1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever considered importing your own Kombi straight from Brazil?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Guilherme Chagas, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Guilherme Chagas

Guilherme Chagas New Member

Hello Guys,

This is my first post in Kombi Club Autralia, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

My name is Guilherme, I work in an export company in Brazil and we export a lot of volkswagen from Brazil specially to Europe.

I wonder how is Brazilian kombis reputation in Australia? Is importing your own T1 straight from Brazil something people often consider?

Thanks for your comments!

Guilherme Chagas
    +55 47 9 9999 8097
    g.chagas@evolvogroup.com
    3cf47206-03c5-4480-b7ec-e4e458866de5.jpg f1a132b8-b0bc-4e82-9445-9ed2c3fd2c02.jpg 3cf47206-03c5-4480-b7ec-e4e458866de5.jpg f1a132b8-b0bc-4e82-9445-9ed2c3fd2c02.jpg 5e9effb5-0868-4239-8e1a-c2a4a33e1db2.jpg ffff716f-59c1-4219-af2e-35a9dcea5f5d.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Guilherme,

You ask the question "I wonder how is Brazilian kombis reputation in South Africa?" ...... in response I doubt many here in Australia would be able to answer the question ....... is it a typing error?

Cheers,
    Bert

3. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

A reputação dos brasileiros Kombis na Austrália não é tão boa

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I would be interested in knowing the costs (to Aust not SA!) as I have been considering doing this...

Guilherme Chagas likes this.
  5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

madnesss

David H likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

For many reasons rstucke:rolleyes:.
    Always made the point that KC is not the spot to 'advertise' your business.:(
    My view it just be a 'downhill slide' from there & also disrespectful to our sponsor :D 'The Bus Stop'.
    Cheers

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Not too worried about this one David - anyone who knows what Brasillian splits are like will stay clear.

Not saying you are dodgy Guilherme, but Brasillian splits do not have a good reputation here.

8. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

How is a bloke asking if someone wants to import a Kombi from Brazil disrespectful to The Bus Stop?

Guilherme Chagas and oldman like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Thread tidied......let’s keep the personal “comments” off the Forum please.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Debstar, Guilherme Chagas and David H like this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hi Guilherme
    Welcome to kc.

As indicated, Brazilian kombis do not enjoy a great reputation in AU's.

Some rather poor examples have been imported at times and owners then attempted to sell them off to the unsuspecting.

Some people have imported privately then had to spend what is generally regarded as a lot if money
    ( even in split kombi terms) to get them to comply with Australian standards for registration.
    ie, they might as well have considered a local or USA import for cost or ease of registration / resale value factors.

Having said that, there are some examples of happy owners and at least one local importer who fly's to Brazil to hand pick from local contacts then attends to local needs to register his imports.
    I have yet to view one of his imports but as far as I'm aware they hold up and are suitably priced in local market.

Seems Brazilian kombis are a common base for some rather extensive remodeling / fake models out of Bali.
    I have talked to guys who have observed the remodeling first hand and know restoration. They were impressed by the ability and structural integrity of one particular establishment but generally speaking the standard that is imported/ offered to Au is very poor.
    This is further complicated by dodgy Au and pommy expats living in Bali trying to flip really poor examples here. Same applies to some well known car sales operations within Australia.

From my own experience I recall very rusty Brazilian imports only a few years old in NZ in the 70's.
    Also have viewed multiple Bali kombis either in flesh or detailed photos for prospective customers and the kombis were no where as described. Some very dishonest sellers and kombis showing signs of very poor workmanship that would need extensive repair in short term.
    I am an ex panel beater/ spray painter so used to detecting problems in vehicles.

The problem you will face is that Brazilian kombis are probably linked to Bali bogjobs in mist peoples perception. Mine included.

Also the view expressed by some who should know as importer into Europe that the best out of Brazil have already been sourced and exported.
    My view is that we in Au are naive if we think that we have stumbled upon a stash of clean " barn finds" in Brazil.
    There are also a number if Brazilian exporters who have posted to sell here but no follow up to questions after initial posts.
    Most here would harbour suspicion as to quality if workmanship applied to questionable base vehicles when done in Brazil for export.
    There is also a thriving dodgy side to the kombi market/ workmanship within Australia.

Having said all that...
    If you are able to show full photographic documentation of original kombi and its build( same kombi as people do pick if its not the same one) and can supply details of delivery costs landed in Au then I'm sure there will be a few genuinely interested people.

Customers, in the most part, will require a comprehensive assurance of the quality of the kombi.

A couple if generic examples and costs landed will assist your cause.

Any current owners in Au who are willing to post their experience and or able to describe or show an imported kombi would also be advantageous.

Good luck.
    Cheers
    Col

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Guilherme! :)

Have we missed the point that EVOLVO are actually an export company, NOT Brazilian Kombi sellers, and their expertise lies in exporting vehicles, including Kombi’s, (should you be looking at buying a Brazilian Kombi, and in need of a way to get it home), and probably anything else you may want freighted from Brazil to anywhere else, which is the service being offered? o_O

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  12. Guilherme Chagas

Hi Bert! You are right, I just edited it, was a typing error.

13. Guilherme Chagas

Hi Grantus! Thanks, you are 100% correct, Evolvo is not a kombi seller by any means, we are an export and import company, I created this discussion only to better understand why Brazilian buses have bad reputation in some countries. We started to export Kombis because random import companies worldwide started to hire us to search buses for them and then export it. That when I started to enjoy them, haha.

Debstar, oldman and KahunaKombi like this.
  14. Guilherme Chagas

Dear Garth,

You can get in touch with me through emails, calls, text messages and WhatsApp.
    Below all my available contacts, I will be happy to answer you.

Guilherme Chagas.
    Cell Phone +55 47 9 9999 8097 (WhatsApp messages and calls)
    Email g.chagas@evolvogroup.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018