1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Coronavirus caused a benefit to the environment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’ve always admired the annual Nyepi Day in Bali, which is a day where the island shuts down for 24 hours, to give the island a rest, to recover, for 1 day a year. All traffic is stopped, businesses are closed, the airport is closed, and no one is allowed on the streets, so everyone has to stay home, or in their hotel rooms.

With polluting factories in China closed for a month now, (Including reduced power production to suit), streets empty of cars in Italy, and many airlines parking 30-40% of their fleets, surely the reduced emissions for all these actions, have to benefit the planet’s environment?

Is this now a worldwide Nyepi month or more? ;)

A positive swing for the planet perhaps, whilst just some of the inhabitants panic? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

May be the planet telling everyone it has to catch it's breath :rolleyes:

Debstar and Ninga like this.
  3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Good for the planet but bad for our Super. Have to work another few years now, assuming I survive that is. :)

njg02, TeeBee and Ninga like this.
  4. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Western society used to have a day like that...I think they called it Good Friday.
    Maybe we could all set aside (on a personal basis) one day every now and then to:
    not drive anywhere if you don't have to,
    not buy anything if you don't need to,
    switch off devices and TV's if you don't need them,
    and spend some time with a neighbor who is left on their own.
    Ooops... time for the news...see ya.

ruby6689, Syncro27, Wattie and 3 others like this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Or sit around with a beer listening to Gerry's stories & jokes :) Reminds me of Old Bar

Syncro27 likes this.
  6. Grantus

It’s going to worse, before it gets better. :(

And the media also never let the whole truth, get in the way of a good story, which can cause unnecessary panic.........o_O

Luckily, I don’t, and refuse to do, “social media”. ;)

chris taylor and Debstar like this.
  7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It wasnt long ago we had one day a week that most business shut and shops were closed and in many places even half the day before.

We did have a day of rest each week to recover and give thanks for what we had but we got greedy and wanted more.

I was at presentation by some senior environmental person Will Stefan last week and he made it quiet plain that despite all the efforts and talks and presentations NONE of them have made any impact to CO2 emmisons. The Only thing that has made any significant impact was the GFC. So no doubt with the factories and businesses been closed for so long we will again see a drop at least for the early part of this year but will be overshadowed by the overtime things will run to catch up on lost production.
    But if the pandemic realy takes hold a significant reduction in our population will have a larger longer lasting effect.

David H and KahunaKombi like this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That is what we are saying also ..... sensationalising is what the media does these days - reporting is lost.

The brother works @ a building supply coy @ Tuggerah & 2 weeks ago .... a client rings and orders 48 rolls of toilet paper - next day rings and orders 1,104 bum rolls for his family in Sydney ..... 2 days later he's back for another 960 rolls .... must be the Crapalot family.
    The Company lets clients know they have toilet paper - Monday their SA warehouse is full .... COB Tuesday it's empty .... the Tuggerah branch has orders for 21,000 rolls with 10,000 confirmed orders .... production hadn't started @ that stage to replenish stock ..... so that adds to Bernie's statement with production having to catch up.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Actually I am using my car a lot more at the moment. I normally use public transport as my input to cutting back on pollution.

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am on my bike. Not that I travelled by public transport. But I am more worried about the financial implications so leaving the ute at home.
    Also got my panic buying done early. I will no doubt run out of TP at some point, but I have $200 worth of vegetable seeds on there way to bolster my already healthy stock.
    Figure I will grow more food. If nothing comes of the aftermath then I get cheap and organic veges. If it all goes pair shaped then I can still afford to each fresh food. Win win.
    And when I cannot buy TP and pasta at the shops I will barter for cucumbers.

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Need more than a day off a year to combat human impacts.
    The TP shortage begs the question: "What did we do before we had toilet paper?"
    Dont say newspaper! Talking pre easy access to paper. Grasses and leaves or a splash of water?
    Maybe I will start stockpiling leaves and grasses?

chris taylor likes this.
  12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Ive been farting less as a measure to reduce greenhouse gases - 1 less fart per day:oops:

13. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

im loving it no broken down cars roads very quiet so its good for the environment and even better for me as i finally have a min to go on line and check kc.

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

just wait till we’re only left with baked beans to eat :eek:

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You know why Indians only greet and eat with their right hands :)

16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

None are leftys?

KahunaKombi likes this.
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

18. Grantus

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Consider yourself backed up Grant! I have seen photos of Venice where the canals are clear at the moment.

20. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Clean water, lots of fish, and now even dolphins!
    It would be a truly astonishing time to visit if it wasn't for all the other stuff.

Ninga and oldman like this.