High amp alternator.

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Jeff maddalena, Jan 10, 2017.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That would be a bonus.

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind trying that. Any chance of a part number?

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Vw heritage list 70amp alternators for type 4 engines. Explicitly states that it is replacement only for busses already fitted with 70amp units. The cooling requirements apparently greater, fan pulley required and ducting for cooling different. Fan pulley difficult to source. There must be some cooling concerns?

4. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Will dig around, I've got a new stator here somewhere. All my buses have the 75A upgrade.

Vanessa's bus is getting the "70A" alternator as per what Paul77 mentioned above... Only difference is that alternator(Only on 2.0 Westfalia buses with factory petrol heater) is upgradeable to 120A. I have a fresh 120A alternator ready to go. The boot is different(round port instead of 'd' shaped port), the wiring loom is a bit different(Plugs and battery wires, more like Mk1 golf/Passat loom) and the pulley has a fan welded to it. :D

5. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

No cooling concerns, just needed the fan on the outside as well as round rear air port.

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew, Did you ever manage to find the part number for that 75 amp stator?

Cheers