1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by madmaddy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 75 bay the headlights have just stopped working but the parkers still work. Have checked fuses, Globe. I have replaced light switch thinking this may be the problem but it wasn't. Does anyone know what else could be the problem?:wtf:
    Cheers
    Jen

2. pod

pod Member

probably the headlight relay

3. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Headlight problem

Yes I think that must be it. Just ordered one from bus stop. Thanx

4. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Hi All,
    Replaced Head light relay in fuse box and head lights still don't work. Need help please.......

Jen

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Try checking the earths on the headlight circuit. They can get wet and fail with corrosion.

Trace the brown wires from the headlight switch to any metal part of the body - undo them, clean/ wire brush and redo them up tight.

Hopefully that works.

For it to suddenly go it is usually a globe or a fuse issue so this is a little strange - ie usually they dim then slowly gte worse - have you added any spot lights or other accessories lately?

6. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Haven't added any thing new. I will trace the brown earth wires tomorrow and clean and check that they are tight. I will let you know how i go.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards
    Jen

7. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Headlight problem

Ok I checked the wiring still no headlight Grrrrrrr. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
    Jen

8. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Get yourself a test light and see where the power isn't getting through. start at the headlights and work backwards. Download yourself a wiring diagram and away you go!.

Hasn't got 75 but 73-74 or 76 should be very very close.

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also bear in mind that the hibeam switch operates the relay not the lights directly. When you operate it you should hear a click from the relay. This is with or without the light switch on. If no click from the relay it is the control for the relay that is faulty not the headlight circuit. Havent got time to fully explain tonight I am sorry but if you are still having probs I will try to put a better explanation up tomorrow. The wiring diagram can be a little daunting for non tech minded people.

Edit: Lets us know what is working ie tail lights, dash lights, park light, high or low beam and or flash hi beam. Little hint there are different fuses for high and low beam for each head light, or 4 fuses. white and yellow wires on one side and white/black and yellow /black for the other side. check with a test light to see if the is voltage between any of these wires and the chassis of the car with any combination of dip switch on or off and head lamp switch on or off.

Cheers

Adrian

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  10. YogiDub

YogiDub Member

Guess what our 79 2lt headlights died the same way last friday night. I pulled the switches out and multimetered them, they seemed OK with the exception of the hazard light switch which had self destructed behind the dash. Mick motors has them for about $43. I did find dust build up in the fuse box which I blew out, replaced the light relay and the blinker relay. (our blinkers went terminal when searching for the h/light problem.) So far I've got back the highbeam, so earth's Ok, the blinkers are working and the new Hazard switch is going in, but no low beam.

11. YogiDub

YogiDub Member

Headlights are still not working, have you fixed yours Madmaddy? If so, what helped? Noel

12. Sweeney

Sweeney New Member

Hi, i'm having a bit of trouble with my lights too, but i know i am to blame... I've got headlights working on their own little switch and i had guitar stompbox switches doing the parkers, but i just bought an original light switch and have taken apart the parker switch to get it on the new original switch, but can't get it o work. Because of this, at night i still have headlights, just no tail lights and i can't see my speedo... Any help with what all the connections are for?

Sorry to chime in on your sos thread, but i thought this area would know best!

13. YogiDub

YogiDub Member

Sweeney, I don't know what model your kombi is, but our headlight switch has the tiny contact closest to the knob with the grey/red wire for the dash lights, it is worked by the rheostat light dimmer switch part. The two contacts inline on the right side are for the red power lead from fuse No. 8, (counting left to right) No wire on the second contact. Grey wire from fuse no 1 operates your parking lights and I think is at the back of the switch furthest from the knob. A brown and black wire runs to your blinker switch for high beam dipping, (if you pull out the plug on the door side at the base of your steering wheel cover panels it's the second wire in on the small tapered end. if I remember correctly) Black and yellow wire from fuse no 10 goes to the other contact on the left side of the headlight switch. The colours of the wires may change if your kombi is not later than 75. If that doesn't work PM me a fax number and your model kombi and I'll fax you a wiring diagram. Noel.

14. YogiDub

YogiDub Member

gidday, for those who want to know how it worked out, OUR HEADLIGHTS ARE WORKING
    again HOORAH!!! After testing everything and pulling everything apart it turned out to be a faulty relay that just plugs into the bottom of the fusebox next to the indicator flasher can.
    Even the new one we bought was faulty from new! The GOOD NEWS there is that Mickmotors in Northgate Brisbane replaced it under warranty in a blink of an eye and it worked the headlights again instantly!!!! According to Mick "about 1 in 100 are lazy" and don't necessarily work from new.

15. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Another much rarer cause can be aftermarket head light switches. My bus came with a Narva replacement Headlight switch (can look very similar to orig) they often have a fuse on the switch which can easily be over looked... is your switch the orig VW item, may be worth checking too. I just swapped the switches with my old donour bus back to the factory one.

16. Wooly

Wooly Member

On the subject of headlights, i need to replace the globes in mine as they are pretty dim and one is out. Any good tips on what sort of globe for a brighter light??

17. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

If its a h4 Set up Philips do a globe called a +80 its still a 50/65watt globe but has an 80% stronger beam (closer to say a 80/100watt) with out having to rewire your car made from real quartz too so they handle heat etc well don't pop as easy as other brands when wet. stay away from the blue type globes they tend to be more for a wank than actual distance gain. However I do sell both and if a 19year old wants the blues and doesn't want the advice I'll sell em to him/her.:p The catch with Philips brand globes is only a few places stock them, Repco, Bursons seem to be the main ones.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  18. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Head lights are working now after fiddling around, I think t was a bad earth.
    Now have a bigger problem, reversed kombi out today to give a wash, started washing away when I noticed smoke coming out of the dash everywhere. Opened the doors and the smell was electrical, in a big panic quickly disconnected the earth at the battery, then the smoke cleared. Looked under dash and at the head light switch wiring and the wire that feeds the interior lights has melted completely thru and has travelled back to the middle interior light, the front one is ok. Does anyone know why this happened? I think I will take it to a auto electrician as I don't completely understand it.
    Thanks Jen

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Check your other thread for my take on your latest problem. Meany to mention in it that the wire may have the insulation worn off it so exposing the copper and causing the short when the water has reached it.

Adrian