Heater booster fan!

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by fekkinell, Jul 18, 2007.

1. rick66

rick66 New Member

Guys I was an air conditioning tech and I noticed in the photos that you are using flex, make sure that it is the fire rated duct and you could probley buy from an air cond parts a aluminium impellar or try fan tech in Eastern creek N.S.W

2. barbiepurl

barbiepurl Guest

Heater booster fan

RARE 6v HEATER BOOSTER FAN:
    It is an inline heater booster fan for oval and split era beetles. simply break free the 2 spot welds holding on the the heater muff boxes under the back seat, slide in the fan , secure with 2 sheet metal screws and run 1 wire to a switch at the dash. this was in HOT VWs rarest of the rare section. 6V fan, all metal squirrel cage design should last another 50 years. Just try it out!!
    ---------------------
    Barbie Purl
    Social advertiser

3. Royce

Royce Active Member

UK solution

Saw this today

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/heat.htm

Alot of people are using marine bilge blowers for this purpose,we tried this years ago and although they are cheap to buy there are disadvantages,

1) They have been known to warp and or melt. due to the heat.

2) They are extremely noisy, to the point of being uncomfortable.

The heat booster we provide is of an excellent quality and built to last,tried and tested by us on our van for the last 10 years.

Heat booster, heavy duty squirrel type fan delivers 120cfm. Brings heat up from the heat exchanger.

Fits splits,Bays and Air cooled T25s in hot air pipe under cab floor .

Brings the heat to where it should be Click Here for more info

Price £75.00 each

4. Doc

Doc Active Member

I wrote to this mob about 6 months ago but no replies

5. Nigel

Nigel Member

1968~79 VW Type 2, heating-system booster fans

There was a write-up a few years ago, on the installation of this under-cab-floor booster fan, in a past issue of the bi-monthly club-magazine "Transporter Talk", published by the British, Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club.

6. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

Argh! Alas what everyone is saying about the marine pump seems to be true. Mine just died! Same problem, the fan fell off it's shaft.

Damn!

Had to happen just as Melbourne starts to freeze over too :(

7. leithbro

leithbro Member

I had actually wondered how they would fair. Bilge blowers are not designed to run for extended periods of time, generally 10 - 15 mins or so before startup to extract any fuel vapors. i had thought about these as a replacement for ambulance fans, but steered away from them for that reason.
    Shame though. Has anyone tried adapting the 12v ball bearing fans you can get at jaycar?
    http://jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?whichpage=5&pagesize=10&keywords=fan&form=KEYWORD

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  8. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

I've glued the impeller back onto the shaft with araldite. It's lasted a good couple of years before it fell off so I'm hoping the araldite will be enough to get me through winter at least.

I'm too lazy to experiment with the Jaycar fans. Be interested to see if they work though.

I'd like to find a squirrel cage blower to fit up the front but there aren't many around that are appropriate.

9. leithbro

leithbro Member

ahhh epoxy, is there anything it can't do?

has anyone ever measured the diam of the amb fans? no time to do at the moment but wondered, have thought a bit about how to install thosse jaycar ones and if i get the diam right i reckon i could do it.

10. Nigel

Nigel Member

Heating system, in-line booster fans

Just for interest, I tried one for size several years ago, but found it was much larger than the under-floor hot-air duct. Besides which, being all-plastic, except for the electric motor, it probably would not have been suitable anyway!

11. Doc

Doc Active Member

Nigel perhpas you could become the exporter of the bluebird unit as they don't seem to answer there OS emails ........

12. Nigel

Nigel Member

Bluebird Customs

I have corresponded with Richards Foks (proprietor of Bluebird Customs) in the past, so I might be able to re-establish contact with him. :)

13. Doc

Doc Active Member

Thanks Nigel ..... very interested.

14. emby

emby Active Member

Doc, what's the overall idea behind the (I assume) pull fan?

Is the pushfan on the snail motor not providing much airflow (I know mine doesn't.....yet)

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a higher velocity of air pick up less heat as it passes through the exchangers, thus providing more air but at a coooler temperature?

I still think the idea of ducting the heated air collected at the top of the bus back through the snail fan is the way to go for more hot air in the bus.

