Heat exchanger insulation?

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys, was mr unhappy about the potential asbestos hazard in my exchangers so i dunked them underwater and split the cases by using a flapper wheel along the folds, removed and double bagged the contents and now i need to install an alternative, any ideas of what would be a good material to use?
    Still need to degrease, blast, repair and then mig the seams but will update with progress,
    Few pics below for your entertainment,
    Mr h
    IMG_58854.jpg IMG_2824.jpg IMG_2825.jpg IMG_2826.jpg IMG_2827.jpg IMG_2828.jpg

David H likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mr happy likes this.
  3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

mr happy likes this.
  4. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

5. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Also people, if you can see in the pictures above there is a thick aluminium foil that keeps the insulation seperate from the exhaust fins so i will need to source some new stuff, maybe from one of the automotive shops?
    Mr h

6. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Ok kids,
    Ordered some 0.35 embossing aluminium from a craft place online to place in the exchangers but thought i'd post a few pics of my welding progress. Basically i'm a total welding newbie but bought a decent mig setup so i'm not fighting poor equipment as well as being useless. Have been learning as i go along so go gentle, last photo or so its starting to come together a bit more but still lots of practice needed. Had to knock back the first efforts with a flapper disk and whilst functional they do look pretty horrendous. Spose its not the end of the world as it is only the exchangers. Think the material is only 0.95mm and havent blown many holes so thats something! Will post a few more pics when insulation goes in an i get these babies back together,
    Mr h
    IMG_2850.jpg IMG_2852.jpg IMG_2856.jpg IMG_2857.jpg IMG_2853.jpg

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Not too ugly mr happy & good on you for having a go. Nice learning welding on bits one doesn't see:p. Hides the learning curve sins:oops:;). Good work & keep us posted. Coat of heat paint will hide some sins;) but your end product gets a pass from me.
    Cheers

mr happy likes this.
  8. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

A little squirt of high temp exhaust repair paste wiped across my dodgy welds does wonders
    Mr h

David H and chris taylor like this.
  9. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that welding ,so long as it is strong is all that matters, in an non heat situation you can always tidy it up with body filler, as i do , then it looks good .

mr happy likes this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Doing well. :cool:
    A lot better than many who think they are genius's.
    Agree with the Al insulation over anything fiberous as well.

mr happy likes this.
  11. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    I digress a little here but jeez they don't make mufflers like they used to, thought i'd clean mine up and its built like a tank, not tinny like your modern exhausts, looks like this is only 15 yrs old but under that slight surface rust is a solid beast,
    Mr h
    1141966E-BD25-4148-972A-ECA67693F9E4.jpeg 6B511A0D-3024-4766-A66B-3CBF4FFFEBDA.jpeg

OSF and chris taylor like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Looks like (sound like) it's going back on.:) They don't make things like they use to,if it's sound and solid it must still be good .If it is ratty light and tinnier. It probably wasn't build to last long .

mr happy likes this.
  13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi wayne ,regards to mr happy exhaust are not these boxes made of stainless steel . mine has been on since i bought the van 27 years ago.

mr happy likes this.
  14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

My original muffler still there & good 42 years later:D.
    Cheering

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Mufflers on the owners, wear out way quicker than the one on the buses..........:p

mr happy and Wayne murray like this.
  16. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I don't think there made the exhausts from stainless steel. It will depend on how there are driven as well,o_O if they are driven on short runs the condensation doesn't have time to heat up enough to dissipate the moisture.:eek: Causing it to rust,:(Where long runs it would,my x2 cents worth.:D

mr happy likes this.
  17. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

1 exchanger finished and back on the engine, came up fairly good,
    Mr h
    IMG_2867.jpg IMG_2869.jpg IMG_1343.JPG IMG_2875.jpg IMG_2878.jpg

Mordred, rstucke, David H and 3 others like this.