Heater cable

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Happy_Camper, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

hey guys trying to sort out my heater cables, in what order do they attach to the lever. Anyone have any photos? Sorry for my crappy photo, too dark behind the dash.
    image.jpeg

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Going from memory it is the flap for up and down warm air (dash or feet) first then the left and right hot air control. This is looking at the cables while sitting in the drivers seat. The are fitted to the back of the mounting bracket with a long single clip which is tricky to get to clip in place. The other trick is the left and right hot air control cables fit together with one clipping on to the other through the control lever.

Adrian

3. Happy_Camper

Okay thanks for the reply, it verifies that I was doing it right, pain of a job haha. I think the issue is that one of the cables is not moving in and out and just seems to be bending at the top. Looks like a new cable is needed. I even tried tugging it from back at the heater riser and got no movement at all.
    Cheers

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

They are only $30-40 so just get a new one. They are not worth trying to fix, but you may have issues getting the old casing out of the tubes under the bus. If it proves too hard you can cable tie them alongside the tube and they will still work, although a little tighter. There is a fitting at the engine end you need to remove off the end of the tube to enable the old one to come out easily too.

Adrian

5. Happy_Camper

Yeah I replaced the passenger side cable but thought the drivers side looked okay, obviously not haha.

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

Can anyone explain how to get the cable out of the tube at the engine end - mine move a bit but seem to be jamming inside the tube.

With the engine out I figure it will be much easier however everything is very stiff - thx very much for any ideas

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew,

Never had to change them but my best guess would be to drown the inside of the tube (not the cable) with RP7 or WD4o from both ends & then wait a week before attempting removal & then do a little shuffle front rear, front rear to loosen it. Nothing in the manual about this. I'm thinking it may be easier to take out towards the engine after disconnecting at the front.

If really pressed I'd just replace the inner cable & just slide it thru sleeve:p .
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

David H likes this.
  9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thx Dan and david - I will persevere and have a read of the links and let you know how I get on

10. PICT

PICT Member

A trick I've heard of is park on a slope, use WD40 in the end that is higher up, add/fill a couple of time a day until it loosens, might take a week but it should work.

andrew likes this.
  11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thx good idea car is on stands so will have a go