Gold Coast/Byron/Grafton/Newcastle/Sydney/Goulburn Convoy

Discussion in 'The First national Kombi Club Bus Stop 2007' started by ruby6689, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Finally the itinerary for the Gold Coast to Canberra convoy.:)

All those wishing to join the Reverend, Melissa and other members on the way to Canberra.

We will be travelling at a steady speed of 80km an hour and lots of sceduled stops have been set for pick ups, engine cool downs, refuelling (both the kombis and us) and 'pit stops'.

I have tried to make the meeting places as convienient as possible and apologise to those members who may have to travel a bit further to join in.
    Could you please adivse who is joining at what location so no one is left behind and also let me know your mobile phone nos. so you can be contacted if the times set down change during the course of the convoy.
    (PM me if you do not wish to leave no. on the open forum).

Northern members, could you please adcise me ASAP if you need a camping site on either the Thursday or the Monday as I need to confirm nos. to the Caravan Park.

Anyone with UHF CB' please tune to KC channel 18

If there are any major discrepancies in the itineray plase let me know ASAP so I can review and make changes........This is going to be FUN......Lorraine

DAY 1
    Thursday 5th April
    7.00am Sharp
    Meet Reverand Roy at the Caltex Service Station near the pink Holden on wrecker's roof after the Reedy creek turn off (Exit 85A) southbound on the Gold Coast Motorway (Penny lane). Please be fueld up and readly to leave at 7.00am

8.15am 80 km
    Pick up Byron Bug (Sister judy) and other flock members on highway just past the overpass bridge at Ewingsdale Rd turnoff to Byron Bay.

10.45am 170 km
    Morning Tea and refuel - McDonalds, Pacific Hwy, Sth Grafton- 30 min stop, service station directly opposite, ruby6689 (myself Lorraine) joining here, Please be ready to leave by 11.15 am.

1.00pm 140 km
    Lunch and refuel - Caltex, Pacific Hwy, Macksville - 30 min break (other food outlets nearby) back on road at 1.30pm

4.00pm 180 km
    Rainbow Flat Caravan Park and Service Station.
    End of Day 1...the caravan park is very basic, no powered sites but shared power available for tea making etc. Cost $20 per Kombi (2 adults). Dinner can be purchased at locations a few kms away for those that do not wish to BYO.

DAY 2
    Friday 6th April
    6.30 am
    Another longs days driving so an early start is necessary, so grab a cuppa (that's 3 for Roy) and fuel up (servo opens at 6am) and be ready to go at 6.30am sharp.

8.30am 135 km
    Breakfast and refuel - McDonalds Pacific Hwy, Heatherbrae - 30 min break, 9.00am take off.

10.10am 80 km
    Twin servos, Pacific Motorway, Tuggerah turnoff - pick up point for Melissa aka Lady of the Lake and Bus stop organiser plus other Novocastrians.

12.00 noon 120 km
    slight detour off M7 motorway to lunch and refuel at uncle Leo's truck stop and service station, Cross Rds, Casula - 30 min break......Sydneysider's please join us here. Leave at 12.30

2.00pm 120 km
    Coles Express Servo, south bound Hume Hwy, Sutton Forest - last pick up point, quick refuel and 'pit stop' meet up with Schmooburger...on the road again at 2.15pm.

Approx 4pm 110 km

:D ARRIVE THE BUS STOP :D

Monday
    Anyone wishing to convoy back with us please be ready to leave by 9am, stops will be reverse of above and camping once again at Rainbow Flat on the monday night.

Contact nos.
    Lorraine 0439138199 or 0402655242
    Judy 0411260630
    Roy 0421765600

PLEASE NOTE - AS WE WILL BE TRAVELLING THE FULL LENGTH OF THE M7 YOU WILL NEED TO LOG ON TO THEIR WEBSITE AND SIGN UP TO PAY THEIR TOLL AS THE M7 IS TOTALLY ELECTRONIC. YOUR NUMBER PLATE WILL BE PHOTOGRAPHED AND MATCHED WITH YOUR PAYMENT DETAILS http://www.roam.com.au/content/application/product_features.asp?CC=26&CN=82
    PLEASE HAVE CHANGE READY FOR OTHER MOTORWAY TOLLS

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Please note that cash is not accepted on the M7.

3. ruby6689

Thanks Syncro......what other forms of payment are accepted.....as this is a one off trip for many of us there must be some way for us to pay on the spot....please advise so we can be prepared.... are you coming to Canberra with us ?.......Lorraine

4. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Here is a link to Roam.com.au
    These guys provide the tolling for the M7 and a visitors pass is avaliable for a limited time, I'm not sure if it works for the M2 but it isn't cashless as yet!

http://www.roam.com.au/content/application/product_features.asp?CC=26&CN=82

for a visitors e-pass it looks like the bill would be paid from nominated card after the alloted time period expires, good for upto 30days, an extra charge applies of 75cents on top of each toll for the number plate matching from the photo that the entry and exit toll plaza,s take of your car, so make sure your plates are clean

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. ruby6689

Thanks guys,
    Have just found that site....will do homework and let everyone know what amount needs to be paid.....bloody hell what happened to good old fashioned CASH!......... No wonder I love country living...........Lorraine

6. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Excellent planning Lorraine, hope everyone has a safe trip and that all kombi's behave themselves!!!

