1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with starter motor wiring.

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Shaderdash II, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Shaderdash II

Shaderdash II New Member

Hi all,

I am enjoying the challenges of owning a Kombi and keep coming across new issues to solve. I just want to check on advice received regarding wiring of a starter motor for my 1600 engine. (i have a 72 Kombi). I have had a search through the forums and have not been able to resolve my current issue.

I purchased a new starter motor and it has only one spade connection point not two like the old one with two wires connected. (Terminal 50 and 30?). The advice I received is to join the two wires into one spade and reconnect.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I just want to make sure this strategy is correct.

Thanks

Shaun (Shaderdash II).

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Now that's a good one :rolleyes: 1st thought was are the 2 connectors on the old starter @ the same point ? if so then expect going to same "place". I've seen piggy back style spade (m/f etc) connectors so to keep wires isolated connect them separately via piggy back setup :confused:

something like this -

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Often there are 2 spade connections , one about 12 oclock the other six o'clock, but only one is used.
    The 3 mm ? ign wire comes from ignition switch.
    Just connect to top spade connector and try key.
    Should work.

4. Shaderdash II

Shaderdash II New Member

Thanks cbus will do.

Regards

Shaun

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You may have a hot start relay which is a 'fix' for poor operating starter. Usualy due to worn brushes, bad solenoid, worn bush for starter shaft that is bell housing or faulty ign switch having high resistance.

Sus where the two wires were from.

ie , figure out which wire is directly from ign switch by means of disconnecting it from starter and with multimeter test for about 12v when ign key is switched to ' start' position.
    If you have close to 12v it should operate starter when reconnected to spade on starter solenoid.

If above mentioned wire goes to a small relay and anither wire back to the spade connection on solenoid then you have a hot start relay added.
    Personally I don't mind these as it guarantees a good voltage to solenoid as long as the wiring I'd done well.

If direct wire from ign showed a voltage nearer 11v or is problematic in operating starter then change the ign switch at base if ignition tumbler as it will fail eventually.
    Can be a tricky job but plenty of directions avail on has to do it.

NB
    Pays to check or change the brass bush in bell housing that starter fits into.
    If you have a drill set, select one that matches starter shaft dia and try it and next size up in the belhousing bush to determine wear.

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If you have a 2 terminal solenoid (spade terminal 180 deg on the other side of the solenoid)
    This was designed for vehicles that used ballast resistor ignition (old Holden, Falcon and japs)
    When the starter is energized there is aprox 11 volts available to the pos side of the ignition coil (from this terminal). The coil (through the ballast) normaly runs about 7 volts,
    Helps a quick start and is not active any other time.
    The solenoid is generic and was sometime used to repair Bosch stater motors that didn't use the extra terminal.
    There is an argument that if your going to use an ignition system using points the ballast and ballast bypass system (starter terminal) is a better way to go.
    It is the last iteration of the points system. Holden used a nichrome wire (from the ignition switch) that reduced the voltage for the 7 volt coil. Toyota used a ballast resistor block (that's still available). Both have the advantage of increasing the voltage to the coil as engine speed increases. On off on off at higher engine speed cools the ballast which allows a higher voltage to the coil at higher engine rpm and therefore higher energy spark.

David H, Wayne murray and cbus like this.
  7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If you want an explanation of why the ballast resistors on your injectors of your L Jetronic efi it'll be in the latest fuel injection thread.

8. Shaderdash II

Shaderdash II New Member

Thanks for all the help, its reassuring to know when you have no idea, someone in the Kombiclub will.
    :)

Grantus likes this.
  9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Pictures BB0DAC61-6477-48E8-BD4B-DC7ADD99F743.jpeg B0112D24-CABA-42A4-9955-002A5CEF2F57.jpeg help me, hot start relay

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Hot Start Relay = Another thing to mask the real problem and fail when you are in the deepest poo.

My advice, If you have one replace the ignition switch, get the starter overhauled if necessary, make sure the gearbox earth strap is in good nick and replace the battery earth lead if it is manky then pull the damn thing out.

Adrian

syncro, rstucke and David H like this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It may not happen straight away, but it will happen.

Fix it properly and fix it once.

Mordred likes this.