Gearbox / clutch?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by steve_4802, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks David - any brand in particular? Or are they all pretty much the same. Would be looking to fit it myself if it is straightforward enough o_O

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Very straight forward . All much the same. It's a leverage thing. Just changes the 'moment' (end force/fulcrum etc) & the distance you have to move the gear stick. Piece of p to fit. Remove all & locate where the new bit fits. Be careful about reinstall as final 'bolt down' is VERY important. Base of Gear stick vertical as starter. HMU for previous thread if needed. Short throw is what they do & this can also show other problems with worn linkages. It high lights them.
    The other guys have them http://www.justkampers.com.au/search/result/?q=short shifter t2
    Hate doing that when our sponsor doesn't have.
    Or I could be your co-pilot & change gears from the passengers seat:rolleyes:
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. David H

Second that:)
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  4. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Well, experimental drive today has me definitely leaning towards the QuickShift ... after once more getting into a "pressure situation". Had been happily driving round nice and relaxed with no shifting issues and then got into a spot'o'bother and while hunting for 2nd I decided to skip and aim for 3rd and instead discovered 1st. What I worked out (I think) that I am doing is that when I have to force the change, the gearstick is allowing me to push too far to the left so I am not finding 1st or 2nd properly ... relax on the push, let the gearshift centre itself and all came good. Thought I would share in case it helps others ... but a tighter shifter with a shorter throw may be just the ticket :)

5. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon. I have one of those empi short shifters installed. Hope to make it to we'll point next weekend so u can check it out. Cheers Paul

Gordon D likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A short shifter will not fix selection issues.....
    Have you tried repositioning the selector plate ( beneath the gear stick).
    The gear stick should sit at 90 degrees to the floor when in second.
    Takes a bit of dicking around but may solve your issue.
    Assume you've ruled out selector bush and coupling problems?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Gordon D likes this.
  7. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hi Mark - I need to find a good location to get under and check all the coupling/bush statuses ... but I am presuming they aren't too bad as when I move through the gears without the engine running, everything seems to be pretty good (cause I am not forcing anything o_O )
    The chap that did my roadworthy about 2 months ago did mention that there was a bit of slack in the gear lever and recommended a QuickShift to reduce the throw.
    I will have a look at both the selector plate and take a squizz at all the connections.
    TBH, I haven't been in enough Kombis to know what is usual and what should be a warning ... so all advice at things to look at is greatly appreciated :)

8. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks Paul - would love to compare lever actions :)

9. oldman

Slackness in throw will be either selector bush or selector coupling.....everything else is a solid metal to metal connection.
    If you want to explore shorter shift options, install a " quick shift plate".....very cheap compared to a new selector setup.
    Under $50 from memory. Just replaces the existing shift plate and lifts the gear lever, by default increasing the " moment" and shortening the throw.
    Gear selection should be positive and not like stirring porridge......despite what others would have you believe....
    Just remember, if you are comparing shift actions with another bus, all things must be equal. Very easy to think that an expensive shifter will be the difference.....quite often it is not.
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I wonder if the owners of the Renault 12, with a "porridge stirrer" stick shift, have the same advice and help that Kombi owners get from KC? :rolleyes:

I doubt there's enough of them still on the road, to even source problem solving...o_O

11. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks Mark - will look into all options

Am intrigued Grantus ... I know it is off the topic of this thread - but what is this? Was it just another floor shifter that happened to be a little 'vague'?

David H likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You got it in one Gordon! :)

Not only vague, but no matter which gear you select, the stick then seems to sit in the same position. Not like you can glance at the stick, to see which gear you're in! :D

David H likes this.
  13. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Well, what a surprise. Lifted the carpet, had a good look at the shifter mounting in the cab and discovered the two bolts were just a few turns from completely undone. Tightened them both up and lo-and-behold I now have super tight shifting!
    Nice :)

Barry, David H, Grantus and 1 other person like this.
  14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good outcome.
    Remember this next item that needs ' fixing' . ;)

Gordon D likes this.
  15. oldman

Nice one mate!
    Quite often, the simplest things- like the selector plate in this case-are often overlooked and unnecessary money is wasted on bling items.....
    Goodonya for having a go, finding and fixing it......all for free ! :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Gordon D likes this.
  16. David H

Hi GordonD,
    That's got to make life easier:D.
    Cheers

17. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

You're not wrong David - the drive straight after was a whole different experience. Surprises me that the previous owner ... and the person that did the roadworthy and suggested the QuickShift in the first place ... didn't address this. Or they did and I am going to need to watch those bolts again.
    It may need a little bit of an adjustment but definitely streets ahead of where it was :)

David H likes this.
  18. oldman

Don't think I'd go back to the mech. that did the roadworthy again......clearly doesn't know old VW, or just doesn't want to know.....o_O
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. David H

Hi Gordon D,
    I'd be a bit tolerant of the mechanic ( & previous owner as he may have sold it due to thinking he was up for a new gear box... thanks:rolleyes:) since he did pass the roadworthy & cause you no immediate grief:rolleyes: & the bolts are hidden under the mat;). The brain understands only what the senses see/feel/hear.
    It's like I've said before...... you'll get used to your bus talking to you. You've just learnt another part of her language......& what a decent gear change feels like......so you get new knowledge now with decent gear shifter. Just when we thought you couldn't change gears without relaxing more:p you can now relax:D & change gears easily:).
    Oh...BTW...never had those bolts come loose ever.
    More great motoring coming:cool:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Gordon D likes this.
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Its typical tho.
    Recommend costly fixes before looking at the issue.
    All too common.

oldman likes this.