1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Luna

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Luna76, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce Luna, my recently acquired 1976 Sopru Campmobile.
    Bought locally just before Christmas, in the Macedon Ranges, Vic.

I had a VW beetle as my first car when I was 17, in the UK, and the VW bug has never left (just been in prolonged hibernation!). Drove Gracie from Hire a Kombi in Oct last year, and the bug was back. Been looking for a kombi since then.

Have been working like crazy on her since late Jan to get her back into shape.

Main issues that need attention:

Engine-valves/heads shot. Compression 0% on 1 cylinder, 50% on 2. Front brakes seized, tie-rods worn, rear brake shoes completely worn, CV boots split. Had brakes/steering fixed and currently having a complete engine rebuild courtesy of Dean at V-Dubs Only. Towed her back minus engine and she is now in my neighbours shed where I have plenty of space to work on her

Exterior-Rust-not too bad. Bits and bobs in the usual places but seems less than the average. Pop-top-desperately needs repair and repaint.

Interior-Sopru camper interior all ripped out on purchase, floor needing complete replacement. Rock n roll bed frame fine but needs complete reupholstering. DPD overhead A/C originally installed but not functioning. Compressor removed, pipes and evap/dryer all present, overhead units removed but almost intact.

Corona lockdown has provided lots more weekend time to work as all 3 kids weekend sports cancelled.

Lots of photos to post on work so far, will create a new thread in Resto Corner

Have learnt so much already from the forum, thanks for all your posts and such a great community.

Duncan

IMG_6282.JPG 59817488675__5C954329-87BD-47AC-A8CC-1129E8D19AEA.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Luna76,
    Welcome to the Kombi Club. It seems very original:).
    Yah...another blue one.
    Cheers

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Luna76 to the KC,hope you can get it fixed up so you can drive it to enjoy,wherever it takes you.You been looking for a kombi since Oct but been working like crazy since Jan,when did you purchase bus?:rolleyes: As it didn't take long to find one

4. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Welcome, Duncan! Good luck with the resto! :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Yes I committed the cardinal sin-bought the first bus I saw in person (December)! No regrets though, body seems in pretty good shape, understand the 76 might rust a bit less than some of the other years?

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I did the second cardinal sin ,brought sight unseen.Ended up doing a full resto on a 72 DC ute.

TeeBee likes this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Duncan! :)

Enjoy the ride.............;)

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Duncan to the party that never ends :D ..... enjoy the tinkering and tidying ;)