1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm.. a 1800 or 2 litre camper?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by gdrabs, Jan 18, 2015.

1. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Hi people, I'm wanting to purchase a 2 litre camper thinking that every bit counts when it come to pushing a loaded camper about the place. How ever, if a nice 1800 is available, is there really going to be much practical difference when driving compared to the 2 litre - assuming both motors/gearbox's are fresh.
    I have read that the HP is the same but torque is increased a little.
    Has anyone driven both (comparable condition of course).
    Should I be excluding the possibility of purchasing a really nice original 74 1800 over waiting for a nice 76 2 litre?
    I know there are many influencing factors - but all things being considered equal (although they probably never are), what are your thoughts?
    Many thanks
    Graham

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

It's not going to make that much difference - it's not a race ;)
    If everything on the 1800 ticks your boxes then don't discount it just because it is an 1800. Not worth kicking yourself later that you missed out on the one that got away.
    Sorry, I should say we had an 1800 motor in our bay but when it was getting tired I got offered a nice 2L and gearbox and I changed up to that. It does have a bit more grunt but the 1800 was on its last legs so anything was going to be better.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

overall body and mechanical condition is more important in my opinion.
    take the one that presents best and is going to be least trouble mechanicaly.
    have had both but not run them side by side.
    if available a bit more grunt is always good as these things are often near their limit on performance
    yeah. no help :)

Jackpot likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Agreed. Rust is biggest killer.
    Steering and suspension 2 nd.
    Plenty here have spent more fixing crap steering tha n the price of a rebuild

If both are 100% doubt you can tell the difference.

I know several builders who prefer the 1800 crank set up

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Melissa, if you find a van with everything else you want the motor size should not be a deal breaker.

Bear in mind that the gearboxes on the 2l are slightly taller in gearing for top gear than the 1800 ones, which gives a little higher cruising speed for the same revs. All in all the difference is minimal except in the lower gears you may climb hills a little faster with a 2l than an 1800 equipped van. 2l also have a slightly higher fuel usage, but we are talking a litre or so per 100 km depending on tune, motor condition and load.

Adrian

6. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks all.
    Yes absolutely - over all condition is going to be the key. Hard trying to find one that's in really good original condition with no over-sprays etc.
    A lot easier to sort out some mechanical preferences later.. Sounds like the difference in performance is marginal between two mechanically fresh setups anyhow.
    I'm determined to perceiver because I know time searching is going to save a lot of time and money in the long run.
    I have a request in Wanted - Bay window camper for new home. If any one has or knows of one :)

Graham

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Patience Graham, patience…..
    My 2ltr '76 Sopru hid from me for two years before it stepped into the spotlight.
    The wait is well worth it for the right bus.
    As advised above, the body is THE most expensive component to get right.
    The rest is cheap compared to rust cut'n'shut…respray etc.
    Search the inland papers….good dry buses are quite rare on the coast these days.
    Most good finds are from ACT westward……….
    Cheers, Mark

8. Kev76

Kev76 Member

If you had two kombis that were almost the same I'd take the 2 litre one. I've had both and going up hills you can tell the difference. 1800 still did the job. I wouldn't discount a good 1800. Good luck with your search.

9. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Good advice - patience required. Just hope it's not a 2 year search though, I'm fairly patient but....

Graham

10. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Graham,
    The above replies, ..... Melissa..... C bus...... Old man....... Mordred......et al, represents some serious wisdom of the Kombi ages.
    My two cents worth ( this is an accurate costing) ....... Purchased my metallic mistress, five years ago on the basis that she had done relatively low kilometres and mechanics /electricals in good Nick .
    I figured this was the most important , and did not worry too much about the rust's that was reasonably prevalent on all the horizontal spots . Five years later, watching half my car disappear in the rain , a north of $20,000 rust cut out and respray , have slightly altered my priorities. The body is very important and seems to be the most expensive to rectify .
    2 L is preferable...... Majority of aspiring Kombi owners all seeking 2 L as a preference . That said , a healthy 1800 motor in good tune will outperform an unhealthy 2 L .
    If this Kombi is going to be ' the one'...... then don't rush it. Good Kombis come up from time to time,just have to be quick in the recognition and negotiation . K.C. Members on the east/southern coast can assist , so distance is not as tyrannical as might appear . If you discover something of interest , consider posting on this forum for feedback . good vans are quite often known to members KC.

good luck

JD in Adelaide :cool:

11. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks John, I think your spot on! Definitely need 'the right one'. There are a couple of leads I'm following up and would love any East Coast/South assistance if the Kombi's appear to be in genuine excellent original cond.. It is easy enough to drop a motor and gear box for a freshen up or replace with a rebuilt 2L if needed - like Melissa did with her bus (top of thread). If I get some more info and photos and things look promising I will post for feedback. Not sure what people are actually paying (or what I should) at the moment either. I know that is a personal thing but would like a fair and reasonable deal for all.
    Thanks heaps for your help every one:)
    Graham
    Perth, WA.

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

vans in excellent original nick are few and far between.
    definately on the smart track to seek one but it WILL most likely take some time .
    There are also flippers and other sods that ship them overseas so probably best to ask for for someone to inspect rather than post all contact details on prospective bus lest it be snaffled under you.
    even though it may cost 40k for a full bus resto that doesnt mean that the cost is reflected in resale value.
    also doesnt mean its a quality resto that will last.
    the relevence of this is that a genuine low mileage original bus must have value ,and to some of us, greater desireability than a resto but neither would normaly reach the cost of resto or the prices expected by some.
    even tho someone ill informed or with just too much easy money may pay similar prices , that doesnt mean its reflective of value.
    i would expect a good original bay at around the 20-30k mark but im sure there will be exceptions and many will disagree.
    look at plenty as the 'good one ' is likely to not be advertised or you may need to have some idea of whats expected/available and price to make a quick but reasoned decision.
    good luck.
    col

13. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Ok col, thanks for the feedback - could do with a bit of luck to come my way.
    Graham

14. nickc

nickc Member

15. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks Nick - chap selling says its sold!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Now why does the wording in that ad linked by Nick smell of such a person...?

"They don't come any more original than this Kombi. I bought it in Canberra last year. Until then it had been sitting on blocks in a garage in Canberra for the previous 22 years after the original owner died. Body condition is immaculate and it even has the original cassette deck in it!"

Why wouldn't you keep such a great bus, unless you didn't ever want a great Kombi, and just wanted a big quick profit? :confused:

17. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Yes I sense that they are! Another 'barn find' advertised in Victoria too! A very big profit being made!! Its a shame because it stuffs it up for us all. The owners that are letting these kombi's go to these merchants are probably getting lied too. They (flippers) are posing as kombi's lovers only to then turn around and sell the good will of the previous owners for a quick and probably very large profit.
    Anyhow, must remember there are a lot of nice chaps about too!!
    Appreciate all the suggestions and leads :)

Graham

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Nothing wrong with a 1600 either!

vassy69SC likes this.
  19. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Very true - I suspect plenty of 1600's and earlier all made the journey around Oz... Nothing 'wrong' with any of them;)

Graham

20. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

In fact I'd prefer a 1600 over a 1800 or 2L. Easier to work on and parts are generally cheaper. Also easier to upgrade.

My 1600 runs better and has more power than my last late bay 2L. Just look for something solid and honest. Engine size is not a deciding factor in finding the right bus.