1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Box issue on T3 1984 - Mechanics required in West Melbourne

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I was driving and my van just stopped. No transmission anymore. There was a big noise underneath the chassis at the back, and I could shift the gear, engine was still running.

I tried to any gears (Reverse and the 5 other gears), nothing. When I engage any gear, it does a pinions noise, light noise.

I reckon something is broken in the gearbox.

So I need a mechanic good with transmission for this sort of models. Do you recommend any in West Melbourne (Living in Williamstown) and also some towing service not too expensive.

Thanks, Seb.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Check under the rear end and make sure you haven’t just dropped a drive shaft/ cv has become disconnected.
    Easy fix……just bolt it up again……if you can find all the bolts.
    Or, RACV should get you a free tilt tray home.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

In addition to Mark's suggestions above, check CV joints etc that were replaced recently to get your roadworthy.
    PR

oldman and syncro like this.
  4. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Far out, you were right. The bolts were not tightened enough on both CV joints (Right and Left).

I can't believe it. My regular mechanic (Also listed in "Vintage VW SOS" app, Power House Motor in NEwport, 5mns by walk to my home - this guy is brilliant and old school, I use him for my 2 cars for years), double checked the work of the previous mechanic I used for my RWC, and fixed it up.
    Will cost me 500 AUD including the towing... I am so p*****.

I would say I am relieved it's not the gearbox but still...

Syncro27, Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

$500Aud was that just to tighten the CV bolts or is there other damage caused.

6. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

You have to remove the wheels, remove the braking stuff, and you get 4h labor... 2 bolts were snapped. That's it.

7. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Are T3 bolts triple square like T2?
    PR

8. oldman

Is the cv/axle junction different to a T2 ?
    If not, I do not understand why all that work was required to rebolt the cv’s up again…..o_O
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Bah, I used another mechanic, because I don't trust the first one anymore.

You are right;

I could have done it myself actually for free...

oldman likes this.
  10. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

He didn't have an hoist available for my van neither, so maybe the access isn't as easy when you no access from underneath.

11. oldman

It is……
    I’ve done mine roadside after an experience like yours…….
    Oh well, it’s all a part of the learning experience……..just a bit more expensive than it needed to be.
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They are exactly the same CVs and axle to a T2.

oldman likes this.
  13. oldman

Thanks Phill, I was trying to work out why the “mech.” in question felt it necessary to remove the entire rear wheel system to work on a couple of cv bolts…….I thought that maybe there was something different between a T3 and T2 rear end……obviously not.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Perhaps the mechanic isnt able to extract the broken bolts with the axle hubs in place. I would have thought it could be done

grumble likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Did he let you know that it would take 4 times as long without a hoist, and cost 4 times as much, and offer to rebook the job at a time a hoist was available?

16. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

To be honest I am not bothered to have given this mech some money. I trust this one and he took my van straight away. He always serviced my cars at a reasonable prices in the past.
    Victoria businesses are plagued with bankruptcies so if it helps him during those hard times, I am happy. I discussed with him, and its quite hard for them at the moment, nobody drives.
    Really, it sucks here. By the end of lockdown planned in November, we will have 4 months lockdown. I cant imagine the stress for those guys.
    Anyway, I learnt what is the differential today and how to fix CV joints! :)

17. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

The CV's are enclosed in the lower arm which limits access to the broken bolts which makes them hard to remove particularly if they have been loose for a while.

Grantus, Barry, oldman and 2 others like this.
  18. oldman

Thanks Les, I was wondering if there was a difference in the setup, to a T2.
    Sounds like another (non) improvement through the models…..:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

grumble likes this.
  19. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Sorry Mark I missed the important point which is the change from torsion bar to coil spring suspension which changed the lower control arm and enclosed the CV joint in the arm.Cleaning the bolt recesses before trying to undo or tighten them can be a bugger and it is common to have the allen/splinesocket slip whilst tightening them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Grantus and oldman like this.