1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlining for a Camper

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by KombiKrazy, May 21, 2008.

1. KombiKrazy

KombiKrazy New Member

Maybe it'll get answered here... I was just wondering how i would go about getting a headliner (in the normal material) for my camper... with the poptop it just makes the pattern a little different as the cab seems to be a separate piece to the rear and then there's a hole in the middle of the rear for the poptop. can anyone help with patterns or something?
    also wanting to get the thing in pretty soon so i can put all the windows back in after the re-spray...
    thanks for ya help,
    ryan

2. emby

emby Active Member

I don't know if it's going to help or not, but I just went and saw my trimmer and he said he could do it the old way if i wanted. Basically he said if I could get hold of a headliner for a whole bus then he just trims out the opening for the pop-top and dresses it into the opening, then using the same material he will line the pop-top. This way, he says, it saves on hours of buggering around trying to get a new one made to measure.

So it seems like the trick is, get hold of a new headliner first. If you manage that then can you let me know where you got it from so I can get one too? I'm after a perforated one myself, if not then the one with the black dots will do fine.

Cheers

Matt

3. KombiKrazy

KombiKrazy New Member

ok thanks for that :D now i just have to hunt down a trimmer to do the job.
    here's where ya can get them from... even the bits that surround the windows...

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/latebus.php?Section=Headliners and Interior&stat=1

only thing i can see that might be a problem is the fact it has the seems in it whereas the campers didnt have them in the rear section (from wat i know) because they didnt have the bows...

4. emby

emby Active Member

Nice work. I'll go and have a chat with the trimmer and see what he says about those seams and post back.

Matt

5. emby

emby Active Member

I spoke to the trimmer today and he said it saves an awful lot of messing around if he has a complete liner to start with,

The only problem he can see is matching the material to go into the pop-top itself. One of the things he suggested was seeing if the suppliers could supply another section of material, full width and length to trim it out.

I tried that westcoast metric mob. They wanted $315 in delivery costs on top of an order worth $285. Unfortunately they don't have a contact e-mail address. Did you have ay luck with them?

Cheers

Matt

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  6. KombiKrazy

KombiKrazy New Member

ok done some more sniffing round. this guy's in melbourne. found him through ebay AGES ago and remembered the other day. tracked him down again and he got back to me today. here's the msg bellow:

hello thankyou for your message
    yes i can supply you with this item
    i only have the normal vw bus 70s pattern if this suits your model
    message me i can manufacture you this item with extra cut pices for the sides will cost $429.95
    postage and packing
    cost $29.95
    place your order
    thankyou

the guy that sprayed my kombi is also spraying another and has come across someone local who can do my headliner... dunno if he has the pattern himself. if he does i'll ask how much he'll charge and if it's cheaper i'll get back to you with that as well.

7. emby

emby Active Member

8. KombiKrazy

KombiKrazy New Member

YOU LEGEND!!! thanks heaps for that info! i'll get onto that :D
    also, there's a fair few other parts on that site... didn't even know about it till just then. thanks again
    ry

9. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

jbugs.com is another supplier in the US

10. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

generally the campers are built from a standard kombi, therefore the front section is as per a standard bus (not a microbus ) and the rear section is aftermarket

11. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

How did you go with the headliners guys???

Happy with price, quality and fit?

Looking at putting one in but the van has never had one past the cab. Do I need to price a cab section and the rest or do they come as one unit?

Many questions... Hope I can get some answers!

Thanks heaps.

Phill.

12. emby

emby Active Member

I'm not sure yet. Happy with the price, but I havent seen it yet. I'll get to see it on Friday and with a bit of luck it should be installed in about two weeks time.

I'll let you know how it goes

13. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks for the reply... Look forward to the review!

14. emby

emby Active Member

Hey Buddha,

I'm glad to say I'm very happy with the liner. Good quality. Comes in two sections. Front cab and rear section. Off to the trimmers next (as soon as the bus turns up), so I'll post a few piccies when it's in.

I bought the complete package from cip1. Bows, liner and hinge covers for AU$380, including delivery. So i'm pretty happy with the price to.

So far I can recommend getting this stuff from cip1.

matt

15. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know Matt!

Cip 1 have sold out for now but i'm definately looking at other options.

Phill.

16. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

how did you get it so cheap?
    I just checked out the website, and they estimated $510, for bows, liner (cab and rear) and hinge covers. $160 for delivery in nsw?

17. emby

emby Active Member