1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Roof added on a 1984 VW T3 - Nightmare to register

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Jun 16, 2021.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You pick a university peice of paper over a tradesman.? :D

Sebastien.
    Unfortunately same thing re " on the system" applies.
    But you have 14 or 28? days to rectify and retest .
    No additional costs.
    ( $250 was high)?
    Is that normal VIC costs now?
    Only the failed items should be checked.
    Both items mentioned easily sorted.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    oldman likes this.
  2. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

200 is the average in VIc now for rwc and you have 14 days which are gone now. So I have ti start from scratch again.
    Funny thing now, is that rego of the previous owner expires on mid august. Wondering how to handle it if it goes beyond this date...

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bugger.
    At least you are now free to choose someone else.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think a VASS engineer would know a lot more about compliance than a mechanic. Although the engineer may not be able to fix it.:D

When I went to school most of the people in my class went on to 6th form then university and became engineers, doctors, solicitors, accountants etc. Most of the tradesmen came from the dumb classes. Still I have worked with many engineers and seen a lot of epic fails that tradesmen had predicted.:rolleyes:

If you left school after 4th form (now year 10) you would have 11 years of schooling. If you were a university trained engineer you would have 17 years of schooling. Wouldn't that make you a slow learner?o_O

I don't if I made the correct career choice or not. As an engineer I would have earned a lot less money but my health would have been much better.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I am an Engineer (In Chemistry), and I learn fast Synchro! lol. I just have no clue what a mechanic does or talk about. My Vic Inspector is just either dodgy or incompetent, and I am not even sure he has ever submitted a RWC report when he rejected in the 1st place. I am in full Murphy's law and dealt with the wrong ppl. That's life.

cbus and syncro like this.
  6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Most people on this forum get ripped off at some stage. Welcome to Kombi ownership.

7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Fix those 2 items, take it back and get it passed...

oldman likes this.
  8. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

or, once the 2 items are fixed...
    ...within the 30 day currency of the rejected certificate obtain an independent roadworthy inspection from another Licensed Vehicle Tester to support your claim and present this to the 1st tester.
    PR

9. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

^Sure if thats how it works over there

Seems like he was just doing his job? no vehicle examiner will pass a car with a headlight out - or am I missing something?

Wiz and Wayne murray like this.
  10. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Agree, no Licence Holder or Test Examiner will risk their licence if a vehicle has defects.
    Defect photos would have been uploaded to the Vicroads database on the 1st test but not sure if Vicroads keep them if the eRWC is cancelled by the Licence Holder after the 2nd test fail.
    Yes, Vicroads does allow you to obtain an independent roadworthy inspection and make a written complaint if you feel that the fail is unjustified.
    PR

gazman likes this.
  11. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

You are correct on this point. Apparently he mentioned it orally to the mechanic (the mechanic and the RWC inspector are 2 different garages), who forgot it. Nothing was written on this item though. So fair enough, the day after missing the 14 days time, we came back to the sem RWC inspector with the new headlight installed who told he has no time by Monday next week, and after calling confirming we reissued the VASS engineering cert, he replied, maybe in 3 weeks not sure.
    - Not mentioning he tried:
    1- to make me pay 850 AUD for a pair of headlights because his part supplier told him it can be sold only by pair. I found 1 for 190 AUD at Mick Motors and 1 is enough.
    2- to make certify a hole on the floor where the previous owner did for the water pipe pretexting it was structural... Fortunately, our VASS engineer told him off and said ok to fill it up with a metal plaque with some silicon but this was certainly not a structural issue not even worth mentioning in the cert. She saved us 800 AUD if we to do this other report.

The point is, this is the whole journey which is dreadful, he should have refused the van in the first place if he didn't know how to deal with it, but he preferred to take the 250 AUD and waste our time, make fix maybe some stuff which was not necessary and cost a fortune. I will certainly report this story to VicRoads, which will flag it once this is all done.

Also, I have never seen any report of rejection formally written. So, maybe no RWC report had been issued. That's weird.

12. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the RWC report/paperwork as our system is different (and thankfully less complicated) - pretty sure I'd never get a hole in the floor passed without a decent patch welded in though. Not surprised he's that busy either, we have been booked out 3-4 weeks in advance since covid hit.

13. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

In that case, if the garages are busy, why do we put a VASS Engineering certificate valid for 30 days? Doesn't make any sense.

14. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Beats me, we dont use VASS - maybe you should move to Perth :D

15. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I considered to register the van with my mother in law in Adelaide... Victoria is just very stressful.

16. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Yup, it expires next Tuesday anyway. We will book an appointment with a garagist first, do the 1st inspection, tell him we have the first VASS engineering cert and we can reissue it the day before when the RWC can valid.

Last time actually, issued the VASS Cert 1 week before the RWC day (1st inspection) , and the Inspector found a large list of items to replace, and it took 13 days to fix it.

When you don't know the process and the timeline, you just make some mistakes by lack of knowledge and due to the complexity of the system.

17. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

In Vic, for a plain old roadworthy, a Test Examiner does the 1st test online, uploading photos of defects (e.g. cracked windscreen) and you have 14 days to present the vehicle with all defects repaired. The Test Examiner performing the 2nd test uploads a photo of the new windscreen to prove it was replaced. The Licence Holder then signs off the eRWC, Vicroads have the eRWC on the database, and a copy of the roadworthy certificate is emailed to you.

If a modification from the VSI-8 Modification Guide has been performed (e.g. converting to campervan, fitting a turbo, Subaru engine into Kombi etc.) a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) engineering certificate is required in order to prove that the modification is safe prior to registering the vehicle.
    PR

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Let’s stay on topic …..this thread is about Seastian’s struggle registering his bus in Victoria.
    Off topic may be interesting to some but not necessarily to the original poster.
    Hopefully your inspection woes are sorted out soon.
    Cheers,
    Mark

BrianK likes this.
  19. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Reference to WA removed so that post only clarifies what process the OP is required to follow in Victoria.

oldman likes this.
  20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Wiz ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark