1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone changed to an electric fridge?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by GraGra, Apr 2, 2008.

1. GraGra

GraGra New Member

I am restoring my 72 Campmobile and intend replacing the original three way Electrolux fridge with a Waeco same size electric compressor type unit (MDC65).

Has anyone done this or similar? If so do your run yours from the vehicle's battery or have you installed a dual battery system with switchover and 240v charging?

Any comments or discussion would be appreciated.

Graham

2. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Not quite. I did ditch the fridge in my camper which was a 12V / 240V for a small Waeco running off a second battery. Works well and being portable does not have to live in the kombi and take up space. Mine was originally fitted just inside the door behind the passenger's seat.

3. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I'm thinking of the same thing. The waeco fridges are 12v only, whereas the Engle are 12v/240v auto switching. I was leaning towards the Waeco fridge.

I had planned to run a second battery and use the dual battery system like:

http://www.traxide.com.au/trax1sc40_2.html

I then also planned to use a fixed battery charger, and when plugged into 240v charge up the second battery when plugged into power.

In fact, apart from, say, 1 x 240v power socket, that would be the 240v only application.

4. GraGra

GraGra New Member

Fridge Power

Thanks for the replies.

I have had a look at all the fridges and Waeco seems to be the way to go, especially for me as I want to replace exactly the old fridge. The dual battery controller in the link looks interesting I will compare it to others on the market, there is quite a variety (see 12v Shop).

For an extra $100 or so the Waeco has an automatic 240v/12v change over device which allows a mains powered charger to run the fridge on 240v when connected and charge either or both batteries. We could use this at a "powered site" in a caravan park or at home when not driving allowing us to run the fridge continuously and keep both batteries fully charged.

Mains chargers also come in many different levels of performance, I was hoping others in the Kombi Club would have knowledge of these?

I am certainly looking forward to a new (full-time) fridge and no gas situation.

Graham

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Ve have had an electric frig for yars und an all leather tefelone! Tecknowlgy is a gut thing!

6. Shifter

Shifter New Member

7. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Was it much to get it delivered to Tas?

8. Shifter

Shifter New Member

Vanders,

I can't remember but I don't think it was very much. It can via TNT and I collected it from their depot. I do know I saved over $250 on the purchase price. If I can find the invoice I'll let you know.

9. Shifter

Shifter New Member

Vanders,

Cost of freight to Tassie was $40.91 - cost of CF-50AVERA was $781.82. That's a 50 ltr fridge/ freezer. Great bit of kit.

10. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Thanks Graham. I'll file that away under 'future purchases'.

11. Barney

Barney New Member

We got rid of the old 3-way and installed an MDC-90 from Waeco seconds. We also put in the 12/240 inverter so when plugged in to 240 automatically switches over. We also installed a "big" dual battery system that will run the fridge for 50 hours, more than enough for a weekend without running the engine. Had the first trial at Eden and worked a treat, plenty of room for food and kept the beer nice and cold ! even had ice cream in the freezer !!:D

12. GraGra

GraGra New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Barney, I would be most interested in the battery system you installed. The various parts/wiring etc. Was it easy to do?

Graham