Harry - 1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Twin Carb Automatic

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Mr Beckstar, Apr 5, 2017.

1. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I shoudnt say that about oil guages ,it is good to know what the engine is doing. Well as i recall it was ok ,didnt use oil .it was only an 1100cc i think, i know in a head wind it was a 3rd job most of the time but i did enjoy driving it ,brakes were a bit dodgy bordering on scary most of the time but one learnt to live with that.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Looks like a great Dad/daughters weekend in a great part of this country:cool:. Love that area.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  4. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely keen to head up that way again sometime soon. Having said that, we were blessed with the weather. About 20 degrees and cloudless skies both days. I imagine it could get a lot less comfortable up on that hilltop.

5. David H

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. Mr Beckstar

So there is still something not quite right with Harry’s tuning. An occasional “stumble” at idle and sometimes that stumble turns into a stall. I’ve been chasing the problem during the last week and here’s what I did:

- simple check on idle mixture made no difference
    - check for air leaks in balance tube and brake booster circuit and found nothing significant. Capping the connections on the inlet manifolds makes a VERY slight difference to the note, but he still stumbles with the caps on
    - check for air leaks in central idle circuit and warm air intake diaphragm. Found a split hose. WOOOT! Could this be the problem?
    - No, not the problem still stumbling
    - Drove down to Campsie to pickup synchrometer from Vintage VW so I can check tuning properly. On the freeway, the engine started to surge. Damn, what’s happening now! Exit freeway and no sign of problem. Stumble still there.
    - Chat to Boris for 15 minutes whilst picking up synchrometer and a bunch of spares I though may be needed, if not to fix the stumble but to have as breakdown spares on long trips anyway. E.g. points, condenser, plug leads, etc
    - Attempt to start Harry leaving Vintage VW and he’s dead. Not even one kick. Quickly traced to loose positive terminal on coil. WOOT! Could this be the problem?
    - No, not the problem, still stumbling at idle :(
    - New plug leads, not the problem
    - New distributor cap, not the problem
    - New coil, not the problem
    - Drive up to freeway to meet Komvoy to Bugs and Buses by the Bay. Wait at Tuggerah Interchange for 20 minutes. Try to start to join on back of passing Komvoy and absolutely no kick from motor. ARrrrrrrrggghhhh!
    - Found nothing wrong in engine bay but he fires back up after a few minutes of fiddling
    - Get home from Bugs and Buses by the Bay and decided to pull distributor to change condenser and points
    - Distributor has about 2mm end play in drive shaft instead of the 0.05 mm specified
    - Strip dizzy, reshim shaft, fit new condenser and points and lube up
    - Drive around for half an hour in freezing cold. Not one stumble, but then again it’s freezing cold. Could this be the problem fixed??? o_O

onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's hoping, Chris.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What sort of distributor is it?

10. Mr Beckstar

Thanks Mark.
    Barry, it’s a SVDA dizzy. 021 905 205 P to be exact. That’s the original distributor for the engine.

11. David H

Maybe shims help but I reckon the condenser was the 'money shot';).
    May Harry be good for your efforts:D.
    Cheers

12. Mr Beckstar

Yeh you could be right. Perhaps I’ll throw the old one back on for the exercise...

David H likes this.
  13. David H

I'd be interested in the outcome if you want to go to the effort;).
    Cheers

14. Mr Beckstar

Yes, I’ll probably remove the distributor again soon so as to give it a full rebuild. The work I did last night was a bit rushed; I just wanted to find out whether it would make a difference. To be 100% sure it did make the difference, I need to wait until I can drive Harry again during the day in some warmer weather at freeway speed.

David H likes this.
  15. Mr Beckstar

Well, there you have it. It’s safe to say Harry’s stumble issue is fixed. Root cause is faulty condenser which on closer inspection today, resulted in a small pyramid of metal growing on my points. The points were renewed about 3,000 km ago so I wasn’t expecting they’d be damaged. So the new points and condenser I installed Sunday night were warranted.

I reset the dwell to 46 degrees this morning, timed the ignition to 29 degrees BTDC at 4,200 rpm with vacuum advance hose plugged and that corresponded to 8 degrees at 800 rpm (i.e. temporarily reduced rpm whilst checking timing so as to keep well away from the centrifugal advance which starts at 1,000 rpm normally) which is pretty much spot on. Vac advance system checks out okay too. All seems to be working well.

After that, I completed the dual carburetor balancing and tuning procedure as written by Colin aka “Amskeptic” on the Itinerant Air Cooled forum here: http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7767&sid=fd6d39330b7861d0e6d7ba5e13a62a03

Harry’s is purring along beautifully now. He’s idling much more smoothly at 950 rpm in neutral. There’s absolutely no sign of stall when shifted to Drive. Seems to be running smoother right across the rev range but particularly under load at lower rpm’s and idle.

I’m soooo happy :D:D:D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018