1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Removing door seal glue

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by becjane, Dec 29, 2015.

1. becjane

becjane Member

Hey guys,

Currently removing all seals and it is no where near as easy as 'The Enthusiast's Restoration Manual' makes it out to be. All my rubbers have disintegrated so pulling them out is tedious. Have a lot of residual rubber and glue that I need to remove. Anyone done this before? What is the best product to use?

Cheers,
    Bec :)

IMG_4048.JPG IMG_4049.JPG

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I use wax n grease remover or 2pac thinners
    don't use GP thinners which is the usual solvent for contact glue, especialy if its repainted with enamel or acrylic lacquer.
    have heard suggestions of wd40.
    turps may be worth a try.
    It likely wont dissolve the glue but may stop it re sticking as you scrape it .
    make a scraper from nylon join strip that's used to join chipboard flooring

if you have original factory paint then GP may be an option but be ready to wipe clean quickly and test on the inner channels first
    you will need to change rags frequently with this method as it dissolves the glue which then spreads. Thus needing further applications to remove.
    scraping with the aid of a gentle solvent generaly tends to loosen the glue without fully dissolving it and doesn't allow it to re stick easily
    still can be messy.

desireable to get all the glue out to ensure new rubbers fit well.
    dry fit first
    and only a light smear of glue and allow to tac first where necessary to hold rubbers

some penetrol in the roof gutter sealant crackswouldn't hurt to slow any rust

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That second photo of the passenger door is a bit weird - why did they glue to the frame instead of the channel where the seal is supposed to sit?

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Using a heat gun will help soften the contact glue.....be careful though, as you'll also soften the paint.
    Col's tip of a firm plastic scraper is a good one....DON'T use a metal scraper, you will end up scratching the paint.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Agree with all above. I had great results with WD40, but that was on original VW rubber cement. Stronger glues used by previous owners will take more to remove.

Also with Melissa on the observation of the glue on the door frame in your pic....WTF? o_O

6. becjane

becjane Member

Thanks guys. WD40 seems to help a little. Scraper and a whole lot of elbow seems the only way to get rid of it. What a painful, tedious, time consuming job

The glue on the door frame ... I ripped off what looked like one side of velcro tape. Perhaps had some sorta detachable flyscreen or something

7. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Try eucalyptis oil

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Ok - that makes sense - I thought they may have glued rubber there as well.
    Don't stress too much about getting every scrap of glue out of the channel - it will be hidden by the new seal anyway.

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I've used dimethyl ketone (aka nail polish remover) to remove stubborn glues where nothing else seemed to work. doG only knows what it does to fingernails.