1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Beams won't stay on...

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Quincy1874, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

Gday all,

75 kombi, low beam works, but hi-beam doesn't stay on when I flick up...? Holding the stalk in the up position keeps Hi on, but won't stay on once released.

Any tips? Faulty relay perhaps?

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Holding up for flashing Hi beam. Click down for Hi beam on???

3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

If high beam comes on but doesn't stay on when stalk pulled, my bet is dodgy relay.

have a spare available for testing purposes?
    My 69 beetle had an intermittent fault like this. Sometimes rely wouldn't change from high to low or visa versa.....

4. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Sounds like the head lamp relay has died. Looks like there are aftermarket pieces available if your original one can't be cleaned up.

5. mu oldmans lowlight, had similar issue, the ignition key wasn't fully returning to the "Run" position, had to hold the highbeam lever on to get lights, worked out we had to manually make sure the key came back to the right position, and all was good. just another thought.

6. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

Thanks guys. Sorted the problem. Relay was dodgy. Took a while to figure out, as it was a new relay 12 months ago..... inside the switch, main lever was out by a bee's pube, so wasn't engaging Hi switch. Gave it a gentle "nudge", all is well now!!

Thanks for the comments... See you all in another 2 years!

StevieVW likes this.