1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Roof added on a 1984 VW T3 - Nightmare to register

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Federal states, we love it!

2. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

But you can also modify any vehicle after the rego anyway. As a buyer, we just need to be careful I suppose, not like me who bought an already modified vehicle without being once certified.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

A good example of different state regulations is the Queensland blue plate for modified vehicles. It means nothing in any other state. A good example is beach buggies. They are legal in QLD but you can never get them registered in NSW.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Modify at your own risk. May be illegal and may be a problem when selling.

Wiz and oldman like this.
  5. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

If you modify after registration make sure you are never in an accident and stay away from vehicles with magenta flashing lights.
    Recent serious accident in Western Victoria involving Landcruiser with modified bullbar - driver charged.
    I replaced the bullbar on the Troop Carrier because PO had used angle grinder to cut a hole for the winch.
    PR

6. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

O
    Oh I agree, but how many ppl make some modifications without engineering certification? I am sure there are a few.

Barry likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In NSW a lot of modifications are permitted without an engineering inspection. eg. wheels, approved towbars, bullbars, engine upgrades etc.

oldman likes this.
  8. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

All good, my van is officially registered with VicRoads.
    The inspection was straightforward. I was expecting thorough examination but she just looked quickly at the expensive VASS engineering and the RWC certs. Checked the VIN number, if the campervan had cooking stove, a fridge and a bed.

For the cooking stove, I didn't install anything LPG thingy, just put my old butane gas mate cooker and screwed it on the bench - Then no need of gas cert since you can theorically remove it. Better, not to involve LPG installation before RWC anyway, you can do it later if needed once all registered, makes things simpler and less stressful.
    I put some sticky tapes on this butane stove to hide the WARNING message engraved on it; "DON'T USE IT INSIDE" :)

NOTE: Since the fridge is a 3-way system, the old installation included a LPG Gas bottle and a copper pipe with regulators. The VASS Engineer told me to remove the pipe and regulators before the RWC to consider there is no need for a Gas cert.

It's also a 2-persons van, so I made the bed, and flatten the back seats to avoid any questioning around seats need seatbelts... I also unscrewed the back seats seatbelts in case they wanted to see more.
    And I cleaned it the day before, you could see yourself in the wheels!

Well, I am French, so I was not aware of the Stamp Duty for registering vehicle, wth??? And I think I didn't remember last time I bought my first and single car, because the car was cheap. The first question she asked me was the purchase price of it and I naively answered the truth, I didn't know what it entailed but regretted as soon as I said it though. She didn't even ask for a proof of purchase. I bought it 12K; in VIC, the stamp duty is 8.40 AUD per 200 AUD purchase value, that for a second hand car. So I ended up with a 504 AUD stamp duty. They really tax everything here. I think it's 3 AUD per 100 AUD in NSW, not sure.

Then, I checked if you would need to pay for stamp duty with Club Permit, and the answer is no! Double punishment. But at the same time, the clubs are closed due to COVID lockdowns, and I couldn't wait more due to the validity of my certs and I wanted to get it done.

Nevertheless, I can do Club Permit later if I want, no VASS cert required just RoadWorthy Cert.

Because of the conversion of the Van into a campervan validated by the VASS engineer, I was expecting to pay less for the rego; not the case. Same price than a regular car.

Well, I think I did all the mistakes you can make and fell beautifully in any traps that you can imagine! Cheers to that :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now you just need a few lockdown restrictions to be eased……….. so you can enjoy the ride. ;)

10. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I wish I'd live in NSW, the Premier looks much more civilised than ours. But let's not get there! :)

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

At least you can go an sit in your van and go "dak dak dak" while you sip on a drink

Well done mate - you can start laughing about it now

oldman likes this.
  12. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

G
    Haha! Give me 2 months first!

Barry likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

That's 1/2 our problem she wants us to be to civilised to much and the virus has spread,o_O. We need our premier to do as Victoria premier did and trip down the stars.:eek::rolleyes: She may wake up and realised what's going on. ;)

14. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Aye, that sucks. It surprised me when I first bought a car in Australia! On the plus side, you are saving a bit by registering in Victoria. When I moved from Vic to NSW my 2 seater camper became classed as a commercial vehicle so my CPT nearly doubled (despite being the same metal box on wheels as a Caravelle o_O:()...

Also, RMS are possibly the most annoying government agency to have to deal with. It's impossible to get to talk to someone who can make decisions. A 30 minute registration problem in Vic became a three week saga here (typo on the computer plate).

Anyway, well done on getting registered and thanks for sharing your experiences for others who get in the same situation :)

syncro likes this.
  15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They employ special people,

16. Jamo04

Jamo04 New Member

Thanks for info
    I’m Melbourne based
    Sounds pretty damn scary
    Cheers

17. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Welcome Jamo04. Not really scary, I just didn’t know the right ppl and I am not in the trades. Just don’t hesitate to drive 1h or more to see the right ppl and you will be fine. If you need some contacts, just DM me,
    Cheers, Seb

Grantus, oldman, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.....and that is what Kombi Club is all about.
    People helping people.
    Nice one Sebas. ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.
  19. Tom P

Tom P New Member

I've just started on my VASS / Nanny State adventure last week in getting my van approved - UK import into Geelong.

After spending lots of time chasing up advice to prepare for the inspection - reading Seb's experience is interesting.

My report failed on some interesting points that I thought I'd share.

Rock and Roll Bed - they want serial numbers to certify child anchors can we used. = We will remove rear seat belts and register as 2 seater. The after the cert reinstall and live with the risk. (We would never be able to register as a oz standard seat so why try)

Electrical Cert for the 240v - Going to ask a second opinion on this one - assuming I just need an auto electrician to cert?

Roof conversion - they want evidence of it. Its a Sopru so giving them the info found online.

Steering wheel centre is metallic = Will duct tape for the assessment

Tyre Placard needed - Not sure what this is

Head rests are not fixed to seat and can be pulled out - Tricky one as they are standard 1978 ones. Will have to fix them.

Remove side curtains from front in case they obscure the view.

Fire extinguisher needed - easy to install.

As a sanity check - is the above a good plan of action or should I look at maybe changing the import type from used vehicle to personal import? The Vass engineer hinted that could be better but didn't really expand on it's advantages.

Thanks

Tom

20. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

For the roof, my VASS engineer just certified it after examination and there was no discussion from VicRoads.
    Rock&Roll Bed; yup just give up. It's expensive to make it certified anyway as it would require some changes. My VASS engineer just told me to remove the seat belts, and leave the bed done before inspection. Which I did and no questions asked.
    Eletrical Cert; My electrician (Whatever electricians is keen to help you because some are a bit funny to do on a van), redid the full electrical wiring and fuse/breaker box and the power outlets. it costs me 550 AUD total, cert included.
    Tyre Placard: This is the metal plaque on your left seat behind the door to show you how much pressure for your tyres. You have one on any cars. That's interesting it's missing, apparently it was mandatory in australia since 1973 (I googled, I didn't know, lol)
    Head rests; I can pull them out as well, odd.

No idea for the import question...