Griffith to WA post Bus Stop 2014

Discussion in 'Coming Events' started by vwfreak03, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Whos coming

1. 100% yes

52.6%
  2. seriously thinking about it

47.4%
  1. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Now that Giffith has been announced for Bus Stop 2014 I thought its about time to start this thread.

There's enough of us that want to do it and with enough time to plan WE can make it happen :)

So if you want to join us...start planning...get the time off work and lets all have a memorable trip :D

For people wanting to make the trip...nothings been planned or set in stone yet so lets get some ideas together and see what suits us all

For me coming from Tas its going to be a 7400km round trip...to put that into perspective Woz has just done 7000km for bus stop 2013 and ive just done 5600km for bus stop 2013

so its very doable

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We are in, just need to work out what we do with the mutt at Griffith. Roll on 2014. Plenty of CDs turned up to the max.what more could you want. How many sleeps have we got Martin.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. IN

col

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Too far ahead for a firm committment but sounds too good to miss. Its just up the road anyway.

5. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

As we said, we're retired so we'll go with the flow, I reckon seeing kombi's will be coming from SE & NE a good meeting place for the convoy to assemble for the "crossing of the paddock" might be Port Augusta ?

I guess there will be mini convoys form up until we all converge at a agreed place. Just putting it out there for input.

Geoff.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Like Geoff's suggestion.
    CB radios will be a good idea as well.

Nearer the time a dedicated thread with general agenda so that people can slot in and out of main group according to timetables etc and also communicate in case of changes or difficulties

col

7. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Alice and I are in, if we can drive slow - otherwise we will meet you over the other side. We have a pair of those little UHF radios but no plans for a CB.

8. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

I have no desire to drive fast (even though I could blow most of you away!) I want to see the country, enjoy the company and stop whenever possible for a cuppa and a chin wag :)

Having done the crossing a few times we will need to come up with a plan to not hold up the truckies, it's there livelihood and they are usually on a tight schedule, there's plenty of them and they travel at 100+, 99.9% are great folk, a bit of CB action will go a long way to smoothing the way for them.

Hey, Woz / Alice are you taking Bunyip? we will be taking Sophie.

Geoff

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

A traveling roadblock of kombis with trucks needing to pass has been on my mind as well.

besides CB. what suggestions for making it safer?
    Its not as though we are on the road for only 50km.

Along with easy days of around 400km and speeds of about 85-90km/hr, is it better to stagger groups of 2-4 with a bit of distance [5+km] between? any times of day that are better for travelling? dedicated cb operator in each group to avoid confusion when communicating with passing truckies/

obviously morning travel on the way over and later on the way back to avoid sun in eyes for passing vehicles

col

10. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

We've got a fairly big trucking company in Mildura (GTS) I might have a chat to the guys to see if they can suggest a way we can ease their journey and thus stay friendly with everyone, will let the thread know what the outcome is.

Geoff

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

good move :)

12. Roo

Roo Active Member

One of the best things you can do is maintain your speed (whatever it is) and then when the truck decides to go around (you'll know because it will be the first gap with no oncoming vehicles!!) BACK OFF!!! This gives the truck less time on the wrong side and makes it safer for all. Trying to pick up speed with 60 to 70 ton takes a long time. For you guys to lose 10kph and then pick it up again takes next to nothing. If you have a UHF on channel 40 you can let them know of your intensions simply by calling them up ie: "copy the red truck behind the yellow Kombi with a white roof" ( I realise there may be more than one but the chances of two red trucks wanting to go around two yellow Kombis at the same time are slim!!!) "I'll back off after the next vehicle". They'll usually respond and it makes it safer for all. If you're not on the air, most important thing is maintain constant speed, don't slow until they start to come around. A good gap between each vehicle also helps a lot. Hope these tips make your journey more enjoyable and safer for all.

13. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

unfortunatly..the timing does not quite work for me
    Rugby has been a passion for me long before vw's ...the world vintage rugby festival is on in perth april 6 to 12
    which means i will be heading for Perth from Melbourne around 1 april
    Maybe might catch a convoy on the return journey early may..although i am total undecided about my route...was thinking of perth broome alice adelaide melbourne any on interested let me know
    be back to melbourne in the spring..

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

the [not untill]spring bit sounds good:)

15. vwfreak03

If we are taking our time crossing.........

How about a detour to uluru along the way? ;)

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

To pick up Jons 'shitbox' entry?")

17. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

sure Uluru would have to be on the itinerary
    just meander my way back to melbourne

i was thinking 10 weeks...although the last big road trip i went on with an initial plan of 8 weeks...ended up 7 months

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Heading the wrong way now Martin, that will prolly finish up about 4k out of the way,

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps Uluru on the return trip for those adventurers??

20. vwfreak03

Well Al....got to put it out there as if time Isn't a major factor it would be great to do

Has anybody else been there in a kombi?