1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from a Newbie

Discussion in 'New Members' started by peace_fam, Dec 27, 2010.

1. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Hi all! I just bought an 82 T3 Trakka converted Kombi, 2l air cooled. We are really excited to be entering the world of Kombis.

Our babys body and interior is in quite good nick, though the engine needs a bit of love. Luckily my partner has had volkwswagens and Audis and is a bit of a car nut! Seem that the head may need a little work-she's only running on three cylinders.

We're really looking forward to getting her running sweetly and getting out there. After meeting heaps of great people at DOVW at Yarra Glen, i'm really keen to get out there and meet other Kombi enthusiasts. Seems addictive.

Hi to all!

2. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

3. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Thanks for the welcome and the link! Wow - invaluable. We are planning to take our T3 on a lap of this great country, so the link is very appreciated.

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Heheheh.....slowly, slowly - bit by bit! ;)

Welcome to KombiClub!

Of course, we are going to need pictures, as soon as you're ready....:)

6. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Great to hear and see pics from your trip KombiDad. We are also looking at towing a camper trailer or pop top as we have 2 adults and 2 teens and it gives us more sleeping options too. My partner is looking at making the engine more powerful (i'm not mechanically minded so i don't know what he's doing). We're looking at towing up to 1T but preferably 750kg. Will leave the trailer behind for Cape York. Also looking at putting a lockable diff on the T3. Did you do any mods to your T3? What was good/bad about the Kombi? What kind of internal and external improvements would you suggest?

Ours has a full length Trakka pop top with a bed up top. It has a 70l aluminum water tank with water level indicator, dual batteries with auxiliary isolated, 2 burner gas cooker and grill on removable drop on swing hinge at door. Westfalia wind out windows in door and above sink - i noticed yours had 1 too. We were told these are great in warmer climates. Also have an awning which we'll upgrade.

The trailer will have another QS bed, kitchen, outside cooker, awning, 60l water tank and storage. We'll also take a 2 man tent.

We're looking at changing the wheels from the existing 15" alloys to 16" off road. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks heaps

7. Kombi Dad

I ran a Lockrite locking diff for the trip and it proved an excellent add on. I am not sure whether they are available any more. At present the locker is not fitted as I prepare for even further mods. 2011 will see the camper fitted with a 2l diesel an matching gearbox. I will run either a locking or limited slip diff in that box.

I ran Cooper 225 tyres on Sunraysia 6X14" rims for the trip. It was a wise choice. Since then Cooper have ceased production of the 14" tyres. I have now gone to standard rims with 195X14 Maxxis MT753 tyres. For what I do they have proven to be excellent though can be a little noisy on tar.

I added a Fiamma roll out awning and made walls to give an annex.

I removed the fridge and stove as we normally cook on open fires. I carry two butane stoves in the trailer in case we can't have an open fire. We use a Waeco fridge in the van. It gives us much more space for the same capacity as the original fridge.

I removed the sink as it could only really be used if the bed was not made. We wash up outside in a basin. Where the sink was is now very usable cupboard space.

I added two jerry can holders to the rear of the vehicle though one has now become a spare tyre carrier. Some places where we went needed just a little more fuel than the range of the standard tank. Once I am diesel powered the range will be twice as far as the original petrol powered vehicle.

I carried a generator in the trailer but since the trip have gone to solar power and now do not carry the gennie. I have stayed with portable panels as I can shift them to get best value from the sun to charge the second battery which is an AGM battery. I found the AGM better for the purpose though was more expensive initially.

I raised the vehicle to the height of a Syncro. To do this I used Syncro rear springs and Falcon springs on the front. Shocks were changed to suite.

I changed the regulator on the alternator to an external one to ensure 14.1V on the starter battery. This then ensured the Redarc isolator would trip and charge the second battery when we were on the move.

I did fit a 5W portable UHF CB which would charge from the vehicle when traveling. Could also use it in the bush when needed.

Only bad thing was the trailer, not the concept but the manufacture. Since the Kimberley trip I have changed most and now it is excellent. The trailer is fitted with a cupboard and shelving.

That's about it. The vehicle proved to be excellent for the trip and for those we have done since then. Please feel free to PM me if you need any further advice/comment.

Ian

8. Kombi Dad

One further thing I added was an oil temp guage. I didn't bother with external oil coolers or such as I believe that if the engine and all tin wear are in place and serviceable then you wont have issues. This proved very true as the engine did not miss a beat in 40C heat in the Kimberleys.

I did replace the points with an EMPI replacement set just before we left. This failed about 7,500 kms in to the trip. I ran the rest of the trip on standard points. Maybe there is a motto in there somewhere. Since the trip I have been able to get a genuine VW electronic ignition as fitted in Europe in the early eighties. Mine is now fitted with that and runs very well.

Ian

9. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Pics of our baby coming

Attached Files: