1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Roof added on a 1984 VW T3 - Nightmare to register

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Hi all,
    We have bought a CamperVan T3 a month ago from Tasmania and we are now trying to register in Victoria. There is a high roof added by a previous owner (No certification or details provided of course), and we are struggling to find a VASS engineer capable enough to validate the modification.

Do you have any tips where I can find one kind enough to do that? It seems that the one I contacted yesterday started to say, that I need to cut the roof to inspect it and complained that it was an old car and it will be difficult. Obviously, not really helpful :(

Thanks for your help,
    Seb.

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Seb! :)

Rough start, to T3 ownership though……..

Was it registered and roadworthy in Tassie at the time you bought it?

As Barry suggested, a few more details and post up a few pics would help.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Didn't you tell them that is how it came from the factory?;)

Why were you taking it to an engineer?

5. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Here are some pictures IMG_0225.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

The previous owner cut a hole between the 2 strength bars in the middle like in this other van; IMG_2297 (1).jpg

7. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Then weld the new high top roof on the van.
    I just called an VASS engineer before even going to VicRoads which requires to inspect the van prior registration.
    I am not sure, but for getting a RWC, do you need a VASS engineer to approve this. Furthermore, in TAS, the previous owner didn't have to certify it as it seems not necessary in that state. The van is still registered until mid-august in Tassie at the moment. Hence why, I was sold it without certificate.
    I may be totally confused with the process though and maybe a VASS engineering certification might not be necessary. I have no idea... It's all very complicated.

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC.....
    Unfortunately, this is going to be a bugger of a process for you.
    VW did not release any camper conversions, hi-top or otherwise.
    They are all classified as modified vehicles and as such, need to be certified - usually by the modifier - before it can be first registered.
    Bringing a modified vehicle from interstate usually requires an RMS (in NSW) compliance inspection....including any/all modifications.
    I imagine Victoria would be the same.
    This is the stage where you're at now.
    Best be honest with the Inspector you are dealing with and he may be lenient and pass it as is, considering it has already been registered albeit in Tasmania.
    Worst case scenario - you'll have to have the roof cutout strengthened to meet current ADR standards.
    Not going to be cheap.
    Get advice from VicRoads before going anywhere else, you may not need an Engineer's report.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Might be cheaper to relocate to Tassie mate, welcome to KC by the way.
    I’m sure you will get it sorted out

10. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Have you attempted to get a Roadworthy Certificate in Vic yet?
    Do you have proof of previous registration in Tasmania?
    My first step would be to go to a reputable RWC tester with documents proving the Tasmanian registration if you have not already done so.
    PR

11. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Examples of vehicle modifications that will require an Approval Certificate
    A VASS approval certificate is required for modified vehicles if the modification is structural or affecting compliance with the standards for registration.
    Refer to the VSI-8 Modification Guide within Vehicle Standards Information Sheets for detailed information.
    Examples of modifications for which a approval certificate will be required include:
    • conversions of motor vehicles to motor homes
    Definitions of vehicles that may require a VASS Certificate

Motorhome (or Campervan)
    A motor vehicle manufactured or modified to be used as living quarters and must contain specified equipment for accommodation, sleeping, cooking and storage.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg...vehicles to,model by the vehicle manufacturer

PR

12. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Nope, I just had the opinion of the person who does RWC but not specifically for motorhome. And yes, my van is still registered in Tassie until mid-august 2021 with all the papers.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am guessing you mean VW Australia?

Hightops and campers have nearly always been an option.

From the photos it looks like this is a home made job unfortunately.

One thing is that if it was a factory high top it would not be written anywhere as it would not be a modified vehicle. Maybe take the Vicroads inspector a Kombi sales brochure.

oldman likes this.
  14. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

You are right, this is totally custom made

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Unless you can bs your way through you really could have problems with that.

16. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Bribing?? :) I think the strategy here is to inspire compassion to the authority. After all, you just want to experience a few nice trip during weekends and holidays across Australia during difficult times experienced in COVID period.
    And when you buy a vehicle which had been registered in another state, you would expect it would be no difficulty to register in another state. We are in the same country.
    But I was naive to believe so, this is all very disappointing and you feel abused by the system and a bit like an idiot. What can I do? This is the way it is.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'd be trying first by acting dumb. Just turn up at the inspectors and say nothing. They say something about the roof you just say it must have come from the factory like that then show him a VW sales brochure with a picture of a hi top T3.

It probably was never legally registered in Tasmania.

oldman likes this.
  18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Has it cut any of the strengthening bars or is it between them?

You can put a sun roof in without engineering (well - in NSW you can)

The Reimo roof unit can go in without engineering (I believe).

If it has cut a roof support then it will need engineering

I would also loose the fitout before the next visit so it isn’t a “motor home” - just a high top van

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    hairyman likes this.
  19. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

He cut right in the space between the 2 strenghtening bars to keep its integrity. So you have only one hole in the middle.

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It looks a whole lot stronger that some of the “professional” camper conversions done in the 80’s, where 90% of the roof and structure were removed before installing a pop top.

Syncro27 likes this.