1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highway Hiccups

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Kevinthesyncro, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Don’t let those chickens cross that road!!!!
    Ok replaced engine to earth cable and no change to missing! however the faint flicker of oil warning light has gone completely so I am relieved of that.
    Ordered a set of genuine ignition leads from Mick Motors so let’s see what that does
    Cheers Kev

hairyman, Syncro27, Barry and 2 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hah ha....... so you have / had multiple problems

:eek::oops::rolleyes::p:D

oldman likes this.
  3. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Yes indeed but I will get to the bottom of this with the help of you guys, I must admit I was a bit peed off at the beginning but because of this forum and everyone’s input I am turning it into a positive!!!
    Cheers Kev

oldman likes this.
  4. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Gotta love Mick Motors for "Genuine Old Stock OEM" VW bits.

oldman likes this.
  5. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Plug leads didn’t fix the problem, so back to square one??????

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Anyway you can borrow an air flow meter?

7. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

No chance of borrowing arm, I was reading a good article in van again.com about this problem and I am going to order parts from Mick Motors that are recommended because I could do with changing them anyway. It’s a good article and worth the read.
    A couple of things I have found in the engine bay are connections that need to be soldered and a little black thing that looks like it’s earthed to the alternator which is broken? I have no idea what this is and hoping to get a replacement from RS Components today????? I have searched the ID on the part but nothing comes up on the internet???

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Soldering could cause you more problems. Auto electrical trade course teaches never to solder connections.

Can you photo the black thing?

Wiz likes this.
  9. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I can check this arvo if we have an AFM?

oldman and Barry like this.
  10. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

0B9BA7F1-B36E-4A71-859A-77DC0D8657CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2021
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that's just for radio suppression.

12. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

We dont have an air flow meter to sell, but we do have a couple of T3's with known good ones - If you get stuck and need help diagnosing we could swap one over and see if thats the problem...

Syncro27, hairyman, oldman and 2 others like this.
  13. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Gday Kev,

Don't know if this will help, but in our 1974 T2, we had a problem that was intermittent, breaking down on the highway, not all the time, different speeds, different temperatures etc. Random!
    In the end it was the small wire from the points, black from memory, that was failing and causing the problem. The points were replaced and no issues from then on, until the next set of points, when the wire broke completely on the way back from Old Bar a few years ago.
    Then there is a woven wire in the points that also failed, this was a more difficult fix, soldered an extra piece in and that has fixed that one as well.
    Like you, I will now move on to the next emerging kombi problem!!

Best of luck,

Cheers
    Steve

14. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

15. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Hi Steve
    Thanks for the tip. I haven’t had the chance to work on the bus due to home renovations but in the next few days along with some good weather I am going through everything and ordering more service parts from Mick Motors.
    Cheers Kev

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Kev
    IMO, before you go throwing money a parts I would be going for that drive and taking Gazman up on his offer of swapping over the AFM.
    It’s an expensive part, but I reckon it’s the culprit.
    If not - then it really takes a big player out of the game.
    @Luckyphil got a “new” one from overseas a little while ago.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I agree.

It is a likely suspect and it's cheaper than playing parts darts. See if you can borrow a genuine VW harness fix as well.

18. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Hi Phil
    I already changed out the filter cable from GoWesty because it’s a well known problem and the van drove like new, so that really pleased me then after a couple of weeks the hiccups started again. A couple of years ago a local German mobile mechanic (now retired) who used to service the van had a look at the AFM he cleaned it out and resealed the unit but told me not to be surprised if I had to change it, so I also then got a new unit from GoWesty and that finally fixed it all good and now the problem has returned. The thing is this is the first water cooled vehicle I have had in my life so I have never got my head round all the gizmos in the engine bay and this is part of the reason I want to fix this issue myself (with the advice of you guys that is) like John Muir used to say back in the old days “Relax and enjoy the ride” if only he had done a water cooled version of his book!!!!
    Cheers Kev

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of GoWesty made parts or their "fixes".

20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

so you AFM is new?