Help sourcing a brake booster

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by becjane, Jan 9, 2018.

1. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are hard to find and it seems that most reconditioning services are only available to the trade. Well thats what I've found. My T3 ATE was refurbed by IPS in Sydney (you won't find them advertising to the public - trade only) and set me back $350 plus $18 freight - compared to $500US plus freight plus exchange rate. I think Brakes West are in Perth and seem to offer reco services but don't have any further details.

becjane and David H like this.
  2. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

The CIP1 booster is US$261 delivered to Perth, which is around A$330 or around 25% less than the local options apart from the rubbish from Classic Veedub. Each to their own I guess - I bought an ATE booster and master cylinder recently for my 74 from CIP1 and had it shipped here at a total price similar to what I would have paid here for repro quality.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    becjane likes this.
  3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

What does "turning off" mean relative to brakes?

4. becjane

becjane Member

Hey guys!
    I looked into getting mine reconditioned over here in WA. Phoned around a couple of places and was told by one guy 'call up this number, he'll probably have a second hand one for you'. So I dialled the digits and got hold of a second hand brake booster for $100 and it cost $120 to fit. Couldn't be happier! Just came back from a 2 day road trip covering 800km, works a dream :) Although I think the distributor point may need replacing again but thats a different issue :p

David H and Grantus like this.
  5. becjane

becjane Member

Hey Alpal

So my van was literally turning off (engine would completely cut out and I'd have to restart) when I hit the brakes. From my understanding the brake booster works with the vacuum system which the car relies on to keep running. Faulty brake booster - faulty vacuum - car turns off. That's my understanding of it :p

6. Alpal

Surprised that it would stop the engine. Does it do it every time you hit the brakes, even when you are stationary?

becjane likes this.
  7. becjane

becjane Member

Yep stationary or moving when I hit the brakes my car would shut off. Have had the booster replaced and now I’m back on the road :)

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Split in booster diaphragm alters mixture in the 2 cylinders linked to their inlet manifolds when brake pedal depressed. Causes engine to die at idle.
    Usual indication of damaged diaphragm.

If only minor you could raise and richen idle temporarily to overcome the stalling but it SHOULD be fixed ASAP. ;)

becjane and David H like this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great info that I would never have known:(. Thanks cbus:). Would there be any indications as above on an F/I?
    Thanks

becjane likes this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Haven't tried but the air for vac to brakes comes off the plenum in efi so although its past the AFM I don't expect it would be as noticeable as in a carb setup.
    Just a guess.
    Someone will likely know for sure.

becjane likes this.
  11. Alpal

Well thats something I learned today!

becjane likes this.
  12. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Reckon you're right about the lean-out being shared across all 4 cylinders so the effect would be be minor. In my case a dead booster and lean-out was totally offset by the 02 sensor telling the box of wires to up the fuel flow to compensate. All fixed with the reconditioned booster and how nice it is to have bus doing the classic kombi curtsy with just big toe braking (all with rotors at the wear limit, callipers in need of an overhaul, and drums that need replacing with discs).

13. Subdub67

Subdub67 Active Member

Replacing my booster at the moment after checking hoses etc noticed that idle would increase when brake depressed. Removed ATE booster and found broken plastic parts where adjustable shaft threads into booster, not safe! I called Just Kampers and knew a Brazilian booster was $299 but asked for a discount on the original ATE that requires not modifying the mounting plate, was cheeky and asked for a discount, gave me $40 off the original price so $410 in the end delivered, can’t put a price on you and your family’s lives. Jp

becjane likes this.
  14. peter915

peter915 Active Member

The booster from T3 - would it fit the T2?
    There is a few of them lying around