1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My Rear wheels won't turn

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Winged, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Winged

Winged Active Member

Hi, after parking in the shed problem free the night before my 76 bus wouldn't move the next morning. It's like the wheels are chocked with maybe a mm or 2 of movement. Engine runs fine, noticed no clutch noise and the clutch engages. Handbrake releases at the front, cables become slacker. Can anyone shed some light on my spontaneous immobilisation issue?
    Thanks in advance

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Heavy rain / high moisture content in the air may cause the brake shoes to bind to the rear drums.
    Also happens if there's a weeping wheel cylinder.
    Couple of choices.... both with handbrake off.
    Short,sharp acceleration & drop the clutch.....jolts the shoes & breaks the bond..... or
    Jack the rear up, remove the wheels & smack the drums -hard - with a heavy rubber mallet, working in opposites, ie 12 o'clock, then 6, then 3, then 9 etc.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

StevieVW likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Tassie.
    Frozen solid :)

As Mark said.
    Might be easy or a real.mongrel.

StevieVW likes this.
  4. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

Not wishing to sound flippant but if the bus is on the ground and the rear wheels aren't turning I guarantee the front ones aren't turning either; have you checked with the wheels off the ground?

tom

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Have you done any rear brake work recently?

Missing parts or retaining springs or clips sitting in the bottom of the brake drum will stop you going anywhere if they sit in the right spot, one of my many project bugs had this issue on one wheel, shoe retaining clip and spring in the bottom of drum locked the wheel up in reverse direction only......

6. Winged

Winged Active Member

I jacked the car up today (in neutral and hand brake off) and both rear wheels had only a tiny bit of rock but no roll. The hand brake feels shorter than usual. Remembering last year having this happen and it resolved quickly and i thought it odd that the problem hadn't returned, till now.
    Just tried driving them loose but no luck. Dont have a big rubber mallet but will try taking the wheel off and giving it a belt with the one ive got. No brake work recently, had the car two years without a drum off.

7. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Wet weather will do it quite often as said above.

t4camper likes this.
  8. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I have the same issue whenever my Kombi is parked for any lengthy period.
    With handbrake off I whack it into 1 st gear and gently release clutch, I then whack it into reverse and do the same. The drum brakes release eventually.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

You could try to adjust the shoes.
    1st/reverse as above would be my first option.
    A follow up check removal of the drums may be an idea.

10. StevieVW

I leave the hand brake off and in gear when i park my vehicles in the shed for the week when im in the work vehicle.

I have used a socket extension, 1/2 drive, and a hammer and tapped around the outside of the brake drum through the holes of the stock steel wheels. Gently first then more severe if the problem persists. Careful not to damage your drum....

vassy69SC and Grantus like this.
  11. Alpal

At our place leave the Handbrake ON. It's hilly! Never had a problem.. But it is sunny Melbourne!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Ditto. 11 hours below zero each night can freeze the shoes to the drum. ;)

13. StevieVW

Does your shed have a sloping floor?

14. Alpal

What shed???

15. StevieVW

Y

Your mud brick shed that your going to build next......

16. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Give the backing plates a few controlled whacks with a FBH either a block hammer or small (note small) sledge and try again . the jarring should releade the brake shoes which will have rusted to the drums. (a fairly common problem in very moist climate)
    Note---- No responsibility taken for overexuberant use of he BBH.

ruby6689 likes this.
  17. Alpal

After I finish the adobe abode?

18. StevieVW

Not sure hitting the backing plate would be as effective as bashing on the drum.

Carefull you dont bend the backing plate in so its scraping on the drum if you choose this method.

19. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I called the RACQ out for this problem where I drove in heavy rain then parked in shed with handbrake applied. Rear left wheel so locked, RACQ guy had to remove wheel, apply heat with hair dryer and tap drum to free up. Never use hammer on outer circumference of drum, only on face. I left lots of rubber on the shed floor trying to free the brake using other methods.

StevieVW likes this.
  20. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

It's important to de dust drum brakes at service intervals as the dust can turn into glue in humid or wet environments or mixed with leaking brake fluid.
    Don't blow them off with air though because if they're old shoes they'll be made from asbestos.
    Use water and detergent an dry them
    I've seen where adjusters have dislodged and fallen to a new position when the hand brake is on(which then keeps the shoes on).
    This is caused by excessive shoe to drum clearance (worn down shoes that haven't been adjusted).
    I've not seen it on a kombi though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    StevieVW likes this.