Heater booster fan!

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by fekkinell, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Necro

Necro Active Member

I love the look of the last one pictured 12v fan, heat resistant...made to fit auto's for this purpose...I could put one under the cab and run snorkels from the exchangers to side vents maybe for fresh air not engine air on my DC...Sounds very feasible. One fan, one switch, hot air...and if I block the fan shroud, no engine smells...this could be the baby I am looking for....:eek: sounds like a testimonial....If I buy one I will let everyone know how good or crap they are.....

2. Nigel

Nigel Member

Heating-system booster fans

To which 12V fan do you refer?

3. leithbro

leithbro Member

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

5. leithbro

leithbro Member

Yeah, I don't know Nigel. By all intents and purposes, they should be ok. For the price probably worth a crack anyway. (It's 30+ degrees C here at the moment, so I'm not the man to check it out !) The reason I think these will be ok is that they are continuous duty, where the other ones I think people here have used have not been.

If you think about the actual intended application for these fans, it's running in a small engine bay with a watercooled 5-8L engine running. They are operating with heat in this scenario anyway, so I wouldn't have thought they would be too bad off the heat exchanger.

The other ones used are really only designed for short run cycle before startup and shutdown to extract vapours from the bilge. I believe this may actually be where the failure is coming from.

There is also something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Flexmount-Continuous-Duty-Blower/dp/B002CYV3QW

But $200 is getting up there.

<ahem> the shurflo come wth a 3 year warranty according to the website ;) Not sure how that would fare in this application though...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. leithbro

leithbro Member

7. JonV2

JonV2 Member

For the boat engine compartments, I wonder if the fans are only used to blow cool air INTO the engine compartment, rather than extract hot air OUT of one. If this was the case there would not be any problem with the fan blades melting off the spindle. Unfortunately for us this is not what we need :(

8. leithbro

leithbro Member

It depends on the setup. The purpose is not cooling but to extract flammable vapours from the engine compartment. This can either be done by blowing cool air in or sucking hot air out.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, and sure, if the fan is blowing cool air it is cooling itself to an extent. It is certainally not uncommon for a blower to extract, or to even have one which sucks and one which blows.

http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine/911_trouble_shooting/911-723-C.pdf

A lot of boats will have between a 4.7L and 8.1L V8, or even two of in a small compartment. The gases would be hot for sure. I really think the issue is more related to the continuous duty rating than the hot gases. Often with smaller vessels, the blower is only really run before startup, hence continuous duty is not necessary. The booster could be fitted closer to the front of the vehicle as well, where gases would be cooler.

Think how hot the air coming through the little plastic fan in your laptop or out your PC power supply gets. Nothing melts there, should be fine.

In saying that, I haven't put my money where my mouth is as I'm in FNQ, and I definitly see your point :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. grumble

grumble Active Member

We run a couple of the bilge blower fans on my sons superbug as a booster for the heater,fitted under the rear seat in place of the box tube and wired using a coil resistor to give 2 speeds. They have been in there for 7 years or so. We fitted them to boost the heaters from the T4 2 litre.