1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone owned a type 3 ?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Ray, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Ray

Ray Member

I know it's not a kombi, but I am interested in getting some feedback on those of you that have owned a type 3. Most of us are VW enthusiasts and have problably owned several different types of volkswagen.

My son Sam is about to turn 16 and we have to start thinking about cars. (the kombi is an auto and we need a manual to learn)After going to several VW meets like Klubfest etc he has taken a liking to the type 3 squareback. After looking around the more i look the more I like. Just not sure about a teenager having a 40 year car for his first drive .What should I be looking out for when buying a square. Single carb vs twin carb, late 60's vs early 70's.
    Do you know anyone selling a reconditioned squareback. Have been looking at the usual vw sites but have seen anything worth looking at yet. Although i did come across this one on a U.S site. What a gorgeous car even if it isn't a kombi. Think I'd be happy with this in the garage next to the Kombi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

3. Whatutalkinboutwillis

Whatutalkinboutwillis Member

Type 3

Gday Ray Ive had a 72 type 3 Fastback as daily driver for last 4 years ( soon to be joined by 75 Bay) Has been a great car . Saw a couple of Squarebacks for sale on Aussie veeedubbers tonight both in Brisbane , both around $3000 Might be worth a look. Cheers Matt

4. vwmad

vwmad New Member

Go the type 3 wagon they are a nice car,if it was my son i would rather see him in a type 3 than driving a vr commodore,sorry to anyone who has one but im sick of seeing P platers driving vr commodores i hate them??? cheers shane.

5. kombijon

kombijon Member

Im personally full of praise for the old type three's, they are alot more solid and robust than a beetle, the square back is also a dam sight more practicle!
    i've got 2 notch's and a square but thats getting parted out the old tin worm is killing it!
    i'm also making a trailer from a rusted out squareback! i love the old type three's!

it should make a perfect 1st car for your lad!

6. Ray

Ray Member

QUOTE=Whatutalkinboutwillis;253026]Gday Ray Ive had a 72 type 3 Fastback as daily driver for last 4 years ( soon to be joined by 75 Bay) Has been a great car . Saw a couple of Squarebacks for sale on Aussie veeedubbers tonight both in Brisbane , both around $3000 Might be worth a look. Cheers Matt[/QUOTE]

Yeh, I have been looking at those, but I wouldn't mind something that has had a little more work done. Don't really want have to do too much to it, looking for a completed restoration. There is a really nice bottle green fasty on that site. Can't talk Sam into it though, he is keen on the square. Pitty, I think that for $4200 that fastback is exceptional value.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  7. Hippy-71

Hippy-71 New Member

As Jono said I have the Rat-wagon up for sale, great interior practically new everything as far as front end,tyres etc you can have it for $3500 and if you give it a re-spray it'll look smick as.
    Passed blue slip inspection/roadworthy earlier this year.

8. old bugger

old bugger Member

i've had a type 3 for a while and can't speak highly enough of them. ditto about the fuel system though, as andrew said. cheers, pete

9. twincab75

twincab75 New Member

I had a 72 wagon for years untill i parked outside a shop one night and a drunk smashed into it! best car ever.it was a twin carb,it was also my first car great for surfing camping and very cool.worst day of my life seeing it destoyed.

10. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I got my license in a Squareback,my Mum and Dad had one.
    I love them,wish i had one.
    Great car to learn in,lots of space for camping,road trips,drive-in nights ect...
    I also remember the very direct steering and getting a little sideways in it.
    Dropping burn-outs on the grass in the backyard....sorry Dad;)
    Great memories of the Type3 Squareback.

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Had a '72 square back many moons ago (89/90) and it was a great car and had no issues with it all. They drive great and handle really well. Mine had a 1600 with twin carbs which was standard for that model. Fold down the back seat and heaps of room and plenty under the bonnet also.

Shouldn't have any issues with a 30+ yo car for the son in the Type 3 range.

Talk to Hippy71 about his.

Just missed on a notch a few years back for the Mrs but still keep the eyes peeled for one.

12. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

have one sitting in my front yard!!!.................too many projects ......:rolleyes:

13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had both a fastback and squareback, both early 70's. They were great.

My son learnt to drive in the fastback. In fact I gave it to him on his 18th. He now has more VWs than I care to count including kombis. The one that I am looking forward to is the early 60's split double door. It should be great when it is on the road. His current project is finishing his Karman Ghia.

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Only cool teenagers roll in cars that are more than twice their age ;) A squareback would be cool, but i like the notchbacks far too much.

15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

We had a Fastback - only sold it last year. Great to drive, a nasty thing to start on a cold morning and quite often would only start for me, not my husband.
    It was a 1600 TLE manual
    [​IMG]
    It had a mild cam and it purred.

Greenbay (Jay) just picked one up for his son. He only got it cause my husband wouldnt let me :(
    [​IMG]

16. pvwg

pvwg Member

I have a 1964 Type 3 Notchback called Polly has a 1600 in it goes like a bullet, both my son and I drive her could not fault the Type 3 can send you soon pics if u like.

Regards

17. Kev76

Kev76 Member

Hi Ray,
    My dad and I bought a Type 3 squareback (wagon) when I was around your sons age, we now have other cars and don't drive it as much and would be willing to sell it if you're interested. I drove around the type 3 after i got my license and it was pretty cool, we had to buy a new engine, we got the rust cut out and got it painted but we haven't done much work to the inside and its definately not a complete restoration, I'll find a photo of it and put it up soon. We live in Brisbane so if you're interested in it we're not that far away.

Dan

18. Ray

Ray Member

Thanks Dan. Sounds interesting, love to see some photos.

19. Kev76

Kev76 Member

Ray

As Dan said, I bought Frodo our Type 3 wagon when he was 16. I taught Dan to drive in him and Dan drove him to school in Grade 12. Dan's now 21.

Not long after we bought Frodo we had a new (not rebuilt) motor put in him and a year or so later we had the rust cut out and new pieces welded in. We then had him painted.

Type 3s are great cars. Truely useful.

As Dan said, Frodo is not restored. His interior is ok. He's doesn't get driven very often as Dan bought a non VW. He's a good solid car. You are welcome to come and have a look. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact details.

Bob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Used to have a nice Variant.
    Gave it to wife #4 (da Boyz' mum). She got rid of it and bought a new Astra!
    Wish I hadn't given it to her.
    Great little solo gig wagon.
    Wish I still had it.

.................... oh well!

Ray & da Boyz