See you on the Friday!

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great work Lorraine

8. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

But for those of us who have to live in Sydney and have to put up with damn tolls, the tags are the way to go - just drive straight through at motorway speed! :) I've lost count of the number of times I sat in a queue at the toll gates and then as I pulled up I dropped my coins, either on the floor or on the road... embarrassment!!! :eek:

Enjoy the cruise down y'all! Maybe I'll front up to Leo's truck-stop just to say "Hi", given that I'm unlikely to be going to Canberra.

Actually, what time do you think you'll hit the M7? I can stand on the bridge at Sunnyholt Rd and wave to you! :) Or maybe I can cruise to the Crossroads with you (if you don't mind a Commodore or a Corolla joining in!?)

Baz

PS. The toll on the full length of the M7 is something like $6.83 (can't find my last statement to be certain).

9. ruby6689

Hi GypsyWannabe,

I will try and get a time frame for the Sunnyholt Rd crossing, probaly be best if you PM me with you mobile no., time is bound to vary somewhat.

You don't have to have your Kombi to come to Canberra, just be a member, chuck a tent in the commodore and come along we would all love to meet you.

If you can't make Canberra, please come down to the Cross Roads and meet up for lunch.

Hope to see you....somewhere......Lorraine

10. Green4Go

Green4Go New Member

Canberra or Bussed !

Hi Lorraine , thanks for the itinerary, lookin forward to first trip with Kombi Club ,meeting at Crossroads at 12.00 Friday , suits me fine ! i m in Sydney .

C U Bay b Blu

11. trevendy

trevendy Member

We have to go to Sydney this weekend and have been told by local RTA that if the toll way is cashless then drive straight through they will note that you are from the country and send you a bill for the toll no fine will soon find out.......

12. Marty

Marty Active Member

Just to let you know, I ended up driving through the sydney harbour tunnel without paying and got a fine of $8 in the mail. So not too bad.. In any case it's better than the $100+ fines down here :eek:

13. kom123

kom123 New Member

Bah! We will no longer be travelling in the convoy from Uncle Leo's :(

As it turns out, after the Easter weekend we want to stay a few extra days away down south as it will also be NSW school holidays. We found a place on the South Coast and the guy who owns the place lives in Canberra. The bad news is his family is also going away at Easter and need us to pick up the key from his place (I think for his own peace of mind he actually wants to meet us first) before 2pm on the Friday.

So as we would not make it there in time with the convoy, we will be travelling down much earlier on the Friday morning. Call me crazy but I am considering going fairly early, picking up the key and then driving back up to Goulburn to join everyone for the last leg of the cruise!!!!

14. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

That'd be awsome Scott!... theres commitment for ya! :cool:

Will be great to have 123 puttering along with us.... I shotgun driving behind ya so I get a perfect unobstructed view of that awsome safari window! :D

Cheers!

15. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

Have a great time guys...enjoy...and if your gonna break down, do it on the way back !!
    Lots of photos please...

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nicely planned Lorraine...although it's going to be hard for me to be driving at 80ks! maybe I should drive at my normal speed....race ahead and get up high on the overpasses, take some shots (with camera ;) ) then race past you all again to the next overpass....LOL
    nah I had better be a good kombi driver and keep with the convoy. Maybe we can get some members who aren't able to make it to Canberra to take some shots as we drive past at different locations. :)

17. ruby6689

Hi Melissa,
    That would be a great idea...no, not you racing ahead...the other suggestion...anyone want to volunteer? Maybe this suggestion should go on the other post as well.
    Just had a phone call from 'Natishavingfun' ,a lovely lady from Sydney who doesn't have a home computer but looks KC up once a week and is now going to be joining the convoy at the Cross Roads, it is going to be interesting to see just how many turn up at Canberra.
    Please can anyone who wishes to join our particular convoy let me know where they will be joining...thanks Lorraine

18. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I don't know what I'm doing at Easter yet and probably won't know until the last minute. If I'm at home about the time you're coming through, I'll stand at the Sunnyholt Rd overpass for the M7 and take a pic and give you a wave.

If you're planning to be at Leo's truck stop at The Crossroads at noon, you'll probably be coming under Sunnyholt Rd between 11.30 and 11.45.

Some of you have CB's right? What channel will you be on. I might buy a hand-held.

If there's no big family lunch on and I can swing it, I might shoot down to Leo's and say "Hi".

Baz

19. ruby6689

That would be great Baz...channel 18 is KC channel, we have a CB, not sure who else has at this stage......Lorraine

20. natishavingfun

natishavingfun New Member

me too

Hi guys, I will meet up with the sydney lot to travel in the convoy. Very excited to be in my first Kombi convoy!
    Natalie 0409531013
    Nice to chat to you Lorraine