1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good time to check your coolant lines!

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Andy., Dec 29, 2019.

1. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Driving home last night, saw a T3 just ahead of me (a rare sight in Brisbane these days!), as I got closer noticed steam coming out the rear. I managed to get along side and got the driver to pull over. He said yea, noticed the red light, he was going to drive to a servo somewhere to have it checked!! The hose to the cyl head (left rear) had split and lost coolant. They would have damaged the engine if they had kept driving. I patched it up, but the corrosion on the spigot was quite bad and the hose was falling apart in my hand. I sealed it up and filled with water again, but luckily they decided to towed it.
    On a bright note, the owner traded a '68 kombi in to buy the T3 new in '91, and said it had been very reliable since new!
    All original coolant lines have stood the test of time, but 28 years old is expecting a lot even for a well maintained van.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nice save and very helpful of you Andy :)

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great job Andy.

Saved another MV engines sure death.

I have noticed a lot of heads have bad oxidation/ corrosion to those outlets. Not just the head gasket mating surface corrosion issues.