1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting There And Back ?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club Bus Stop 2011' started by london_mike, Jul 11, 2010.

1. london_mike

london_mike New Member

Just been checking out Narooma on googlemaps - turns out it's a 9 hour drive from our place (so assuming no disasters, let's round it up to 11...).
    Given a max of 5 days (Fri-Tue) how are people planning to travel there ?
    • In Convoy ?
    • With a stopover somewhere on the way ?
    A 9-11hr drive on the Friday and the same on the Tuesday doesn't sound like a whole bunch of fun... :umm:

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

At this stage, Alice and I will be leaving in Woger on the Thursday morning and (at this stage) will likely head along the coast, stopping near the border or at Mallacoota. Our plans are not yet set though as there may be a convoy taking the inland route (passing near Canberra) which, if confirmed, we will consider joining. If we do go along the coastal route then of course we would welcome company (same if we go the inland route, for that matter!). :)

edit: As Melissa points out below, the convoy plans are usually organised closer to the event. At this stage, just assume you will be leaving on the Thursday and keep an eye open on the Coming Events (Victoria) forum for more details &/or discussion. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

We usually arrange convoy plans in the lead up to The Bus Stop. Its a bit early just yet. I would imagine you would be leaving on the Thursday, stopping somewhere on the Thursday night and getting there Friday. The thing to keep in mind is caravan parks have a check in time and its usually early afternoon so there is no rush to be there Friday morning.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

We will be travelling from Melbourne with 'the Konvoy' when it is decided.
    Then heading North to Nimben with the Northern group after Easter, (if they will let a Vic plater tag along). Which begs the question, which day will be departure day?

5. Van Housing

Alice and I will be leaving for Narooma on the Thursday, with a stopover on the way on Thursday night near the border. We would of course welcome company from anyone wishing to convoy with us.

After the Bus Stop, we will be staying for the regular quiet Monday night ;) (Anzac Day holiday BTW, so we get an extra holiday for Easter Monday on the Tuesday) before heading off on Tuesday for a slow trip to Nimbin for the kombi-convoy at Mardi Grass the following weekend.

If anyone is interested, Alice and I are then planning to head inland via Tenterfield to Bourke before heading the pleasant and scenic route south back to Victoria (without the traffic annoyances of the coast), with the intention of returning 3 weeks after we leave.

6. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Now that 'The Doctor' has been serviced and has a clean bill of health, I can now say that unless something untoward happens between now and Bus Stop 2011, I'll be making a booking just as soon as I find out which day we're heading back towards Victoria:)

Since we're heading inland immediately after Bus Stop, I'd prefer to take the scenic coastal route to Narooma as it's territory I haven't covered before, but if nobody else is going that way then I'm happy to tag along with the convoy if it goes via Canberra.

7. Van Housing

Alice and I are also planning on following the coastal route, but will consider joining the proposed convoy via Canberra if it is the preference of others.

8. Van Housing

Here are four possible free places to stop on the Thursday night on the way to Narooma, with maps - I tried to look for places that are dog-friendly, and would enable us to do most (about 2/3rds) of the driving on the first day, in case of problems and to otherwise enable a gentle trip on the Friday.

Newmerella Logging Station, just under 5 hours from Melbourne plus stops - free with toilets, dog-friendly, campfires permitted, but close to highway.
    http://tinyurl.com/28k22cl

Snowy River rest area 1, about 5 hours from Melbourne plus stops (there is a second site 4kms further along the road to Marlo) - free, beside Snowy river, dog-friendly, but no toilets or campfires.
    map.
    http://tinyurl.com/2be85sv

Thurra River rest area, well off the highway, under 6 hours from Melbourne - free with toilets, BBQs, dog-friendly but no campfires.
    http://tinyurl.com/2942h9o

Scrubby Creek Forest Picnic Area, about 7 hours from Melbourne plus breaks (so a long first-day drive, but leaving a short second-day trip into Narooma), just over the NSW border - free with toilets, dog-friendly, and fires permitted:
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/forests/locations/east-boyd
    map:
    http://tinyurl.com/23anatm

If everyone is willing to pay then Mallacoota, under 7 hours away, has a great scenic camping area on the foreshore but we'd have to book - toilets, showers, power, dog-friendly but no campfires:
    http://www.mallacootaholidaypark.com.au/
    map:
    http://tinyurl.com/2ewt8xe

9. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

I actually think we should aim for the Scrubby Creek site. It has everything we need. If someone's kombi is struggling (as it is the longest distance) we can go to one of the other sites. History suggests that it is easier to do the longest drive on the first day.

10. Van Housing

Scrubby Creek is my preference too, which would give us a pleasant 4 or 5 hour cruise into Narooma with a lunch break in say Merimbula .... but we'll see if anyone has a better suggestion. :)

11. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Scrubby Creek looks good to me and I agree with Alice. It's best to get the hard (and long) yards out of the way on the first day. In the event of a minor break-down, it give you plenty of time to sort it out.

12. Van Housing

Well 3 out of 3 support Scrubby Creek - so that's clearly unanimous support. ;) So unless anyone has a better suggestion, I suggest we lock that in then as the southern convoy's overnight stop. It will mean an early start on Thursday though - but of course you can park your kombi at our place Aime, if you can get it up the drive. :)

13. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

If I can get it up the drive???:wtf:

If a cat can make it, so can I:lol:

14. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Democracy at work!

15. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I'm there, guys. Just followin' y'all.

Dog friendly suits us best :D

W

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

A few of those routes look good...
    We will most likely be starting from Lakes Entrance at the In Laws, so if the path is going by, will jump on board for sure....:D

17. Van Housing

It appears we will definitely be passing Lakes Entrance so will pick you up on the way. I'll work out a suggested time for the meetup based on our anticipated departure time, we'll probably be overdue for a break and refuel by then anyway. It will probably be a good place to have lunch.

BTW, I should remind everyone planning to take their dogs that the caravan park in Narooma does not allow pets. We will be putting Zelda into a nearby shelter for the weekend so that she can accompany us for the rest of our trip as we are unlikely to find a doggysitter for the 3+ weeks we are hoping to be away.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  18. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

19. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Cheers for the kennel tip. Looks perfectly good to me. Man I gotta do some logistics. I have a plane ticket and a Kombi and north of that I'm in disarray.

20. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

For those travelling onto Nimbin MardiGrass after The Bus Stop, with the furkids, I'm happy to recommend Colin & Lynne at MacLean District Boarding Kennels.

http://www.macleankennels.com.au/home.htm

I've used them on several trips north & have been very, very happy as have the Terrordales.:D The kennels are about an hour & a half away from Nimbin, just near MacLean.