1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her name is Viv

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Michael.H100, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

The front 2 look great however you need to get that metal insert tapped in as far as possible. That hose dosnt look like the correct hose and would explain why its too short

2. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

That rubber hose is a t piece with something going up above it. It says German on it, are you sure it’s not the right piece?

Not sure what to do, going to try and stretch it. Might not be able to fix this today, hopefully I can but we’ll see

3. Luckyphil

OK so your van is an Auto Trans. That explains the bulge and it is the correct hose, I was thinking manual trans. This means that something at the other end isnt correct then as you need to get that pipe further back towards the hose or get the hose closer to the pipe. Pretty sure the hose wont stretch. Another cause of the plastic being too short is that some of it is now missing. I have a plastic coolant pipe if you get stuck. Not new but seems complete.

4. Luckyphil

Looking at the other end of the pipe it looks like the plastic pipe is pretty much all there so bang the metal pipe in as far as it will go and clamp the hose on after installing the pop rivet as per the other end. make sure you have the radiator hoses connected to the correct plastic pipe

5. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

I did feel in the rubber part and there was a bit of pipe lodged in the rubber hose, around 5-8mm. Tomorrow I’m going to undo the clamp at the front and see how far back I can wiggle the plastic pipe to the rear to get a good connection. Then hopefully I have enough plastic pipe to get me through.

fingers crossed, going to have a beer now thanks o_O

6. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Got it all sorted, it was super fiddly trying to get it connected but got there in the end :) Fingers crossed no more issues with this for a while...

Whilst I was waiting for the system to bleed I took the time to install some new gas struts on the rear, one too many head knocks
    Before;
    61B3493A-558B-49D2-A354-A6C62246D4CF.jpeg After 1B5B37E7-F24D-45FB-A9FE-3F32979BB6CA.jpeg
    Much better!

Jethro and Syncro27 like this.
  7. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Next thing on my agenda with the van is a bit of body work/rust removal etc. In the distant future I will be getting a respray but for now I just want to prevent rust from spreading and to protect the body. Has anyone in Sydney had much luck with colour matching their van with spray paint cans? Cheers!

8. Luckyphil

Good to hear its sorted

9. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

If it's a standard colour, you should be able to get it made up in a spray can from the link below, a couple of years ago I got the 1976 "bronco brown" colour made up for mine from the factory colour code.

Look at this on eBay
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171817651697

Michael.H100 likes this.
  10. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Sweet I might get a couple cans and test them out thanks!

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I used rattle cans when I pulled the weather strip lip of the front and rear of my 1303 beetle.

came up more than acceptable in my opinion.
    There is a thread on AVD I can dig up if you want.

I got them from an auto paint shop on Queens Rd Five Dock

Michael.H100 likes this.
  12. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Yeah Barry if you don’t mind? Also do you happen to remember the name of the paint shop you went to?

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Michael.H100 likes this.
  14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Bloody photo bucket water marks

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It’s a good reminder to us all, NEVER to use photobucket ever again.

Once bitten, twice shy. ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Michael.H100, oldman and Syncro27 like this.
  16. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

Nice Bug! The colour match is pretty good too? I was thinking when I do my repairs, to hit the rust with a wire wheel and then some rust inhibitor. Then for paint was thinking a etch primer and then probably 2-3 coats of colour? Would you recommend to use a clear coat as well?

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I didn’t use any clear

Michael.H100 likes this.
  18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

was my baby and company car for 10 years

Michael.H100 likes this.
  19. Michael.H100

Michael.H100 Member

No clear, no worries! Great work car, not sure it would suit me as a carpenter but definitely jealous. Would love to drive my van as a daily! Definitely not reliable enough though o_O

20. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

Colour match will depend upon fade. I got a rattle can mixed from the code by autobarn. On one (previously not repainted) panel the blue looks to match perfectly, on another (previously not repainted) the new paint is obviously lighter. Nonetheless, the colour difference is less noticeable than some panels that have been “professionally” repaired / repainted in the past, which are darker. Suggests the rattle can mix was too light.

Michael.H100 likes this.