Heater booster fan!

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by fekkinell, Jul 18, 2007.

1. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

Recently I was having problems finding an original booster fan for a '77 bay. I finally found one but it wasn't quite boosty enough.

After chatting with Ed (aka kombikid), he sent me an ebay link to an inline marine blower fan. Traditionally used to empty the bilge of unwanted gases before starting the motor, I adapted it to suit my needs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It takes it's power straight from the battery, has an inline 6amp fuse (manufacturers recommendation as the blower draws 4amps), and the switch runs off the fusebox and triggers a relay which is mounted next to the blower.

The switch is now located next to the warning light switch on the dash, and has a pretty little red LED that lights up when the fan is on. It also goes off with the ignition for added ease of use.

The fan was a little noisy at first so I mounted it again with rubber foam between it and the floorpan, and used hoseclamps to wrap the unit in some leftover sound deadening fabric.

Result = 3 degrees outside and a toasty 22 inside!!

2. 4tune8

4tune8 New Member

what an absolute PISSER......been looking at the threads about fan boosting and most apply to type 4 engines......this is perfect for any

STICKY PLEASE

3. 4tune8

4tune8 New Member

man...that was quick.....

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

And in the summer you can point it out the back for extra shove!

cruisn likes this.
  5. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Link

Any chance of posting the link please?

Kombirod

1974 Singlecab

6. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

7. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Cheers

Fekkinell that was quick.

8. Necro

Necro Active Member

Looks Brilliant.....

My heater works but the fan is just not strong enough....

Going faster is nice though, get more warmth....

Need a freeway to cope with 5 degrees....a lot of freeway....

Does this mean you get decent heat and the cabin warms up quickly.....?

I think I will have to do this.....Thanks for the tip....

9. Necro

Necro Active Member

If you put it further back on the kombi, wouldn't you get more out of the rear vent to and lower the noise....ot is that the only spot it fits....?

10. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

Actually I thought the exact same thing after I'd fitted it... that maybe if I'd put it in the middle, it'd be more effective.

Either way, it seems to do the job. The air coming out the vents is the same temperature (nice and warm), but there is just more of it.

Rather than needing a freeway, you can just suck it through at the lights.

Also, as you can see in the pics, one of my previous upgrades was the rubber ducting ;)

11. Philia

Philia New Member

Is that the three or the four inch model and is that new tubing and where did you get it. (The Tubing That is)

Sorry got excited at the moment

12. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

I got the 3inch model because it matched the diameter of the ducting where i wanted it located... The main duct is 4inches, so I'd say grab whichever suits where you want the fan located.

The ducting came from a place called Purple Pig! I just measured the original duct and got the equivalent in reinforced rubber.

http://www.purplepig.com.au/

;)

13. Philia

Philia New Member

Taa Fekkinell
    I am on my way

14. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

15. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Reprise post?

Hi All,

If anyone is still listening to this post, can I see some shots of the setup of the rest of the rubber conversion of the main heater channel. My whole heater setup has been massacred by a combination of rust and idiocy and its not so toasty here in Melbourne. My Kombi is normally a summer friend but this season is an abberation.

Dingo

16. Doc

Doc Active Member

"Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here."

For all those who have put datmar bilge blowers/ nascar brake coolers as inline heater booster fans mine has just failed.
    [​IMG]

The problem appears that the metal shaft of motor holding the impellar in place (The shaft of the electric motor) gets too hot and the the impellar melts off it.

Bloody German efficiency sending all that hot air forward off the exhaust melts the guts out of the blower. That is why VW pushes the air through the exchangers and doesn't suck.

Oh well....

17. emby

emby Active Member

Saw a good programme on Discovery the other night where they made a windmill out of old steel barrels.

Do you think the problem could be fixed if a metal impellar could be used? I have a few (dozen) old beer cans lying around from the weekend :D

18. Doc

Doc Active Member

It would have to be better than the crap plastic one I am looking at in my hands with that I new it was to good to be true look!!!

19. emby

emby Active Member

How many of you bought one of these?

If you can get the numbers up to 100 then it might be worth giving these people a go

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/200901880/Titanium_Impeller.html

;)

20. emby

emby Active Member