1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Roof added on a 1984 VW T3 - Nightmare to register

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Sebastien, Jun 16, 2021.

1. MartyVS

MartyVS New Member

Am curious how Sebastiens journey has continued. FYI I bought a Syncro from SA Adelaide, and had hells time with the RWC but nothing like Sebastien. IN both instances I had to deal with assessors who had little to no idea about old cars. I made it a point when I booked a second RWC assessment that he was dealing with a 30 year old VW 4WD, when I drove in to his shop his apoplexy over it's age was beyond my comprehension. He also said an engine component was structural and rusty and I had to educate him on how he assessed an exhaust cowling as a "structural chassis component" ..... I despaired! Suffice to say I convinced him that the car was roadworthy with me bashing the shit out of the underside of the body and chassis with a hammer.

2. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

I think I am becoming superstitious! Luna76 advised me a garage, far far away from home (1h30) :) old school type, and I took an appointment. I called them last week, got an appointment for last Monday and got the RWC in less than 2h. I cried a bit when I got it, I have to admit. The tension release was extreme! haha. But yeah, I got my Roadworthy now.
    We decided this last week after the initial RWC inspector kept on telling us, to call in 3 weeks without any commitment and suggest to buy some new headlights, sold by pair only, for 800 AUD!!! It was clear that this guy was trying to rip us off, never wanted to give a RWC, took the money of the 1st inspection (275 AUD GST inc.). This guy also mentioned that a simple hole in the floor was a structural issue. The VASS Engineer explained this hole wasn't at all in a structural place and he acknowledged, proving his incompetence.
    I wait for my registration (Plates) with VicRoads now before reporting his behavior, at least he will be flagged.

@MartyVS, you have a very good point on this and I think it confirms my own experience. Fortunately, you are skilled enough in mechanic to tell the guy off, skills I don't have.

But what I learnt during this process, and hopefully it will help others in the future;
    1- Deal with the right people (For RWC inspectors, call several, but go to someone who has experience with old cars and dealt with them in the past - nothing more frustrating than someone who doesn't know what she/he is talking about when she/he represents an authority)
    2- Don't hesitate to drive 1h+ to find the right person if necessary
    3- Do the modifications after the RWC and after the VicRoads registration (Plates) if possible to avoid the VASS engineering before - Do it after. Then, you won't have to deal with the expiration dates associated both with the VASS cert and the RWC cert (each valid 30 days in VIC). VASS cert is necessary for the RWC cert, so it has to be done before and if the RWC takes too much time, your VASS cert is expired, then you need to ask to the VASS engineer to reissue the VASS cert. It costs them 55 AUD to do so, but they might charge you more and if they want to as well - that's an eventuality you need to talk with them before starting the process
    4- If VASS engineering, or Blue cert, whatever you call in your state, is necessary (In my case, it was, I bought it with a roof modified which had never been certified before in any states), find the right VASS engineer (I know a very good one, don't hesitate to write me, she is awesome and easy to deal with)
    5- If you can avoid LPG gas, please do it. If you need it, before even start to build it yourself, find first a Gas Plumber who will accept to do the cert and ask him advice.
    6- Don't do anything in the rush, bad decisions occur...

Option 7 - You have mates in your network, you are connected, you are lucky, it will be so much easier, but not everybody has this chance.

At the end of the day, I changed a lot of stuff underneath the car (CV Joint, all brakes etc...) which are pricey indeed, but I would have to change them anyway in the future one by one. So the car is safer and now it's done. This money, at least, wasn't wasted. We just paid way too much the parts because we had this 14 days time frame between the first RWC inspection and the 2nd. And we had to choose the most convenient supplier who had everything and was in Melbourne, but we could have used another supplier 40% less expensive (I asked a quote after to this other supplier to compare).

I thank everyone on this forum for the support, and especially Luna76 (for advising me the right RWC Inspector) and Syncro (who sent me a pair of blinker covers - looks good actually!). The value of this forum is invaluable!

Now I am thinking about doing the Plates with Club Permit (With VW Club of Victoria to be more precise). I don't intend to use it more than 90 days a year, and I am curious what you are thinking about it.

Cheers to you all!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    rstucke, David H, cbus and 4 others like this.
  3. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

1. Be aware that there is a proposal on the table to change the rules for recreation registration and changes are likely to be implemented in October. One proposed change is that new recreation registration will require vehicles to be >30 years old.
    2. Check the VASS requirements for recreation registration - you may need a new VASS approval certificate?
    PR

syncro likes this.
  4. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

For the age, I am good. She is from 1984.
    VASS Requirement for recreation rego? If they apply it in October, and I got my rego in August, does it mean I will need to do another VASS cert? Where are the details for this VASS recreation rego?
    They are so creative to tax people, that's amazing.

5. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't give you a definitive answer whether or not the VASS approval certificate you used to obtain current registration is valid for your proposed recreational registration and no help to you if I speculate - you'll need to check with the VW club.
    My intention was to give you a heads up that the current Road Safety (Vehicles) Interim Regulations 2020 are due to be revoked (sunset) on 3 October 2021.
    PR

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It is indeed a minefield.

Take some consolation that even those of us in allied trades get ripped at times.
    Can't always nail it.
    ;)

Sebastien, syncro and oldman like this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Sebastien,
    Been watching and congratulations on the rego & your useful posts for others.:cool:
    If you go to club permit it would mean (to my understanding) it would need to be 'blue slipped' again if next owner wanted 'full rego'.
    Please ;) don't put 'next owner' thru what you've just been thru:(.
    Cheers

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I agree. If you can afford it keep it on full rego. Makes it easier to sell in the future. And who knows what the regulations will be in a few years time? Yours may not be eligible for historic rego in NSW as it is a modified vehicle.

oldman likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

For what it is worth - I keep my tip top on full rego. I just prefer it that way.

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I do the same with my Beetle.

Barry likes this.
  11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You would be able to get it on classical rego, which is equal to historic rego for modified vehicles. Little more paper work needs to be done. The number plates have D up to E know with white and green plates.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that involves engineers.

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It probably would in this case.

14. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

Well, I took an appointment with VicRoads on the 23/08, regular rego... With Lockdowns, the Club might not be opened anyway.
    For info, I used a VASS engineer who did a regular cert for any types of rego. I asked her, and she did say that's valid for both Club and Regular Rego.
    In the future, I have no idea if someone buys it from NSW or any other states, if they will need to do a full engineering cert regardless.

David H and cbus like this.
  15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It must be a NSW engineer for NSW. There is a list of NSW approved engineers. I think that all states would be the same.

16. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

yup and I suppose that if someone in the future wants to buy it, for example in NSW, they will have to go through the same process than mine, even if I have VIC Club Permit plates. But again, I just dealt with the wrong people by lack of knowledge of the sytem.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's why I would be very careful buying modified vehicles from interstate.

I have been told that you do not need engineers report for historic modified vehicle registration. I don't know how modified is within the rules.

18. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

This is incorrect, at least in Victoria. The VW Club of Victoria requested the regular VASS Engineer report + the RWC (Roadworthwy cert). Otherwise, no "Modified" plates.

Wiz likes this.
  19. Sebastien

Sebastien Member

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I just meant NSW. I wouldn't have a clue about other states. Each state is completely different.