1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

guitar, banjo, piano, harmonica, brass....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hoops, Jul 29, 2007.

1. hoops

hoops New Member

Just out of interest, I was wondering who plays a musical instrument - guitar, banjo, piano, harmonica, brass, wood wind or any other unorthodox sound....? Whatever and not concerned about if you think you're good or not - Just if you love to entertain friends or family or yourself every now and then.

Oh yer! and don't forget those of you who have the vocal instrument and love to sing.

I play the guitar (somewhat) and love to simply muck around with the basics really.

Mmmmmm I think this will be interesting~~~~~

Thanks for the prompt Damien e

Cheers

Hoops

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I like to play the acoustic guitar and the djembe drum.I also attempt the harmonica and my little girl plays the tamborine.We love to jam together:)

3. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

I have a 5 string banjo and attempt to play 'bluegrass' yeeeeehaaaaar
    but don't ask for the deliverance theme okay. I don't do that one ever! Dean
    PS Deb can play CD's

4. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Looks like Deb and I have the same skill-set Dean, muscially speaking. I cannot play anything, but can appreciate someone else playing for me. :)

5. Marty

Marty Active Member

I played the piano since I was little till a few years ago. Last week I bought an acoustic guitar and I'm trying to teach myself the basics at the moment.

6. Spinner

Spinner New Member

La La La !!!

I learnt to play the flute in high school and that lead to me picking up most wind instruments and being able to play some sort of tune out of it. Havent tried a trumpet, so not too sure of that one. Can get a noise out of a set of bag pipes but then torturing the cat has about the same sound!!!

Can also fiddle about on a violin (pardon the punn) but am not too good.

Have tried the Borain (irish/scottish flat drum) but thats another one that seems to escape me. My daughter Mhairi is a far better expert than i am.

Would love to learn the acoustic guitar but havent had much of a chance to learn nor the money. It's on my 'to do' list.

7. hoops

hoops New Member

What a mix

Wow!!! What a mix. Acoustic guitar, djembe drum (please exlain more), harmonica, tamborine, banjo (go Dean), piano (would never have thought Wild One - love what the piano can do), Flute, various wind instruments, bag pipes (amazing), violin and borain -

Wow! what a mix. So are we going to see any of them at some of our meets aussie wide???

I haven't picked my guitar up much til last few months but are really loving it.

Had a bit of a jam with Mr Percival recently and learnt a few more songs.

Cheers all!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  8. Marty

Marty Active Member

Just wait till Ray sees this thread, he's probably mastered more than I've heard!

9. Damien e

Damien e New Member

I play drums proffessionally and began to learn the blues harmonica a couple of years ago - overeducated musician and a novice in the arts of the Kombi... hence my addiction to this forum.

10. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hey Hoops...the djembe is an African hand drum.It is shaped like a huge goblet.The head is goats skin and the body is carved from hardwood.It is a rope tuned instrument.I love it,you can find yourself in a trance like state.I find it very soothing.Heres a picture.:)

Attached Files:

11. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

I've seen it Wild1. Just watching.

Ray & da Boyz

12. hoops

hoops New Member

Hey Indigo, I didn't know that they were called "djembe" drums however, I am off to play these drums tonight at shorncliffe. Well actually I go along sometimes (like tonight) and strum my guitar and have a go on the drums.

My nieghbours have been playing them for years - you may know them as they go all around brissy with them. John and Peggy Bonnar. They are great on them and yes I have found them to be trans like at times.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  13. Tony&Trudi

Tony&Trudi New Member

I am another banjo novice. I have no musical ability but love a completely new challenge. I have 3 banjos and can play a total of 3 chords..yeaha. One day...... who would have thought it would be so hard to get your fingers to do seemingly simple things at anything greater than a very slow pace and then get the other hand to do something else at the same time. Actually that sounds near on impossible! LOL No wonder progress is so slow .
    Go the Banjo
    regards
    Tony

14. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

We have a couple of djembes... we also have a balinese gamelan xylophone made from large bamboo canes, we were told it was called a "rindi" but it might be an "angklung"... Alice plays the piano (we own one, it is over 130 years old and not very well tuned!) as well as the flute and most other things... we also have a bunch of recorders, a couple of guitars (I occasionally give them a go), some aboriginal clap-sticks, a little metallophone, and several other instruments.

Alice is the musically talented one, but I am allowed to play with them if it stops me from singing! :D

15. hoops

hoops New Member

I would love to play the banjo but the "duelling banjos" always scared me off. Oh, and I do have a mandoline but it's just for looks - never played it.

Now I'm off to have a go on them djembes again.

Cheers all of you muso's

16. Spinner

Spinner New Member

drumming

hey Indigo,
    i recently went to a drumming session on the foreshore at cleveland behind the Grandview hotel. it was a good turn out of men and women drumming to the rising full moon. I think that there was some signifigance there but it was a bit lost on me. a couple of the women had djembe's and i just loved the sound. I agree with you. you can get into a trance like state even just listening to it - wonderful!! i'll be taking my 11 year old percussionist next time with her borhain to let her have a go. i just sit there and listen and stoke the fire.
    i wouldnt mind learning the drums too. so much to do and so little time!!!

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

A young girl like yourself Kim has to have a few things to keep herself occupied, you know. ;)

18. HIP13

HIP13 Member

i play Djembe, Indian steel drums/pottery drums. bongos, didgeredoo, some guitar, not much at all.. and i used to play sax.

19. heartland

heartland New Member

I can play excellent spoons when I've had a few drinks!!!! Does that count.

Jane

Bennyharp likes this.
  20. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I play acoustic guitar. Mainly country / folk or whatever. When I was a wee bit younger I did have a passion for electric and rock but not these days. Do play a bit of bluegrass or fingerstyle when the mood takes me.