1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Back To Me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KahunaKombi, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

Here's the direct youtube link if you just want to listen

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Great clip Bert......something everyone should see/hear through before they comment.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar and KahunaKombi like this.
  4. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll pop my head up above the parapet having watched this from start to start to finish and read the text several times over. Borrowing words from that red head from Qld, "please explain?"

I have 2 questions:
    1. How many of the drought stricken desperate Qld farmers attended the 2013 Gala Dinner to launch this video? Sounds horribly reminiscent of a Sam Destryani fund raising dinner.
    2. Why use the stereo typed Arts university student with microphone in hand to lead the assault on farmers?

I'm left with a gut wrenching fear that Joseph Goebbels would have sat up and taken notice of this brilliant piece of propaganda.

And finally, here we are in 2019, 6 long drought ravaged years since this video "went viral" and what has changed? Where is the support rural Australia needs?

5. oldman

No , obvious, support from the city folks ‘cause they think food comes from a supermarket chain, monopolised by big business.....as long as the food is on the shelf...cheap....there is no perceived problem. We, the consumers, dictate the prices paid to producers by our shopping habits. Demand the cheapest prices ?...shop at a supermarket ? ....who do you think gets screwed?..not the supermarkets......they HAVE to return profits to their shareholders......big business influences politicians and the decisions they make .....who is left to screw down?.....the producers left with goods that are ripening/going off/ getting older......what chance do they have........$#@% all......
    Turn on the rap, water comes out........what drought ..?
    The ever widening disconnect between producers and consumers is what causes this “us and them “ mentality.
    Can’t speak to your two questions.....but I do note that the most vocal, attended protests are outside the farming communities......why? because anyone that lives beside the producers know how hard it is to make a living these days.

Yes, we all have choices.......but imagine what it will be like when the producers choose to leave the land a and chuck it in because it’s all too hard to make a living ? Suicide rates in rural communities are skyrocketing....
    THAT’S when there’ll be an uproar.......”if only we’d known....”

This is the first I’ve heard of this video.....if it had been more widely disseminated, earlier, maybe the producers would have had more support.....I don’t know. Social media is a powerful tool these days.
    Personally, we shop at a local co-op and purchase from the growers direct.....no it’s not going to solve the problem but at least I feel better knowing that what I pay is not being shaved down before it gets to the producers.
    I suppose, at the end of the day, we all have to be happy with our choices.........
    Certainly worth debating.
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Bert i have to agree with you well worth listening to, there is no Bulls,,,t in what is being said here , and i reckon what Mark has said is spot on . One just has to watch Landline on Sundays and the problems that the man on the land face every day to get an understanding of how tough it is for them...
    Chris

7. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

I work with and for farmers. Inch an a half of rain yesterday. Few dams full for the first time in 3 years here. Yet only 20mm under the surface the ground is dust. Might be enough to get some grass for a month. 80km north got 1/2 Inch. Doubt I'll be lamb marking up there this year. One station that usually marks 3000 plus marked 147 last week. I see 50 or more trucks of hay go through town each week at the moment, not a tray top, a B double. $30,000 a load. Yet goats pay more per head than sheep.
    Last year a few locals got a crop harvested. Most just fed the emus and roos that came down cos it's too tough up north, and they were scrawny and starving after years of drought.
    Some agriculture monopolies are bad for the land. They are generally shiny bums in suits. Most farmers and pastoralists are down to earth workers who care about what their country is like. They get fat cheques when times are good, but times aren't good very often anymore.

oldman, cbus and KahunaKombi like this.
  8. chris taylor

So correct Terry,
    One only has to get out of the city limits to see how bad things have been ,even with this rain here it is going to a long while before they see any improvement in the farm bank balance and only then if there is more follow up rain to come.

9. KahunaKombi

We try to watch Landline if not on Sunday then next time it is re run - it's a great show, informative and makes you aware of what goes on out there on the land ;).

10. chris taylor

You are so right Bert,it is a top show and as you say it one way that we in the city can get some sort of understanding of what country life is all about, very in depth viewing .

11. KahunaKombi

Well penned Mark ;).

I forwarded the link on to a friend in Young NSW and she came back saying it was the first time she had heard of it and would be distributing it amongst her friends and family. She even suggested it should be mandatory for all politicians to listen to it :rolleyes: as to whether they would well I expect people power may sway them to listen.
    She often speaks of how tough it is on the land and wishes for her time back in Chatswood or on the northern beaches where she grew up ...... suicide rates are ridiculous something suburbanites wouldn't comprehend :oops:.

chris taylor and oldman like this.
  12. wombatventures

Heard a report the other day that suicides were higher in regional areas than cities. Blamed higher drug and alcohol consumption. Funny thing they forgot to mention was lack of medical funding, shortage of jobs in country towns, shortage of family support because you have to leave to get a job or your support network has left to get a job. Oh and shortage of entertainment other than the above mentioned because it's to far to go too see a movie, sporting fixture, theatre or what ever you enjoy, because your broke, don't have licence, there's no public transport or some other reason....

Funny thing is... I love living in a country town, don't do drugs, drink moderately, am involved with good social groups and have a good job. I must be a minority. :eek:;)
    Must be a Kombiclub thing!:cool:

13. oldman

.......all that and I would suggest that you do not feel the need to "escape" your circumstances......;)

My experience with substance abusers, ( and that is considerate....... ), is that they are usually trying to escape the existence of a reality that they cannot deal with.
    Rural kids of Farmers/Producers ....and the Parents themselves .....that see their family properties being re-possessed / drought stricken / un-productive or affected by monopolies are faced with an overwhelming burden......
    I would never condone any form of "escape" as the realities do not go away....they must be faced eventually, however I have enormous empathy for those affected in this way.
    Unfortunately, those removed from the situation will simply see them as drug takers / suicides that cannot handle life...........and that is unconscionable in my opinion.
    Awareness and education go a long way towards truly understanding and resolving issues that affect peoples existences........

....and yes, any form of support - like an online forum / Kombi Club - that offers the opportunity to talk things out and garner recognition has got to be a good thing.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. wombatventures