GoWesty Engine Management System for Vanagon

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Barry, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

prone and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Will be more than $2kUS I feel but I want one :)

3. prone

prone Active Member

Definitely keen as well. As Barry said, hopefully they become available here somehow :)

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Got sent this link last month....... to consider. :rolleyes:

I’ve got say, “If it ain’t broke, why fix it”?o_O

Awsome upgrade / replacement though, if your digifant has finally failed, and your T3 is a “keeper”....;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  5. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Looks interesting, particularly replacing old wiring and connectors. I was reading the first half and thought the system did not sound great, then read the changes below, can certainly see why they needed to tune individually with the initial system.
    I assume it handles high compression engines as they sell larger/high compression engines.
    Target price is $US3k, with exchange rate, duty and freught backwards and forwards add up quick

I'm guessing the distributor misses the AC compressor?? But doubt it would work with the locally fitted bracket most Oz T3's would run.

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that I would prefer to go with one of the locally available aftermarket systems if at all. There is a lot of BS from GW there.

13bvw and AC-T3 like this.
  7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Gotta ask why invest in a single developer/supplier based single/specific vehicle system? Gotta be some serious hidden issues there. Also, having been there and done that to my Type 4 some years ago using an internationally accepted race industry spec system that easily adapts to any fuel and any vehicle (except electric), I would seriously consider alternatives before GoWesty. If it broke in OZ, who do you go to for help? It looks and reads nice, but ................................ Support Australian clever industry and businesses before GoWesty.

13bvw likes this.
  8. Luckyphil

While many T3 people are having problems with their old VW EFI no one in Aus is promoting a replacement. Sure Haltech can build a replacement system if you ask them but not widely known. People want a plug & play option. Gowesty are providing this but at great cost so feel it will flop. There is another guy developing a system for market which also has a turbo option which seems interesting & claims will be reasonably priced, we will have to wait & see.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Is there are reason that they can't be repaired?

10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

If I still had a MV in my bus and the EFI started playing up I'd throw the lot in the tip where it belongs and fit up a pair of lovely SU carbies............something I can deal with anywhere. :D

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

They are making a nice big 2.7L 4cyl donk now too which this GW engine management system is set up for aparently

12. Luckyphil

Perhaps if "new" parts were available, but as we all know they are not. A small few are reproduced with questionable quality.

13. tillis

tillis Active Member

Im with you on the SUs...got a pair waiting to go on....

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Oh.....pluheeease!!............... Dellortos...........maybe Webers..................but SU's??

S.U. carburetors operate on a system 'variously known as “variable venturi”, “variable choke”, “constant pressure”, or “constant depression”.

Yep - they got the last part right :D

Anyway..........
    It is more a one stop shop process that I like
    I have often thought of a big block T3 motor but the FI has put me off
    There is an 88 stroke for sale on AVD
    I like the idea of the new wiring harness
    The Haltech buts me off in that it is a "work it out as you go" process

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

This is "Motronic" fuel injection. Thew same as Ford, BMW and other had in the '80s & '90s. It's not really unreliable. The GW uses coil packs which a lot of cars have had problems with (Toyota, Mazda, Ford) GW says the coil is unreliable. Most coil failures are owner/mechanic induced.

A little knowledge is dangerous.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have never seen a harness problem. Only mechanical damage to connectors.

17. Luckyphil

Most problems I have seen stem back to the ECU or AFM neither of which are now available new.

18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've never seen anyone buy a new one of either when they were available. Both are easily repairable. Most of the problems appear to be the Temp2 and the Hall sensor which some of the replacements are dodgy. The Hall sensor needs to be matched to the coil/ignition module. Does the T4 sensor match?

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmmm.........dont like the sound of this though
    • Custom made in USA 100.75mm forged and coated JE brand pistons
    • Brand new 100.75mm cylinders

not exactly off the shelf parts

20. Luckyphil

ECU may be repairable however the AFM is not easily repairable as the swipe arm wears a track in the sensor plate and that is not available, some so called reco ones only move the arm so it tracks on a fresher part of the sensor plate but it dosnt correctly track