1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grind grind grind

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Jehd, May 20, 2008.

1. Jehd

Jehd New Member

Hello,

My 2.1 is making a grinding noise under load!

Tried looking at it but the noise isnt there unless u are accelerating.

Cruising, there is no noise.

Car accelerating down a hill with no extra accelerator...no noise.

No noise when changing gears

Got me a little stumped...but by the noise...which is getting louder, I assume its gonna be $$

Any ideas?

Cheers
    James

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Noise in the front: Possibly shocks worn out..

Noise in the rear: Differential perhaps?

Any other clues? What year and how many Km's on the clock?

3. Jehd

Jehd New Member

coming from the rear

its is dependant on rpm..so it is something engine related.

engine just hit 200,000km. Its been looked after though..oil and filter change every 5000km since new.

diffs and wheel bearings have been replaced recently.

shocks likely in need of recpacing but i cant see them making a constant grinding noise?

water pump was replaced about 2000km ago, but the noise was there before and after the recplacement. (it was a mild grind then)

4. Konrad

Konrad New Member

just some thoughts

power steering pump? check for leaks and fluid level
    alternator? is it safe to run the engine without the alternator belt fitted? if so, take it off and see if the noise disappears.

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had one recently on the '82. It was a bit like a scraping noise that at first I thought was a rear brake. Turned out to be a rear bearing that was ever so slight loose. Tightened the nut and all is OK now.

6. Grantus

My money's on the diff... based on the supplied symptoms.

My power steering in T3 No.2, only howls at full lock....

And wheel bearings tend to be noisy at anytime, not just under acceleration...

But we'll see who wins the prize, when the diagnosis comes back from Jehd's technician. Do keep us posted:)

7. Jehd

Jehd New Member

it better not be the dif because the gearbox is about 25k old. It had a complete rebuild! lots of $$$.

No power steering on my bus. My guess is it is going to be one of the big bearings on the engine because it is 200k old and never been opened!

Unfortunetly I can't afford to find out atm. It will have to wait a few weeks because I start full time work! no more uni for me!

It hasnt effected performance, but no big drives till I get it fixed.

Cheers
    James

8. Grantus

Jehd,

At 20 years and 340,000kms the Kanga Banga is looking at the same diff rebuild, (I'll get the gearbox done at the same time).

Can I ask what the cost was, so I've got a ballpark of what I'm up for? (PM me, if you don't want to broadcast the figure).

Was it a full rebuild of your existing box by a technician of your choice, or was it a recon exchange unit?

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

A local VW shop here in Bungendore did a rebuild on my 4 speed in 2001 for $1900.00. Of this $528.00 was labour for the removal of the gear box, rebuild and install. Obviously prices would have gone up a fair bit by now for parts and labour. I did not get the diff rebuilt at the time as I installed a locking diff which is currently back out as at about 200,000 ks it has started to make a few noises. I will get another or a LSD and fit that up as it became a real asset in the scrub.

10. Jehd

Jehd New Member

Grantus, My dad had it done, so i cannot give a very accurate response.

I am told it was a complete job from sycros to the diff and was about $1500

The reason it was done is beacuse it lost 2nd gear. It lost 2nd gear due to my borther laerning to drive in it :S

Cheers
    James

11. Jehd

Jehd New Member

My finger is all bound up, so i havnt been driving fro a few weeks. My dad drove though and has told me it is something in the gearbox.

It be nice to get the box fixed somewhere goos this time.

Does anyone know a good place in Brisbane to get it done?

Cheers
    James