hear knocking. Time for some new ones??