1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her name is Viv

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Michael.H100, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Hey everyone this is my 1990 caravelle c. Picked her up a couple of weeks ago and have been keen to get stuck into it ever since. I have ongoing plans for the car, and I will update this thread as I go along.

1.jpg

2.jpg

polland, cbus, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Nice - can’t quite see, but is it a Caravelle C?

that is what I have

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Looks like it:

upload_2020-4-26_17-39-9.jpeg

4. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Yeah guys it’s a c, badge on the right is very faded. Is there anyway to spruce it up a bit?

5. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

I went to Repco during the week to grab some paint and preparation supplies. What I intended to do was give the Vivian a new paint job on her two front grills. The top grill around the headlights had some weird sun damage. Don't think you can see it properly in the photo, but it didn't look good at all.
    [​IMG]
    Once I started unscrewing it, I also noticed it was missing a couple screws for the lower grill, I think it was only held on by two of the plug type ones.
    [​IMG]
    I started by wet sanding it back with 240 for the rough areas and 360 for a quick once over.It was super tedious sanding all the blades but I got there in the end. After sanding I thoroughly cleaned it with a rag and some wax and grease remover.
    [​IMG]
    Started hitting it with some plastic primer, started with a very light coating, then two more fairly light coats,
    I didn't want any runs.
    [​IMG]
    Went into the next stage which was adding colour, applied 3 even coats trying not to miss any spots on the blades. Came out good, if I was to do it again, I think I would try and hang the grill up, as it was kind of tricky to hold the can of paint vertical the whole time.
    [​IMG]
    Once it dried I sat the pieces in the back of the Viv, to leave overnight so I didn't scratch any paint whilst installing, I also wanted to give her a wash so decided it was best to not be too eager and just wait till the next day to install.
    [​IMG]
    Once I got home, I installed them back on and called it a day. I think it came out alright, definitely good to spend some time working on the van, got plenty more to do! cheers!
    [​IMG]

Jethro, rstucke, KahunaKombi and 9 others like this.
  6. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Looks great now. That sun damage around the headlight area would have been double sided tape residue from the original factory headlight protectors alas they are no longer available.

7. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Yeah mate looks the goods, just looked back and have seen the photobucket watermark, is there any free image hosting websites that don’t have the watermark?

8. Grantus

You can just reduce the image size to less than 1mb, and upload it directly to your posts here.... ;)

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work on the grill and badge :)

Re photo hosting .... as per Grant's post. If you look at the lower right corner there are 3 icons with the middle one "Upload a File" which lets you choose the picture from your computer and then select Full image then Post Reply ;)

10. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Thanks Big kahuna. I know that’s how to add the photo but it was saying file was too large, so I will have to do some resizing on my computer before posting, cheers for the reply

11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I save pics to my PC then resize then post on KC

12. Grantus

If you are using Mac’s, IPhoto now has a size selection choice, when you choose the photo to attach.

13. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Hey guys, I have a question about my steering wheel. I’m looking at getting a new one, the van has power steering, but it didn’t originally. Is there any difference in size where the steering wheel bolts to the column? Or is it just the diameter of the wheel itself that is different between models. Cheers!

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Michael.H100 and Syncro27 like this.
  15. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Hey guys, I've just got a rough quote on fixing the leak in the heads on my van, which basically involves rebuilding from the pistons up, and a few other bits and pieces, it turned out to be a bit more than I expected. I'm currently exploring my options, at this point my two options are ej swap or rebuild the original wboxer. If there's any other options I'm missing, please let me know. Cheers

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Engine options basically as you stated - see if you can get a 2nd quote for the WBX rebuild as prices can vary

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

18. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

You could also look for a second hand spare motor floating around.

There was one in Victoria not long ago and Jess from South Oz was selling one I think.

19. Grantus

Jess’ one, for the price, is an excellent “get me out of trouble and back running now” type 2nd hand motor.

The motor was the least of the problems, when that bus lived here.

Even the issues he honestly describes, is something that may, or may not need addressing in 20k, or 100k.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/t3-wbx-engine-and-others-bits.59365/

20. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Thanks for the info guys, going to get a second quote and see how I go with the current engine, it still runs pretty good for now, so I’m going to change my focus to the interior fit out for the moment.

If anyone has a recommendation for a mechanic in Sydney that does Subaru swaps, that can give me a quote so I can decide what I want to do with the van that would be great cheers