15. Doc

Doc Active Member

Matt
    I believe that when a furnace (engine) is hot the limiting factor on ducted heat is the air flow across the heated surface of the furnace.
    Next
    Your ducted from inside the vehicle and returning it to the heater booster fan (recycling the heat ) I don't think will work. Experiment velcro yourself to the ceiling of you bus ........how warm is it ......pretty drafty .....perhpas if you are lucky it may get to say 21 degrees on a cold night (pretty unlikely) ....Now the second part of the experiment climb into the engine bay and close the lid........ how warm is it in there .....can you smell the crackling .....thats your flesh cooking on top of the engine.
    Always amazed how warm it is on top of an air cooled engine.

The blackbird unit I was going to use as well as the normal heater booster fan. Switch would then read Hi .....Low .......GALEFORCE!!!

16. emby

emby Active Member

I see what you're saying Doc, and it gave me a big chuckle, but I still need convincing.;)

My philosophy is based on the fact that outside air comes in the through the scoops into the engine bay. Most goes to cool the "furnace" but some gest sucked in by the hairdryer and is passed over the heat exchangers. Now if the ambient temperature is -1.5 (as it is right now) then the flow of air over the exchangers, at say 1 and half litres per second, can only pick up so much heat due to it's velocity through the box. If you pump pre-heated air from inside the bus, where the ambient temperature is slowly climbing, surely the air will heat more.

Then again I miserably failed my physics A-Level, so I'm sure I'm missing something about the specific heat capacity of air and its density at different temperatures.

I can see an experiment coming on. Now how much velcro do you need to suspend a 70kg man from the roof of a kombi? :D

17. Doc

Doc Active Member

You will be pleased to know I hold the patent on Velcro suits .... mostly they come in children sizes ......for parents who want to find their children where they left them say ceiling.....wall ........top of car.

18. emby

emby Active Member

Now what happened to those Doc? I remember they used to be a great addition to any kids / grown ups party. Fly suits I think they used to call them in the UK. Put on your fly suit and run and jump off a trampette and fling yourself at a velcro wall. Great fun. Almost as safe as a jumping castle

19. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

OOH!!! I forgot to take piccies but I upgraded again.

The araldite worked and the impeller stayed on the shaft so the booster fan is boosting again, BUT I still wanted more.

http://www.shagadelic.org/VW/info/gmbulley-soundproof/heatdum.html

After reading this I went down to the local ducting supply store and asked for that magical ducting insulation tubing. Long story short, I got laughed out of Bunnings, Purple Pig and the local HVAC people.

Undeterred I grabbed an old yellow Fat-Batt I had lying around and marched back into Bunnings whereupon I purchased 2 rolls of gaffer tape and some plastic sheeting.

I pulled all the ducts off the bottom of the van. Mine are reinforced rubber ducts that I installed a few years ago and they had retained their shape after being baked down there for so long, which turned out perfectly for this project.

Basically I tore down the Fat-Batt until it was about an inch thick and I wrapped it around the ducts, temporarily 'tacking' it into place with little pieces of gaffer tape. I then wrapped the whole duct in the sheet plastic leaving about an inch of duct poking out each end to give the tape something to seal to.

The batt + plastic sheeting was then completely bound in gaffer tape in much the same way that you'd wrap a bandage around a swollen ankle. At each end I pulled the tape tight and wrapped it several times so that when I tightened the hose clamps it wouldn't damage my new water sealed, insulated ducting.

RESULT = AAAWWWWESSSOOOMMNEEESSS!!

Went up and over the Dandenongs to test it. 4degrees outside, 20 inside WITHOUT my front booster fan. Just the standard Kombi squirrel cage blower at the back.

SWEEET!!!

:D

20. Nigel

Nigel Member

Recycling passenger-cabin air through the exhaust heat exchangers

Sometime ago, I discussed on The Samba forum, the concept of recycling warm air from the passenger cabin, through the exhaust heat exchangers, to reduce warm-up time and facilitate greater passenger-cabin temperatures, during cold weather.

Bay Window Bus > Major Heater System Improvement

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56101

Bay Window Bus > Can the 80-83 Vanagen motor be used for an earlier Type 4

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210245

Bay Window Bus > 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon engine, in 1972~79 VW 1600 & 17/18/2000 Type 2

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250452

Bay Window Bus > Arthur Barraclough's, much vaunted, modified, 1970 VW Type 2

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196043

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009