1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Roof added on a 1984 VW T3 - Nightmare to register

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

There was a time when Qld allowed a wheel 25mm wider than original fitment and all other states and territories allowed 26mm wider.
    As wheels are manufactured to imperial measurements a 1" (25.4mm) wider wheel was legal in all states except Qld.
    PR

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Which didn't matter because Qld takes years ( if at all ) to enforce such laws. :)

Wiz likes this.
  3. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

A couple of kerb strikes while parking and you'd be legal in Qld.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

No you would be better asking the NSW authority if it is valid. The VicRoads engineer would only know about VicRoads regulations. ADR standards are only guidelines. Each state has it's own rules. That is why over the years each state only adopted some of the standards. In '76 NSW had different engines to Victoria and Queensland. The Chery was not sold in Victoria, but could be bought in NSW.

Try to register a Qld beach buggy with a mod plate in NSW and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Wiz likes this.
  5. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I vote for the rant, I am with you Grantus! :)

6. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

You surely right anyway, and the cert is only valid for a month. I think she meant that the cert is registered on the national database and can be viewed by the next engineer, in the same state or other state, which will enlist what had been already approved. If not valid in the future, at least, it will ease up the process and reassure the next inspector from Vic or NSW or any other states. That's a big plus.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I bought a Doka from Victoria with an inspection certificate. They didn't notice that the centre seatbelt was missing.

8. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Bah, from the moment they do notice there is a steering wheel, that's all good!

oldman and syncro like this.
  9. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Funnily enough there were plenty on the road in Vic and one currently on carsales with Vic plates.
    I presume that used were not subject to the ban or it only applied to some models?

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's correct. I think it was because they didn't stability control.???

11. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

The story never ends! Roadworthy inspector gave me a long list of mechanic stuff to change (see full list attached in image)
    It's like CV Shaft Boot, Seals, shocker, gearbox mount, sway bar link bush, brake rotor, tie rod, blinker cover, brake pedal pad

I would need some parts fast from Australia (Preferrably in Melbourne, if not, all good); I have already found those guys through this forum;
    https://www.justkampers.com.au/
    https://www.uniqueautoparts.com.au/vw/transporter-caravelle-mk-iii-bus?p=1
    https://www.tooleyimports.com.au/
    https://www.mickmotors.com.au/
    http://www.vintageveedub.com.au/spare.html

I know there is VW Heritage but that's from the UK, so it's gonna take too long. The VASS cert will be expired in 3 weeks and the Vicroads inspector told me if nothing is done by Friday 16/07, I will have to pay again a new inspection feed (250 AUD) for rWC.

Thanks a lot!

PS: I gave up on the gas cert, it's impossible to find one helpful so I just disconnected my gas line, approved by the engineer. It was only used by the 3-way fridge, I will then go full electrical with a new solar and new battery. But that's another topic :)
    PS2: I also contacted http://www.vwclub.com.au/ and they are awesome. They are friendly, and I will also do a Club Permit with them.

Attached Files:

12. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

If you know any other suppliers nationally or in Melbourne, please let me know :)

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

VW heritage are often quickest.
    Usualy about 3 days
    Funny how our internal post can take longer.
    But always check prices as they seem to be at Aussie levels for a lot of things now.

Mordred likes this.
  14. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Do you mean they have stock in Australia? and do they post from the UK in 3 days, even with the custom?

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They post from UK.
    There's also Wolfsburg vw in Melbourne but can't find a parts website.
    Only a flashy new front page extolling their virtues :rolleyes:

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

JK or Mick motors via express post should be only a few days max

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Always try Roy first at Bus Stop

https://www.thebusstop.com.au/

Not the biggest range but the most important - Roy funds this forum and nothing would be possible here without him :)

oldman, syncro and Grantus like this.
  18. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Looking at the list I would regard most things as routine for a vehicle of that age.
    The 3 things that stand out to me as requiring urgent assessment would be the gearbox leak, gear selector shaft seal leak and holes in the floor as they are unknowns.
    PR

19. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Holes in the floor is sorted with the engineer. It was little old holes from old screws and 1 hole of the old sink pipe going through the floor. just need to seal them properly to avoid any fumes from the exhaust coming back (It's just precautions and easy to fix).

For the gear selector shaft leak, the mechanic will look at it. No idea what's that... For the gearbox leak, it's apparently just a little stuff to replace. I am more worry about the time it will take considering the RWC inspection validation date and also VASS Engineer cert. Why do they only give 1 month?

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

So they can rip you off again.

If you order from VW Heritage and they don't have it in stock you will be left waiting. They are a PITA to deal with if anything goes wrong. It could take weeks to contact them. They don't like answering their phone or emails.

Do you still a need a pair of these?

upload_2021-7-4_16-3-27.jpeg

Email me your address and I'll post them. plander(at)optusnet.com.au

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    cbus, oldman, Grantus and 1 other person like this.