Harry - 1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Twin Carb Automatic

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Mr Beckstar, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes that’s the plan Jethro. The challenge now is to make sure I get good quality parts. I’ve ordered the thermostat, bracket and cable from Awesome Piwdercoat USA. Still need to order a bunch of other stuff but haven’t found all of it available yet.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Flick Andrew-1500King- a pm.
    He keeps a lot of NLA & NOS parts & could point you in the right direction.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Give someone like Vintage Vee Dub Supplies a call. They recon motors and would have them in stock and you would get it delivered the next day. Boris tries to sell quality parts only. (When he can get them) Ask for Michael.

4. Mr Beckstar

Yes tried that with Vintage Vee Dub, Syncro, but have been asking for a quote for a list of parts for months with no luck :( Have given up on that.

5. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Give An
    Give Andrew Dodd automotive a try in North Rocks, he has a lot of original new old stock, random chance with him but you never know. He had a kit for a T2 mech fuel pump the other day, these are impossible to get now

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What did they say? I've never ever heard of that.

7. Mr Beckstar

Just that they’ve been really busy with preparing for race meets and the like. It was a list of perhaps difficult to get parts - maybe 20 of them. Buy yeh, last thing that happened was I was sent a photo of some of the parts they’d found but still waiting on the quote. I was chasing every week for several weeks and was told at least a few times the quote would be done in a day or two.

8. Mr Beckstar

I should add though that Michael and Boris have given amazing advice which I’ve learnt a lot from. I feel a bit guilty that they’ve given me so much help and now I’m not buying off them.

9. Mr Beckstar

Okay, I’ll be short on time in the next several weeks so have bitten the bullet and taken Harry’s motor to an engine builder. I’m going to get the whole top and bottom end checked for clearances and wear and bring anything up to spec that needs it. Oh, and a well overdue clean of the crankcase so it looks nice :)

A4698263-1CCF-465F-B800-8116411063D3.jpeg

Jethro and David H like this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ah....the Bus Stop push;). Wondering:D. I would never attempt a rebuild:oops:. Be too many bits left over but good on you Mr Beckstar for biting the bullet.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Mr Beckstar

I’ll have to take a photo of how I’ve organised the parts. It’s beautful!.....

Jethro and David H like this.
  12. David H

Swap you photos as it'll make you feel better;). Mine not so organised:oops:. More a case of "it's over there somewhere".
    Cheers

13. Mr Beckstar

No, my memory is not that good. "Over there somewhere" would be a sure-fire way of having parts left over for me!

David H likes this.
  14. Mr Beckstar

So Harry’s motor has had the heads removed and it’s immediately evident it was a good call to start stripping down.

- Number 2 cylinder is leaking pretty badly around the head/barrel joint.
    - Number 2 has noticeably too much clearance between the rod bush and the gudgeon pin
    - Number 3 has some seriously bad hone marks whilst the others are better, but still not that good. Looks like it may have original bottom end and someone’s tried to freshen it up with a hone and some rings. No wonder he was getting the occasional oil smoke out the exhaust! I’ve decided to split the case so there will be more to come on this with further inspection.
    - Numbers 1 and 2 have shims between the cylinder head and barrel whilst 3 and 4 do not and on the basis of other findings I’m thinking it’s just inconsistent workmanship rather than something good.
    - AMC heads and valves look near new

Fingers crossed the crank and camshaft are in good condition. :confused:

I’d like to add that none of this is a whinge. It’s just Harry’s journey. He’s near on 41 years old and I’m sure the stories behind getting to this point would be interesting. I wish I knew the previous owners so I could ask :cool:

Further, I got him for the right price and was expecting to have to make stuff good. When I found him, the auto box didn’t work properly and the engine was running on 3 cylinders (at best). Even though that turned out to be a loose wire (a win at the time), the engine rebuild was half expected. :)

In some ways, I’m glad to be doing this. I’ll know the long motor has been done right, I’ll know the condition of everything, and I’ll be making sure all the tinware, thermostat, flaps, grommets, etc, etc are all complete and working the way they should when he goes back together. Great opportunity to clean the engine bay too!

David H, melissa and MAP77 like this.
  15. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Only way to do it mr beckstar! Loving the detailed updates, I've got it all ahead of me one sweet day!!

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. David H

Thread reads real good Mr Beckstar:).
    Might be time to throw some paint in there whilst engine out?
    That's always a bonus to know there are years of Kombi motoring in front. Yeah..the $ hurt at the time but as it's a keeper you'll get so much future joy that $ be forgotten with trouble free motoring. Always done top & bottom on old boy with rebuilds. Just makes me feel comfortable that he's up for anything:D.
    Who's doing the rebuild?
    Cheers

17. Mr Beckstar

The paint is pretty good in the engine bay but I’ll check it out.

The dollars aren’t hurting as I know they’re being well spent. To be honest though, I probably won’t keep Harry forever, and when I sell I want to be sure I’m not selling any unknown problems to someone else. This Kombi life is for good people and I don’t want any Kombi karma either. Plus I want a nice drive whilst I’m trekking around too!

The next kombi is maybe a year or two down the track and is likely to be more of a show car which will better suit Sharyn (she loves to stylise and put things on display) and will be better for things like Old Bar, Bus Stop, the VW Nationals, etc. Except for the few that really appreciate the original Sopru style, Harry doesn’t turn heads in the way Elly-May did. That’s not a bad thing against Harry as he is very special; it’s just the facts.

Flying Volkswagen at Rutherford is doing the rebuild. Glen has been great so far.

melissa and David H like this.
  18. Mr Beckstar

51E1E71E-E0B8-4287-8310-C6031392C6FB.jpeg More on this soon. It’s going good

Jethro, David H and OSF like this.
  19. Mr Beckstar

Okay, here we go with some more photos :)

20. Mr Beckstar