1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heater blower relay

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Farky66, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey folks,
    Just wondering if there are any relay switches available for the heater blower which are not original products?
    Mine needs replacing but don't want to spent $75-100 on an original as I might as well buy another jumper for that price.
    Its for a 76 bay by the way.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Before you replace the relay, have a close look at all the connections - including the in-line fuse.
    I thought my bus' relay was shot but it turned out to be a corroded connection inside the in-line fuse holder.....
    $75- $100.00 seems an awful lot for a 12v relay....:umm:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

A normal generic 12v relay will do it.

4. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was just a loose connection or something similar but unfortunately not. I get 12v all the way until the relay then nothing from the output. I also by passed the relay and the fan also works fine.

Will there be a generic relay that should plug straight in or will a bit of rewiring be required?

Thanks

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The heater relay also relies on the charging voltage from the Alternator. It will only start the fan once it gets charging voltage(above 13V). It will not start engine off/ignition on... Make sure the inputs are correct and operational.

7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I had issues with with mine not working also. It was a bad earth connection in the vent control lever in the dash.

As 1500king said alternator needs to be working to turn the relay on. Can only checck the operation with the engine running.

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Can only check the operation with the engine running

...mmmm curious. My fan kicks in as soon as the ignition is turned on, prior to starting/running.
    Sounds like it's probably been replaced then ?

9. saabman

The "standard" supply voltage for the heater fan relay comes directly from the D+ output from the alternator.

Yours has probably been modified at some stage OM ;)

10. Farky66

Farky66 Member

hmm...Thats strange. Mine used to work without the engine running as I remember bumping the switch and wondering where the noise was coming from. It then died soon after that so for ages I have thought it was the motor that was burnt out until i check it the other day. Since it had stopped working I have had a new alternator fitted so maybe the connecting there could be dodgy?

11. saabman

Well I stand corrected ! :eek:

According to the Bentley manual it depicts the relay voltage for the fan coming from the D+ terminal of the regulator - which should be a blue wire.

In my 77 the relay power is connected directly via a black wire to the + on the ignition coil which of course is powerd as soon as the ignition is turned on.

12. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

WE love it...this is where you learn stuff!! :)

13. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Excellent info! I need to get mine going as well amongst other things.....while I'm here, did u get my PM 1500king?