1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her name is Viv

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Michael.H100, Apr 26, 2020.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Constant Tension SPRINGBAND Hose Clamps or just Springband or Constant Tension.
    Place to look https://www.autopartswholesalers.co...aclamp-fbs-constant-tension-springband-clamps
    Expect evilbay would also have some ..... once you know the name they go by as above.
    There is also a tool that makes compression to expand for fitment easier available ;)

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. KahunaKombi

4. KahunaKombi

5. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

So I worked on the pipes, and put it all back together, there was a bit of the plastic pipe broken off and lodged in one of the rubber pipes so I took that out, slid them back over the flanges. Bled the system, and woke up this morning to the same puddle under the front.....:mad: did I not tighten the clamps enough? How far are the metal inserts supposed to be in the plastic tubes? Do I add a second clamp? Pls help.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you look at my pic you will see there is a gap between the end of the plastic pipe and the ridge of the steel insert.

This is where the clamp is “supposed” to go

My guess is it is leaking between the steel and plastic - so it is not clamped where it is leaking.

You could “try” and put a second clamp 3mm back from the end of the rubber on the plastic

This issue is that “normally” you clamp on the steel pipe that is bonded and sealed to the plastic. mid it is leaking then the “bond” is not strong and it can let go and you are clamped to the steel and not the plastic.
    and you can’t clamp to the plastic as it can just slide off.

hope this makes sense

Michael.H100 likes this.
  7. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Makes sense, the clamps I put on seem like they’re where you’re suggesting is the right spot, will slip another clamp on, and see what happens, cheers.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

The metal insert needs to be all the way in the plastic pipe. Did you put a pop rivet on as I suggested. If you clamp only to the plastic the when it heats up you risk crushing the pipe, that is what the steel insert is meant to stop. If you cant tap the metal pipe all the way in then trim the excess rusted metal off & heat the pipe up before tapping the pipe in. I strongly suggest you use the pop rivet but dint put it too far back from the end as the rubber hose needs to cover it and dont clamp on top of the rivet.

Michael.H100 and Syncro27 like this.
  9. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

So the ridge of the steel insert is supposed to be hard up to the edge of the plastic pipe? Then hose clamp over all 3 materials on the plastic pipe side of the flanged section? I didn’t install a rivot, but I will this time around. Like so? Excuse the drawing.

Also, if this process doesn’t work and it still leaks from the same spot, what’s the next step?

Attached Files:

Luckyphil likes this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

11. Luckyphil

Yes hard up against the plastic, pic is correct, the rivet dosnt need to be too large just needed to stop the metal pipe migrating out again

12. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Yea just a 1/8 stainless rivot should do the job then.

When I last did the work, the van was on all 4 wheels, very tight fit. I clamped the rubber pipes and lost a lot of coolant last time, mainly from the rear. If I raise the front of the van onto jack stands will this stop the coolant coming from the rear? Is there a spot at the front of the van where I can jack from or should I work from one side first then the next side, and where is the safest spot to put the stands?

Hopefully won’t have to resort to the stainless pipes, if this doesn’t work might have to go down that road.

13. Luckyphil

Only way to reduce coolant loss is lots of clamps, I use the plastic lobster claw type

14. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

No worries, thanks guys. Will update on how I go

Barry likes this.
  15. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Are the plastic pipes definitely able to be clamped without them breaking?

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Phil is talking about clamping the rubber connection pieces at either end I’m guessing

Michael.H100 likes this.
  17. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Of course cheers

18. Luckyphil

the steel insert is there so you CAN clamp it, if its gone then the pipe is useless because it softens when heated up by the coolant so only clamp on the part of the plastic pipe that has the metal tube in it

19. Luckyphil

No the clamping I was talking about there was on the rubber hoses to reduce coolant loss while fixing the end of the plastic hoses

20. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

So I got the front pipes connected, but when I was pulling one of the pipes towards the front to connect to the rubber pipe from rad, and the pipe slipped out of the rear. I’ve connected the front but now I’m afraid I might not have enough length to re connect to the rear, it seems the insert has moved out of the plastic even more than the front had. I’m hoping I can somehow stretch it and make it fit

BAF1BFEE-E59A-4478-B121-0D2B756BE146.jpeg

Attached Files: