1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hands up those who hate installing door seals???

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Rocky, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Rear hatch - easy
    sliding door - not too bad
    engine bay - super easy
    front doors - Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. dewy75

dewy75 New Member

me! just removed the old rubber from the drivers door. broke off in little pieces. now have to spend a few days scrapping off old silicone and contact cement from the groove before i can insert the new rubber. any ideas on how to remove the glue and left over bits of rubber other than spending hours srapping it off with a screw driver?

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Sorry, all I can say is that the blaster did a great job....

4. kenjisan

kenjisan Member

LOL - you ease my mind I started with the front doors, and had success, but a painful process (particularly without a blaster).

Dewy - soaking a cloth in metho helps but still hard work and lots o scrapping.

Rocky - I note from another thread you are looking to get your back seat complianced - is it a r'n'r if so who are using to get it complianced here in melb - I'm just about at that stage myself?

Cheers
    Kenji

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I was given the name of a guy in Camberwell who might be able to help, havent spoken to him yet, will PM you the details.

6. vinny

vinny Active Member

never done it before, however i got a full set to install once my bus comes back from the painters... anybody want to come around and give us a hand? i'll supply the poison:D

7. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

:umm: :umm: :umm: I will think about that Harry

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

they all can be a pain to put in at the first time doing one,
    but the more of them you do, the easier they get.
    youve just got to get used to not getting the glue every were...
    chuck

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Have to disagree with the engine hatch rubber. My "original" one needed 100 mm off 2 sides and 50mm off the other 2. That was doing everything to squash it up and make it fit too. Cut it fits fine and seals well. Sliding door one is just ugly, but it does the job well. Still to do the front doors.

Adrian

10. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

I had Trouble with the first front door seal, mainly due to being a cheap aftermarket version, ripped that out and put the genuine seal in, piece of cake, just lots of glue...... lol
    I had the same problem with the engine bay seal Adrian, had to cut and shut it to fit, thank god for loctite 401, love super glue.... hahahahaha

11. vinny

vinny Active Member

:lol: what is there to think about Mike, free grog !!!

i'm glad that i've bought all gen seals, was thinking just go repro but with all the problems people have it was better to cough up the extra dollars..

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I did have to cut the engine bay seal, but just clipped into place so easily and works so well.

Sliding door was the same, once I worked out which way it goes, it just clipped into place so easily....

THen the glue.....
    front seals are genuine and fitted very nicely, but the glue... obviously I need more practice as I am still covered in glue and have a fair clean up to do on the doors......

13. kombiluc

kombiluc New Member

I had to remove sikaflex from a car door and I used a caramel wheel. Worked a treat! You may be able to get them from your local auto shop. If not a panel beater supplier will definately have them.

14. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

So how are you guys typing if you've got your hands up??
    Ok ignore me.

15. max auto

max auto Member

glue

thinners will get rid of the glue ... and i think putting in the pop out front qtr windows are the pits

16. karstan

karstan Member

wats the best glue ?? im about to do ill the door rubbers ?