1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gasket sealant, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

guys,
    I'm starting to put the ancilliaries back on my type 4 two litre. I was thinking of putting gasket sealant to complement the paper gaskets on the mechanical fuel pump, oil filler neck, oil filter manifold plus any others that crop up. Do you guys generally do this to try and minimise leakage points or do you just rely on the gaskets to perform? What sealant do you recommend?
    Also, wasn't intending on putting anything on the valve covers as these will be accessed regularly for adjustment, i would think that most sensible,
    Again pardon a first time for lack of knowledge,

Regards

Mr h

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Never re-built an engine myself, however I do service the engine and adjust the valves.
    New gaskets every time the valves are done will prevent leaks....don’t use any sealant on the cork as it’ll stick to either the covers or the heads and can take a lot of time and patience to scrap away cleanly. Prevoius owner had done this to mine and it was a bastard to get back to clean...
    If all your components are in good condition and all the associated surfaces are true, I can’t see any benefit in adding more “stuff” than was used at the factory.....ie just gaskets.
    I’m sure others with more engine rebuild experience will offer their thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Yeah, i was reluctant to put anything other than new gaskets on the valve covers, other surfaces are pretty clean so maybe dry gaskets are the way to go, cheers for your 0.02c

Mr h

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Rocker gaskets i have never used goop.
    Usually just rub new gaskets with grease and put on neat.

mr happy likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Curil2 is safe on any you might want to have extra ' guarantee'. (obviously not exhausts :). )
    Carbs are usualy ok dry but doesn't hurt on manifold to head faces.
    I used it on push rod seals.
    I attach Cork gaskets to rocker covers with a very light bit of high temp silicone on covered face.
    Ensuring NONE is on inside edges where it could come off and block oil galleries.
    Then let it dry clamped on a spare head before fitting.
    Ensures gasket is in place when fitting and resists moving under crankcase vac conditions.
    Comes off easy at change time.

Barry likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Trouble with any goop on carb / head gasket is it can leave cardboard gasket bits on head which is a real bitch to get off.

mr happy likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Haven't had to remove Curil yet but its meant to be non setting.?
    Metho is solvent for aviation cement.
    Slow :)

mr happy likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

When I had to refresh Igor's engine (2 litre in 1800 case) we used no goop, sealant etc anywhere and no leaks after his heart was replaced ;) :oops: :eek: :D

mr happy likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Previous mechanic used red goop. Current mechanic says no need if case good (a known quantity). I'm a plan B person but would stick with what the factory did which was no goop;).
    Cheers

mr happy likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Should have qualified that case was NOT split - inlet manifold gasket (efi style :confused: on twin dellortto) had shat itself so leak down in that cylinder = remove carbs and put new metal gaskets on, remove heads (new push rod tube o rings), barrels honed, pistons cleaned and new rings :cool:

mr happy likes this.
  11. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Aviation gasket on pretty much everything at my place

mr happy, David H and robmich like this.
  12. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

A thin bead of 3 Bond, if its good enough for Subaru its ok with me.

mr happy likes this.