1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gum trees

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Barry, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

No - I’m not a member of the Grey Nomads.
    More I have seen the damage that gum trees can do.
    Years ago I was on a scout camp and the leader had set her tent up under a huge gum at Nords Wharf.
    She literally climbed out of her tent and a 200mm branch fell from 20m and took out here tent.

Anyway - google popped this up on my phone and I thought I would post just to throw it out there for comment.

Timely as I’m packing for a couple of days away

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/gum-2/

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Tis a good warning so be aware but not alarmed.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Trees are great for shade :D BUT those (large) species such as the gum tree should not be planted near houses :eek: or more correctly houses should not be allowed to be built within falling distance of them :rolleyes:

When living in Kincumber NSW, there was a public walkway between me and neighbours with a large gumtree right on my border and power lines hung below the start of the canopy - had a storm come through then a few days later an almighty crack and power went out thanks to a large branch falling and taking the lines down - thank heavens the street light was still on so we just sat out under it and had a street/gutter party ;).

Gum trees are to unrpedictable as to when they decide to shed a branch :confused:

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Some species are nick named
    " widow makers" for a reason.

Don't ya love Aussie.
    If the spiders and snakes don't get ya, the trees will :)

Common time for vic mountain ash
    ( E regnans) to drop massive limbs is on a hot day then when clouds build for a thunderstorm.

Ninga and oldman like this.
  5. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I parked under a very (very, very) large Fig tree once. Not far from home. Was checking out the level of the Hunter River over Melford Ford. There was a crash noise and a major branch had just dropped in front of my rather nice Audi A4 turbo quattro. Only about a metre in front.

So don't just don't think it's our favourite Myrtaceae... :(

TeeBee likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The ACT Government has been quite a while demolishing Northbourne Avenue, the main road from capital hill north to Sydney & Melbourne, to install a “tram to nowhere” (light rail), at an excessive expense.

After tearing out all the trees to undertake the works, which now include messy overhead wires to power the system, the ACT Government nursery has been busy growing seedlings to plant along the network.

Their choice? Many hundreds of Eucalyptus mannifera .......:eek:

Did nobody in the position for this decision, bother to look up the common name of these trees? Obviously not, as they are called Brittle Gums for good reason! o_O

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Surprised a healthy fig dropping limbs.
    Usualy dead when they drop.
    Have two mature big ones in my front yard.
    Lucky miss tho.

Agree Grant.
    Govt architects or engineers seem to be in the same mould as politicians.
    Love it when they plant Morton bay figs and weeping figs in small roadways with about a 2m sq ( or usually less) area around them.
    If the surface roots don't stuff the footpaths and road then the tree falling in strong winds due to restricted root ball will get attention.

Another good trick is a nice grevillia in a 3mx 3m front garden of terrace house. Grevillia robusta :rolleyes:

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Back in the 90s Onkaparinga council in SA decided to cull Galahs for chewing up their local trees.

Norfolk Island Pines...

Whose brain dead brain was behind that?

Sorry... Off topic!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    chris taylor and cbus like this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Our brain's trust planted leopard trees on the nature strip ...... besides the leaves dropping annually they float with the wind and end up in swimming pools & roof gutters a hundred metres away, then the seeds which wreck the blades on your mower as they are so hard = you rake them up of council land before you mow, they're a mongrel to trim and come back stronger around the wound. Getting the council to keep them under control is nigh on impossible :mad:

10. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

On inspection the limb was riddled with ants.

The tree is an enduring reminder to the 1955 Hunter flood. There was a house there once as well as the fig but it (as did many others) set sail in February of that year.

11. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

And those Leopard trees never change their spots!

12. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the gum trees getting revenge on all those who mindlessly cut them down.

Ninga likes this.
  13. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I love Gumtree :)

14. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe off topic but well said .
    It was the Galahs in council that decided to cull the Corellas because certain nit wits in the area complained about the noise and the mess ,also due to the fact that a lot of their natural habitat had been cleared for housing it was more than likely they were just looking for food , and being the type of bird they are ,they make a mess .

Ninga and wirrah like this.
  15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Mentioning gum trees that loose there branches at any time with little to no warning ,have to say River red gum is one of the best in the business for doing that and they aren't worried whats underneath them when they drop them
    [​IMG]

David H likes this.
  16. chris taylor

Their just getting even.o_O, :rolleyes:, good on em...........

Miss Rosie likes this.
  17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

we took great delight in having 13 eucalypti removed from our yard just after we bought our place a couple of years ago. the neighbors on the west were screaming the neighbors on the east were cheering no prizes for guessing where all the leaves and bark used to go....

should be banned in suburbia - they are lovely in the bush but an absolute menace in town

18. chris taylor

20190202_093248.jpg 20190202_093248.jpg

Saabman ,dont take this the wrong way,as we are all guilty of doing this at some point, but ,we are all destroying the one thing that can help us with this Global warming that WE have created . gum trees ,like so many other trees are life giving oxygen makers ,and home to all sorts of critters ,no matter what they are ,feathers or fur, or where the tree is located, I can live with any mess they make. This photos is where i live, and underneath all that canopy is the suburb of Happy Valley.homes galore but you just do not see them , like living in the bush ,

Miss Rosie likes this.