1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her name is Viv

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Michael.H100, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

How many klm's are on your motor. If the end play is good and it has less than 300k klms on it then a top end rebuild will be much cheaper than a subi swap and you will get a lot of klms out of your motor.
    It will be quite reasonable if your heads are ok. Just need to replace rings, water pump, oil cooler probably engine mounts and a gasket kit set plus rubber hoses. Take it yo Andy Ho for an evaluation 0488 377 580

oldman and Grantus like this.
  2. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Odometer has stopped working but it’s over 400k not sure if original engine but I’m assuming it is, the gearbox isn’t original. I think there’s a bit of work to do on the exhaust too. I’m going to call Andy tomorrow, cheers. I know the subi swap will be expensive, just trying to find out exactly how much

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Andy dosnt do subi conversions

4. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

That’s fine I haven’t fully decided which route I want to take, gonna give him a call still thanks

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

If you want a cheap Subie conversion - there is a bloke in Victoria that does them drive in and out for about $6.5k - Luke I believe his name is.

That will give you reliable cheap motoring with OBD2 to find out any issues.

njg02 likes this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Bus looks awesome, I just use the "snipping tool" on the PC and paste it in, seems to work fine,
    Cheers

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I have some pretty good heads and pistons if it's an option and Phil has nothing closer.
    Can send photos .

8. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Hey cbus I’ve already acquired some amc heads, not sure what I’m doing with engine yet, savings funds for now.

cbus likes this.
  9. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

My brake lights weren’t working last night. So I got new globes, checked fuse and got them sorted. I cleaned some corrosion off the brake switches under the dash and once I tested everything again the blinkers were running quick, the fuse and allglobes are working, does this mean the relay is shot and needs replacing or is there another simpler cause? I’m unsure because they were working normal before I was working on the van now they’re going crazy, thanks in advance

10. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

There is also a random cable sitting behind the fuse box not sure if this is causing problem

F2482AFD-4067-42EE-AD85-069175DAEE7C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Relay flashing fast means one of the indicator globes not working.
    Might?? be the loose wire.
    Check which bulb is not working.
    See if you can pick indicator fuse.
    Have a look if the site has come of one of the tabs on fusebox. ie clean metal where it was connected.
    Or another wire connector same colour spare and hanging nearby.

Dislodging a connection while playing under there is most likely.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    oldman likes this.
  12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Have a look in your front indicators for filling with water - a common issue which shorts out globes and makes them flash fast - one of your symptoms.

After you have gone through all Col's checks above.

13. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Rear r/side tail light (brake and blinker) are a decent amount dimmer. All four corners are blinking.
    Turn signal fuse all good, replaced for sake of it.

No clean metal on tabs of back of fuse box.

There is a connected cable with the same yellow plug connection, but there is no extra one for cable that I pictured above.

Removed the front indicators to check for water in there, they are dry. The lenses are cracked but not too badly beat up.

Would there be any other causes? Cheers for the quick replies

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Check all your earth connections.
    ie pull terminals off, clean, reconnect. Poor earth connection is the cause of many electrical issues......
    And don’t forget earth strap from battery to body.....particularly if it has been painted in.
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Battery earth strap is all good. Will clean the earth terminals tomorrow, run out of light. Thanks for the help, will let you know how it goes. If there are any other things it could be let me know cheers!

oldman likes this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Are the tail and blinker activating same time.
    Could be a bad earth on that side.
    Clean all terminals that unit.
    Especially any earth to body.
    I Will have to look at one to check what but earth should be brown.?

17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Also worth checking to see that the globes are, in fact, indicator globes and not stop and tail light globes.....
    Should be single filament.
    Had this issue in my son’s lowy when we first got it.....
    Proper globes, good clean earth and current feed and solid fuse are starting points to check.
    Cheers,
    Mark

18. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

The culprit for the quick turn signals was the globes! I swapped out the new with the old and they blinked at normal speed. Not sure why they weren’t working, the globes look the same to me, the packet also says stop/indicator globe. Oh well problem solved thanks everyone for your help appreciate it!

oldman and cbus like this.
  19. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Ok now the turn signal fuse is blowing, the left indicator is clicking fast and then when I indicate right it blows happened twice now

I swapped out the right globe, it now indicates as normal, left still blinking crazy, cheers.

Edit: fixed, was the front left globe. Is this what owning a t3 is like? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Syncro27 likes this.
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Not really.

But it’s what its like, owning a T3 that needs sorting from previous owners that have used, abused, neglected and not maintained them.

Once you get them sorted, it’s nice to then just enjoy the ride. ;)

prone, Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.